The Beast is here - SVS PB 1000

Even the pb13 ultra had very poor mid Bass response. This problem is common with all the ported svs subs (i have no idea about the sealed svs subs however)and the reason is:
Svs basically tune their subwoofer to produce flattest response up to 16hz, and that to in an anechoic chamber. So when you use these subs in our smallish (relatively) Indian rooms, the low frequency (<35hz) tend to get a lot of room gain, which inturn masks the mid Bass slam.
So, ported svs subs are very good for movies, but for music, I don't think so.
May be the sealed svs subs will perform better with the mid Bass slam. Those who have heard and possess the sealed svs subs can enlighten here.
I haves owned a pb13 ultra. It could shake the entire house and was able to pressurise the room so we'll but mid Bass was literally absent. My onkyo 8 inch sub was able to produce more mid Bass than the legendary pb13 ultra

Even the pb13 ultra had very poor mid Bass response. This problem is common with all the ported svs subs (i have no idea about the sealed svs subs however)and the reason is:
I heard total 4. Two were Sealed.Sound signature of all of them is similar.Ported goes deeper than sealed one.I was hoping to get better mid bass in sealed,but no difference.

An avsforms friend of mine bought a rythmik fv15hp sub. Here to said the same thing. Volume levels were insane, could dig very deep, but the rythmik was missing the mid Bass slam. He also owned the psb subseries300 and the subseries500, and he said that, though the psb's were not as loud as the rythmik, they were much cleaner, faster and could produce a lot of punch, and over all, he felt the psb subs to be better sounding than the rythmik.
From the reviews and owner feedbacks, I believe that the fv15hp and the pb13 ultra have similar response.
The legendary seaton submersives have tons of mid Bass and these subs have rave reviews.
Even the $1000 psa s1500 have a lot of mid Bass.
It would be great if some dealer would import the PSA subs the same way as the svs and rythmik

I remember some of old B&W subs had better bass.There was not only tight midbass ,but had deep punch SW were very fast too.

Svs basically tune their subwoofer to produce flattest response up to 16hz, and that to in an anechoic chamber. So when you use these subs in our smallish (relatively) Indian rooms, the low frequency (<35hz) tend to get a lot of room gain, which inturn masks the mid Bass slam.
So, ported svs subs are very good for movies, but for music, I don't think so.
May be the sealed svs subs will perform better with the mid Bass slam. Those who have heard and possess the sealed svs subs can enlighten here.
I haves owned a pb13 ultra. It could shake the entire house and was able to pressurise the room so we'll but mid Bass was literally absent. My onkyo 8 inch sub was able to produce more mid Bass than the legendary pb13 ultra
Thanks for this post. I have the same experience with my Klipsch. I hear Dali subs are much better that way

Hi, Long time. How's the beast doing?

Well as i didn't has any experience with sub woofer earlier, i always thought more boom boom base means better bass but after testing this lil beast and reading on the internet, my thoughts actually changed. That is, its about the quality of bass not the quantity that 80% people go for. They judge the sub on how much bass they produce but actually forgetting that the real bass means CLEAN and accurate, where the sub can blend easily with your system and you wont notice where the sub is. So if i go for output and hard bass, no SVS pb 1000 doesn't have that, but its bass is clear , without distortion, able to give you and your room shivers (depending on the perfect placement and hit n trial methods of calibration).

In short, i am satisfied, cuz if i say bass is low, i tried pushing this sub to its limits but tbh it gave me headattack after listening to it for like 30 mins, so i don't think you can watch a full movie. So now crossover sits at 80, volume on 60-65%, AVR sub level on 00Db or -1.00DB and i am loving the clean, without fatigue bass that i can hear all day long.

Well as i didn't has any experience with sub woofer earlier, i always thought more boom boom base means better bass but after testing this lil beast and reading on the internet, my thoughts actually changed. That is, its about the quality of bass not the quantity that 80% people go for. They judge the sub on how much bass they produce but actually forgetting that the real bass means CLEAN and accurate, where the sub can blend easily with your system and you wont notice where the sub is. So if i go for output and hard bass, no SVS pb 1000 doesn't have that, but its bass is clear , without distortion, able to give you and your room shivers (depending on the perfect placement and hit n trial methods of calibration).

In short, i am satisfied, cuz if i say bass is low, i tried pushing this sub to its limits but tbh it gave me headattack after listening to it for like 30 mins, so i don't think you can watch a full movie. So now crossover sits at 80, volume on 60-65%, AVR sub level on 00Db or -1.00DB and i am loving the clean, without fatigue bass that i can hear all day long.

You figured it out :)

Many people for some reason love the boom boom sound for bass that was in the early 2000 auto-rikshaws, that is nausea inducing :eek: Ofcourse noone can tolerate that for more than 10 minutes.

Enjoy your svs, good for movies

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back