Teesri Manzil - Sony DADC Vinyl Review

Method 1 : Master Tape>EQ>CD>EQ>New Pressing.
Method 2 : Vinyl>ADC>New Pressing

It's doubtful that track/channel-wise info can be extracted from CD source since CD is the sum of all tracks/channels mixed together. Unless one can break down a song into its component tracks, real remastering can't be done. The only thing that can perhaps be done is to do some denoising (plus tick and pop removal, if source is vinyl) and EQ-ing of the mix.

I wonder if Indian record labels retain their master tapes or not :confused:

That is the problem Joshua. The multi billion ruppe Bollywood industry have not kept master tapes of music.

As only source are Made in England CDs and Vinyl I was thinking least amount of processing to the original. If source is vinyl all we have to do is record from vinyl as is (vinyl already has Pre-emphasis RIAA eq.) remove noise clicks pops. and subtle changes to the tone/instruments/music. That too if required.

There were some samples/posts on diyaudio (by gpapag ?) where absolutely ruined 78's were restored to their full glory.
Regards.

That is the problem Joshua. The multi billion ruppe Bollywood industry have not kept master tapes of music.

As only source are Made in England CDs and Vinyl I was thinking least amount of processing to the original. If source is vinyl all we have to do is record from vinyl as is (vinyl already has Pre-emphasis RIAA eq.) remove noise clicks pops. and subtle changes to the tone/instruments/music. That too if required.

There were some samples/posts on diyaudio (by gpapag ?) where absolutely ruined 78's were restored to their full glory.

Regards.

I have many many made in UK CDs. Back then digital capture was in its infancy. Many of these CDs were taken from LP record sources but their sound was boosted for cd and most likely compressed. They were further processed and re-released as Made in India version CDs with different cover art. Those versions do not sound as good as the made in U.K. CDs. Regardless - those masters for those CDs are not great to begin with. To get the best sound the best option (if we don't have master tapes) is to pull sound from a LP in a lossless WAV format.

I played the Sony Umrao Jaan last night. I'll eventually post a full review but when I compare with the CD and original release LP I find the sound to muted. It sounds processed and compressed. That isn't what I am looking for on vinyl.

I agree m_007.
I have couple of Made in england CDs. I dont have good ears but they are better than India CDs. And to be honest compared to same song on vinyl the england CDs sound little too clinical.
Regards.

There was never any master tapes archive.

Whatever was left of original tapes was destroyed in a fire at HMV's storage in Dum Dum, Kolkata.

The made in England CDs used mainly vinyls as their sources but since the digitalizing of analog music had just started there never was good NR and digital processing power to polish the captured analog audio, so what we got and still get from Saregama is very basic low res capture which is even inferior that today's built in cheapest sound card can do.

Saregama still is digitalizing their archive but have no hope as they are doing a batch processing kind of job, a fixed NR applied to the capture and in that process trimming the highs and muddying the lows.

It's really a sad affair.

Saregama is sitting on a goldmine and yet whatever they dug out is mud.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back