The AVR 3300 is overheating and entering standby mode.

sreenathplus

The AVR 3300 has gone into standby mode and overheating. The issue began when I switched the subwoofer from left to right. The technician stated it was because of the speakers; he checked the speakers and the subwoofer; he suggested it could be the subwoofer cable since there was an issue; he changed the wire, but the problem remained. Then we figured out that the rear speaker was damaged, so we assumed it was the cause, but after repairing it, the problem persisted. We tested the speaker with another AVR and it worked perfectly. Finally, he stated that the problem could be with a power board; it took 4 months because he could not obtain a replacement. He replaced the board, but the problem remained: the AVR was out of warranty. I'm from Hyderabad. Can somebody assist me in repairing it?

Welcome to the forum.

How old is the receiver and how long does it take to heat up? Does it work fine till the over heating happens?

1. Try unplugging all speakers. Leave just the front speakers. See if you notice a change
2. Remove all inputs, just leave one input and see if there is a change.

Also, hows the ventilation around the receiver? Could you post a picture of your rack?

MaSh

The AVR 3300 has gone into standby mode and overheating. The issue began when I switched the subwoofer from left to right. The technician stated it was because of the speakers; he checked the speakers and the subwoofer; he suggested it could be the subwoofer cable since there was an issue; he changed the wire, but the problem remained. Then we figured out that the rear speaker was damaged, so we assumed it was the cause, but after repairing it, the problem persisted. We tested the speaker with another AVR and it worked perfectly. Finally, he stated that the problem could be with a power board; it took 4 months because he could not obtain a replacement. He replaced the board, but the problem remained: the AVR was out of warranty. I'm from Hyderabad. Can somebody assist me in repairing it?
AVR 3300 - Onkyo HTIB?

It might be due to some bad transistors in the amplifier section causing the heating issue. I manufacture amplifiers and when there is such issue changing the transistors like 558 and 548 solves the problem.
But once such branded AVRs start to give problems it is hard to rectify. Even after repairing they fail after sometime. It is best to find someone locally who can repair it otherwise it will cost a lot to get it repaired from service center and they would not give much warranty on the repair.
You can also search for used AVR on olx which has not been repaired or go for a new one.

It might be due to some bad transistors in the amplifier section causing the heating issue. I manufacture amplifiers and when there is such issue changing the transistors like 558 and 548 solves the problem.
But once such branded AVRs start to give problems it is hard to rectify. Even after repairing they fail after sometime. It is best to find someone locally who can repair it otherwise it will cost a lot to get it repaired from service center and they would not give much warranty on the repair.
You can also search for used AVR on olx which has not been repaired or go for a new one.
Check for earthing or somewhere short circuit with the speaker cables

I wasn't feeling well, so I couldn't respond. I went to a technician referred by a forum member. We conducted analyses with all speakers, one speaker, and various speakers. It's not overheating; he stated there appear to be no issues with the power board; the problem may be ventilation. It runs perfectly when kept with open ventilation, but when we place any object above it, it goes into standby mode. * The technician is still watching to see if there is another cause.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-25 at 19.05.17.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-25 at 19.05.17.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 15
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-25 at 19.05.25.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-25 at 19.05.25.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 15
I wasn't feeling well, so I couldn't respond. I went to a technician referred by a forum member. We conducted analyses with all speakers, one speaker, and various speakers. It's not overheating; he stated there appear to be no issues with the power board; the problem may be ventilation. It runs perfectly when kept with open ventilation, but when we place any object above it, it goes into standby mode. * The technician is still watching to see if there is another cause.
Then use this.
AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5 Quiet Dual 80mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://amzn.eu/d/dbY7Nmhit keeps avr as cool as ice block
AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5 Quiet Dual 80mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://amzn.eu/d/8c8BPlb

Then use this.
AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5 Quiet Dual 80mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://amzn.eu/d/dbY7Nmhit keeps avr as cool as ice block
AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5 Quiet Dual 80mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://amzn.eu/d/8c8BPlb
If it's working fine with the technician then it's more the reason to check your earthing

Ventilation. Key Word. Receivers need plenty of ventilation around them. Do Not keep them inside cabinets, covered shelves or place things over them. You'll find this mentioned in its manual too.

MaSh

The spacing seems fine
I have been using my Onkyo AVR in even tighter space for years and there is no problem at all. I have used multiple Onkyo AVRs there and all worked fine.
And yes do not keep anything on the AVR as heat gets out mostly from the top. These AVRs do not have fans so need some space above for the warm air to pass through the top.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back