Technics ST-300S Vintage Tuner

jls001

Got myself this tuner yesterday. 1500/- from Chor Bazar. Have been repeatedly visiting this place just looking to pick up a fine tuner and here it is at long last! Very nice. Came with a loop antenna, had to re-solder the wire as one lead had come off, and it worked fine. Have tried only FM. Don't have AM/SW antenna and not really planning to rig one up. Tuning is thru' analog horizontal knob and quite forgiving of lock position (eg 91.1 MHz locks over a fairly wide range and not at a pin-point location on the dial). There is an orange lamp to indicate tuning lock. Of course one can go by the ear too. Tried a Sansui digital display, up/down button tuning type model. Too tedious to tune from one freq to next as each press of the button had an increment of 0.1 MHz. So favoured the Technics. While tuning from one freq to next, there is a suppression of the FM static. Very nice touch.

Downside is I realised how bad Mumbai FM stations sound (in terms of sonic balance):sad:.
Joshua

There's not much info to be had from el Goog but it seems to be solid state. It's too slim to be tube (only 1U height). Also, can't open up the top cover now as last night I did lots of maneouvering to adjust my rack height and place the tuner safely below the pre-amp (the only place I could squeeze it in).
Joshua

people interested in tuners, try to lay your hands on a NAD 402....its legendary and has the performance to match its tag...i own this one...simply fantastic!!

people interested in tuners, try to lay your hands on a NAD 402....its legendary and has the performance to match its tag...i own this one...simply fantastic!!

Thanks for the tip. Will keep this in my radar. But NADs are very difficult to come by.
Joshua

Back