The Anatek Blue ESR Meter - Assembly & info

Amarbir[Lynx-India]

Author : Amarbir Singh Dhillon
Dated :1-3-2010
Rev :N/a
Hi ,
This is a instrument what is used to test the ESR of a meter [ Capacitor Etc ] .What do i mean by ESR ,Its basically called Equivalent Series Resistance .ESR is the resistance thats given by the component even if its fine and working .Taking into example this picture i have made

1z6wls8.jpg

You will see that in this circuit a capacitor is used .Now a capacitor will let AC voltage pass via it and not any DC voltage .But even when AC is passing Via the capacitor ,The capacitor in question still poses very little resistance to the AC flow ,this resistance is called ESR in any circuit .All good capacitors have very low ESR value and hence let the AC pass Via it very nicely .Now Let Us show You why Having a ESR meter is must in repairing of products .

Why Have a ESR Meter

Well Let Us consider a example that we have a Computer SMPS To Test ,Upon Testing I Noticed that the whole god Damn SMPS circuit Was Fine .While Testing i had taken out the Main Two Filter Capacitors And Tested Them With a Digital Multimeter .According To My State Of The Art Protek 608 Multimeter Those Capacitors Were Having a right Micro Farad Value Within toleration Limit Of +- 10% and Also The Capacitor Was Not Leaky An Short .Having Racked My Brains On this SMPS i Finally Decided To Replace The Filter Caps Out Of Kicks ,Once I soldered New Caps In Place Of Old One And started the SMPS It started To Work ,I Was Like :eek: .So I Dug Up the internet and found Out that its due to Some Facts ,Well Let Me Posts The Facts In Question .

Protek Mutimeter 608 [ Best Mutimeter In the World ]

rgvxnk.jpg

So What Happened

Well when i tested the caps with the digital meter the caps were ok so how come .Well what had happened that the ESR value [ Resistance Value ] of the Capacitor Had Increased and the Same was Not Letting The AC Voltage Pass Via It Properly In the circuit and Hence Malfunctioning the SMPS .So The digital Meter could not Test the ESR Or the Capacitor Damn :D .

The Quest For The ESR Meter

Hence I started Finding Out About ESR Meters From The Internet And Came To a Designer's Website In Australia Called Mr Bob Parker .Bob Parker Had Designed a ESR Meter Using a Zilog MCU And Published It In Silicon Chip a Australian Electronic Magazine . Well Dick Smith electronics then Made a Full Kit That they Sold all Across The World On Bob Parkers Design .I Have That Meter By dick Smith Electronics .Now unfortunately dick Smith does not Sell Kits Anymore and Hence the Dick Smith Kit Is Not Available anymore . Well Some Other People Have now Taken the Project and Sell The Kits ,One such Popular Kit Is By Ana-tek in USA . The Main Page Of Anatek Is Here -> www.anatekcorp.com .I Would Also Like To Mention The Name Of another Brilliant ESR Meter Thats Has Noting To Do With bob Parker And His Design ,This Is the ESR Meter By Peak Electronics UK .The Website Link Is -> www.peakelec.co.uk .

The ESR Meter From Anatek

30s7skk.jpg

The ESR Meter From Peak

nxs5kx.jpg

Our Initiative

We Have signed Up With Both The Brilliant Manufacturers And Designers of ESR Meter And Have Plans to Get Them To india .You will Here About The Same Soon .

The Anatek Blue ESR Kit

ea32oy.jpg

My ESR Meter Details

Well As Explained Earlier I Have A Dick Smith ESR Meter At My Disposal ,Here Are Some Brilliant Shots Of The Same Clicked Just For you .

The Main Meter

20z6xxh.jpg

This Is The Meter Assembled By Me Around 2.5 Years Ago At sirsa Where in I Used To Handle A College by the Chautala Family [ Ex CM Haryana ] .

The ESR Meter Stand [ Self Design ]

2yw5vg4.jpg

Well This Metal Cover Came with The Meter Itself .I Do Not Think dick Smith electronics And Any Other Assembler In The World Had a Brighter Idea Then Me Before Of How To Use It .I Would Send This Link To bob Parker So That He Gets To Know This ,Hey Bob :D

The Soldering done [ You Cannot Make Out It Done By Hand ]

2ni3edt.jpg

Have a Look At the Soldering Done ,This Is Hand soldered By Me .Have a Look At the Quality Of soldering Jog Done .

The Assembled stage

2u90som.jpg

This Is The Assembled Version Of The Same With All components Mounted In The Same .Cheers ...

Conclusions

A Must for a Repair Tech And A Dream for a SMPS Repair Professional ,A Amp And Other Circuit Repair Tech .

Good stuff! Maybe you shud distribute pamphlets in the gullies of every electronics market in major cities ? Coz most ppl making purchases and hunting around I see are not Internet saavy...

Back