The best beginners electronics hands-on intro ?

gobble

Folks

Where can I find a simple (less than 175 pages) intro to electronics with a DIY hands-on kit bundled? I want to practice soldering and build a simple circuit to warm up for my DIY preamp kit. It should also simplify and explain how to check things with a multimeter and its operation.

Regards

Folks

Where can I find a simple (less than 175 pages) intro to electronics with a DIY hands-on kit bundled? I want to practice soldering and build a simple circuit to warm up for my DIY preamp kit. It should also simplify and explain how to check things with a multimeter and its operation.

Regards

Here we get it in the name of hobby kits...good for newbies in the field of DIY..especially soldering...
try local electronics shops.. for details about operation and checking etc,there are books available...
books on circuit layouts and how to DIY...hope these helps..what kinda pre-amp are you gonna make.. :)

gobble,

There are many sites...
go here Studying Electronics

read circuit symbols list...

Read specially this page :
paper.gif

(Components,how they look and what pins to use)
Electronic Components
Shopping:
grab a resistance box from sproad 30Rs, 2 vero boards 10 ,1bread board Rs70 + components for a simple project (say 555 timer alarm with buzzer)
other stuff like solder wire connecting wire etc ...

Steps1:
do a breadboard assembly 1st
bread board takes components in socket holes , no need to solder.This is to build confidence...
Step2:
if it works well go for soldering on the vero board...

Here we get it in the name of hobby kits...good for newbies in the field of DIY..especially soldering...
try local electronics shops.. for details about operation and checking etc,there are books available...
books on circuit layouts and how to DIY...hope these helps..what kinda pre-amp are you gonna make.. :)

Its a diy assembly kit - One really doesn't need to understand the stuff, just get good at soldering and doing some basic checks. Instructions come with photos hence its said to be easy assemble only thing.

I need to locate good electronics stores in Bangalore. Is SP road the only place? Whats the best DIY kit around?

Regards

gobble,

There are many sites...
go here Studying Electronics

read circuit symbols list...

Read specially this page :
paper.gif

(Components,how they look and what pins to use)
Electronic Components
Shopping:
grab a resistance box from sproad 30Rs, 2 vero boards 10 ,1bread board Rs70 + components for a simple project (say 555 timer alarm with buzzer)
other stuff like solder wire connecting wire etc ...

Steps1:
do a breadboard assembly 1st
bread board takes components in socket holes , no need to solder.This is to build confidence...
Step2:
if it works well go for soldering on the vero board...

I think I can start with the flashing lights project. what is a breadboard known here as in colloquial electronics?

Do I ask for resistors by the values listed in the project?

Flashing LED Project

TIA
Regards

flashing led is not bad .. resi by value some shops will give
in sp road, just ask 10 pcs of each value..else they will get angry !..

take a 60/40 solder for practice..
silver solder is recommended for audio,bit expensive.

flashing led is not bad .. resi by value some shops will give
in sp road, just ask 10 pcs of each value..else they will get angry !..

take a 60/40 solder for practice..
silver solder is recommended for audio,bit expensive.

Thanks. Whats a 60/40 solder? Tin/lead ratio?

Is Goot brand soldering iron available there? What other brands are good?

Regards

Hi,

You can also buy old editions of Electronics for You from waster-paper shop. I was an avid reader of that magazine until my career took a turn.

Even if it does not give you more basic ideas, of course there are sections for a layman to read, it will give you a lot of insight into electronics, advancement in technologies, etc.

Otherwise, other forum members have given you good suggestions.

Cheers!

I think I can start with the flashing lights project. what is a breadboard known here as in colloquial electronics?
Breadboard is also called Project Board and easily available in SP Road. I bought mine from a shop next to Astro Computers. This is in the road before you take a left to reach S.P Road. I recently found a good shop for electronic components - Vishal Electronics (it is on your left at around 200 meters from start of S.P Road)

Even I wanted to start learning electronics by doing a flashing LEDs project and have bought a few LEDs, 12 Volts Adaptor, Single Strand Wire etc. I am yet to start:eek:

SOLDRON is a good brand if you are looking to buy a soldering iron and Quickfix(IIRC) makes good flux.

Also, like Kaushik has mentioned....S.P.Road chaps are very impatient and will not entertain small quantities and even try explaining what each components does (I experienced this). So do your homework before you go there and ask with confidence:).

Breadboard is also called Project Board and easily available in SP Road. I bought mine from a shop next to Astro Computers. This is in the road before you take a left to reach S.P Road. I recently found a good shop for electronic components - Vishal Electronics (it is on your left at around 200 meters from start of S.P Road)

Even I wanted to start learning electronics by doing a flashing LEDs project and have bought a few LEDs, 12 Volts Adaptor, Single Strand Wire etc. I am yet to start:eek:

SOLDRON is a good brand if you are looking to buy a soldering iron and Quickfix(IIRC) makes good flux.

Also, like Kaushik has mentioned....S.P.Road chaps are very impatient and will not entertain small quantities and even try explaining what each components does (I experienced this). So do your homework before you go there and ask with confidence:).

Thanks Santhol. Whats the price of a 30W soldering iron? Solder? When I start my preamp I plan to use silver solder. What price is it? Whats the normal quantity available?

Regards

Thanks Santhol. Whats the price of a 30W soldering iron? Solder? When I start my preamp I plan to use silver solder. What price is it? Whats the normal quantity available?

Regards
Sorry gobble, I haven't a clue. Even I am interested to know what the current market prices are. I bought my "Soldron" Soldering Iron, Spring like stand, flux and two reel of solder atleast 10 years ago and have so far used it only for auto electricals. Should put it to better use now. Silver Solder is also new to me.

Note:
Soldron has many fakes... you must buy from om electr. shop.
or online (soldron site)..if u buy online order aluminum tips too...
you will love to use it.

One of the best irons for less is goot iron
Goot KX/KS - 30 Watts Basic Soldering Iron ? Lynx-The Electronics & Computer Superstore
this one is genuine.

Quickfix(IIRC) is soso .. gets dirty all the time ...
better get a tube flux in mobile parts shop.

silver solder is 1700Rs /kg ..1 comes as 500gram =800Rs

you may want to check Elektor's 30x series. Elektor has now relaunched in India after a gap of 5 years. check elektor.in , could get some details.

ko tilmaan - Lulu.com

Ko Tilman has written electronics in a very DIY mindset way. All the books are superb to understand concepts and built . Hi videos are are very popular on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/AllAmericanFiveRadio

Superb for basics and even more basics <His book on tubes is outstanding

Talking electronics Australia by Colin Mitchell

His series of books which can be procured still i think are simply the top 3 best basic
electronics .Very few can explain the concept behind a capacitor better.Infact Dave Jones of EEV blog fame did a youtube video on Colin and on ESP Sound (Rod Elliot)

Intuitive Analog Electronics: From Electron to Op Amp
by Thomas M. Frederiksen

A true master teacher.Difficult to procure this book .

Basic Electronics by Marvin Tepper ( Six books ) ....US reprint used to be published by Taraporewala ,Mumbai

Brilliant example of how to communicate electronic concepts .Every page has a picture ....visual treat.Mostly tube ...but has intro Ge transistors as they were just emerging.

There are about another 15-20 books..... If FMs are interested i can post a complete list here.

There is no need to get an instruction manual to learn basic electronics and soldering. Soldering is one of the easiest crafts to learn. Before going down the electronics highway, start with soldering first. Buy yourself a soldering iron (10 watt or 20 watt), some solder (usually comes in a roll) and solder flux (wax contained in a small shoe polish sized tin). Get some ordinary hook-up wires, clean the ends and practice joining them up together by soldering the ends. Once you master that, get yourself a bread board (PCB with open connectors below) and practice soldering hook-up wire ends to the bread board, both after running the wires through the component holes and also directly to the connectors underneath. Once you master this, you are an expert at soldering. I learnt this when I was about 9 years old so I am sure, anybody can.

Here's an interesting tutorial that can help: http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_EN.pdf

Assuming that you know the basics of how to connect wires (to a bulb, a switch, etc), electronics will be very easy to understand. I would suggest you learn by avoiding PCBs and plug in components. Learn what the symbols signify, learn some basic wiring, learn how to distinguish polarity, semiconductor pin configurations and you are good to go. Learn to draw simple circuits and then learn to put together simple circuits using a bread board. Plug-in, solder and play PCBs are the lazy man's deal. My dad always used to get me to build projects on bread boards and tag boards so that I understand circuit design much better :)

Last edited:
I had Jetking's Mr. Circuit 30-in-1 kit way back when I was in school. Recently got another kit for a relative from US; it is same kit which Jetking rebranded and sold here:

Electronics Kits: Mr. Circuit I, II, III Labs 32EKIMR1, 32EKIMR2, 32EKIMR3

It has basics of electronic parts, circuit diagrams, simple circuits and all the parts you need including breadboard. Great kit for learning electronics. I got hooked to DIY electronics because of this kit.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back