Technics turntable

If they are that old please check if they are shellac records. You will need a turntable/record player that has that a 78 rpm speed option and a cartridge/stylus to play shellac. Audio Technica LP120 has the speed option but u will need to change the cartridge. The ATLP120 comes with a AT95 cartridge. You can replace the stylus with this https://www.amazon.com/PHONOGRAPH-NEEDLE-Technica-AT3400-Stylus/dp/B01JJ74DF2 to play 78 rpm records.
Hi
Plasmoid
I mean old 33 and 45 rpm records and some of them have scratches. For 78 rpm I prefer my vintage Gramophone.
Regards
Bhaskar

Hi
Plasmoid
I mean old 33 and 45 rpm records and some of them have scratches. For 78 rpm I prefer my vintage Gramophone.
Regards
Bhaskar
Hi
Plasmoid
Regards
Bhaskar
Then you can play them on your Technics. When you get it back from repair(hopefully the technician has also checked/replaced check the stylus/cartridge):
1. Connect the turntable cables to the input of the phono preamp
2. Use another set of cables from the line out of the phono pre-amp to the line in(AUX) of your integrated amp.
3. Connect the ground wire of your turntable to the ground connector of your phono-preamp.
4. If your phono pre-amp has an switch for MM and MC, set it to MM (assuming the cartridge is moving magnet).
5. Put on a record, sit back and enjoy the sound of vinyl!

NOTE : On the record front, please wet clean your records( don't use tap water...only distilled or bottled) and dry thoroughly before playing them. Most pops and clicks can be minimized in cleaning. However nothing can be done fro scratches.

My view of the ideal shot for a beginner or someone who grew up on HMV/Philips equipment and wants to dig deeper:

(1) Get a Technics Direct Drive turntable, prefer the manual or semi-automatic ones. Finding one in good condition is difficult hence don't be impatient. A quick kill will often lead to heartbreak. Never go by glossy looks and high prices. There are lots of sellers out there who polish stuff and sell them as New Old Stock. Also there are some sellers pitch fully serviced vintage turntables. Be cautious as in the turntable world in India, fully refurbished or serviced means, cleaning up the deck, putting some oil here and there and making it run. This is not really a restoration job and in most cases substitute or non-standard parts are used. Cutting to the chase, its better to consult with or forum members or better still, take someone who knows his stuff, with you when you are going out to buy.

((2) Go for a decent moving magnetic cartridge. Again this choice depends on some factors. You'd need to have an amplifier with a moving magnet phono stage to use it. There are many models out there with exotic pricing especially in the Indian market but a quick search online and a few dollars can get you to good entry level stuff. Brands like Audio Technica, Shure, Ortofone make quality products in this category (Shure has since discontinued cart manufacturing)

(3) Get a decent 2 channel amp - here I am very biased by recommending NAD. The older NADs have inbuilt phonostages which are very good

(4) A decent pair of speakers to go with the amplifier

(5) Some good records (condition wise)

If your collection includes older records, especially ones which have been procured pre-used, a Technics turntable with the S-Shaped tonearm with a Shure M44-7 cart will enable a lot of enjoyment. This combination can track almost any record.

Hello Reuben,

How you have been? :)

This is top class advice (as usual coming from you) and among the most perfect ways to 'dig deeper'. I was little out of touch from the forum for a while and hence can't help notice that the prices of turntables, carts and stylii and even records have skyrocketed in so little time! At least this is the impression that I got from the online sellers. For Eg. the Shure M44-7 that you just spoke about is retailing for at least 14K!! And the stylus is anything north of 6K!! I'd myself like to hoard a couple of Stylli for my M44-7, but that exorbitant price is holding me back. :D That is a lot of money as compared to a just few years ago. I'm not sure about the prices abroad though.

Regards,
Saket.

Always special to hear from you Saket. While you were away, Shure closed shop from a cart and stylus perspective and as a result, the price of Shure carts and styli skyrocketed world wide. However the saving grace is that this is for mostly stuff being sold as new or new old stock. Pre-used prices more or less remain the same. Don't worry, after some time, things will fall back in order after the shock factor dies out :)

Thanks Reuben! Yes, I read the news when Shure announced that. Honestly was little nerving to read since we are die-hard fans of Shure.:)
Hopefully, as you said, the prices will normalize.

Dear Bhaskar, Please update us on the repair job as and when it progresses. Will try to help in with my knowledge on subject, though limited.

Regards,
Saket.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back