Test Source Material

ranjeetrain

Everyone needs help setting up their system. Especially people who are starting with the hobby.

For new people it might just be plainly daunting to place their speakers well in to their listening room. Here is some help. Some test tracks that you can use to help you set up your system.

The link I am posting is only applicable to two-channel setup. I will post more as I come across. Though, these are pretty straight-forward, anyone any question regarding how to use these files is welcome to ask any questions here.

Odyssey Audio Test CD

These tracks will allow you to test the frequency response (broad placement) and set the stereo image accurately (toe-in/toe-out help).

I have a few Stereophile test CDs too. This has tests for frequency, channel, depth of soundstage and many other things, including some excellent test tracks. If anyone is in the Bangalore area they are welcome to PM me if they would like to borrow it.

Can someone help me with how to configure this please ?
I could make out that there is left and right channel identification and test files for multiple frequencies and finally a passage that goes from left to right. Does this set up needs some sort of SPL meters to set up the system properly ?

Is there a step by step guide anywhere ?

Thanks.

regarding the test subject what should be the ideal test sequences for a movie only case.....
in my idea
1.silence to test noise
2.gunshot for that punch/hit
3.dialogues without bass(a non drama scene)...for voice clarity
4.drama scene for the bassy effect...

in my opinion bond movies are very good for all posssible sequences....

gurus please pardon my ignorance and comment....:)

Last edited:
Can someone help me with how to configure this please ?

There is only one track in this collection which allows you to set up the stereo image. Track 12 - Stereo Image Setup. While using this track, do this:

(1) Firstly listen to this track with the help of a headphone. The track has panning from left to right, right to left, through center. You have to identify the clicks (better just count them and write down on a piece of paper) as to which click should be positioned where. You can number the clicks and mark their position in this fashion:

Click 1: Extreme left
Click 2: Wide center
Click 3: Wide center
Click 4: Center right
Click 5: Extreme right

And so on...

(2) Then hook your speakers. First keep them as apart as possible without making them touch the room boundaries. Also try to make a equal-sided triangle with the speakers and your listening position (This is advised for most but not all speakers). Then play the track and position yourself in the listening position.

(3) Compare the sound-stage and try to pin-point the source of sound and match it with your notes you created in step 1.

(4) Play with the position, move the speakers slightly left-right/forward-backward to compensate for the room gain and reflections that might be messing with the stereo image.

(5) Try hanging a rug on a cloth drying stand on an experimental basis to see if reflections are causing a de-focussed sound-image. Though the probability of such a thing happening will only be in very bright rooms, but still.

(6) If you are unable to hear the "center" sound in dead-center, toe in your speakers.

(7) If you are not getting enough wide sound-stage and your room is small, try toeing out your speakers. This will only work in acoustically good rooms. An acoustically good room should not be bright but at the same time it should not be totally dead.

Note: A SPL meter is a good tool to have, but not mandatory. Most humans can recognize +-2 dB changes in a single tone (personally I can recognize even 1 dB change on a single tone). So, don't feel handicapped if you don't have a SPL meter.

Note 2: Try to do this setup at night with lights dim (or off). Contrary to what many people feel, the ability of human brain to process audio signals increases when it doesn't have to simultaneously process visuals. So, having a dark room will help you pinpoint the sound source more easily.

Hope this helps :)

I want to add - The Stereophile disk (that Stax talked about) is much much better (more comprehensive) than the Odyssey disk. If you can get a hold of that disk, it will help you a lot more.

@hdr77

Btw, Stereophile disk is not a free internet download, it's a commercially available product. If you look around you can find it. And since you are in the same city as Stax, you may as well PM him for help.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back