The best DIY amp design so far.- newbie Guide.

tnvijay

Hi to all DIY gurus,
Wishing to start a thread on the advantages and performance features of a various designs of amplifier
1.JLH
2.HIRAGA
3.SYMASYM
4.GEM AMPLIFIER
5.ZEN
6.DOZ
7.Plain GAINCLONE
8.MYREF
9.MINIREF and so on.
My question is for a DIYer which design / topology offers the best audiophile quality? Additional points would be for ease of build, and availability of parts,as well as Economy. I know this forum has great people who have designed amps themselves and also constructed most of the above. This discussion might be a helpful guide to budding DIY enthusiasts.

each amplifier will do things differntly

each will work well with a particular set of speakers

shortlist them wrt to the speakers you wish to drive or plan to drive

let FMs
know your aim
your speaker

only then will you get relevant replies

@magma,
I am a fan of single FR drivers. currently using Boston HI Q in a sealed Enclosure. planning to build a TABAQ with tymphany drivers( Linuxguru source).My present amplifier is miniref.While I am extremely happy with this set up, I am curious to learn about other amplifiers too.A modest 10 to 20 watts is okay for me.
In addition to my particular requirement, I would solicit reviews and opinions from other diyers about the various designs.
TIA.

I no longer browse internet like old days for 'Gyan'. But whatever I have gathered I would suggest you search/learn for

Pass F5 amplifier
Mauro Penasa My ref amp (Our very own Linuxguru has contributed some refinements)
Peter Daniels Gainclone
Pavel Dudeks Gainclone
Tripath TA2020 (Ready modules available (Arjen Helder)
Susan Parker zeus amplifier
Prof. Leach Amplifier
Rod elliott P3a Amplifier

I have no knowledge of electronics and have not built any, but some how I found above amps interesting to read. There may be many more DIY amps but In my opinion above are significant in some way or other, either by Popularity, circuit design ideas, implementation, highly acclaimed etc.
Regards.

@magma,
I am a fan of single FR drivers. currently using Boston HI Q in a sealed Enclosure. planning to build a TABAQ with tymphany drivers( Linuxguru source).My present amplifier is miniref.While I am extremely happy with this set up, I am curious to learn about other amplifiers too.A modest 10 to 20 watts is okay for me.
In addition to my particular requirement, I would solicit reviews and opinions from other diyers about the various designs.
TIA.
Since you like fullrange drivers, there was initiation for special full range drivers mfg. by Mark Audio on diyAudio specially for AMPCAMP AMP (A single ended low (but enough) power amp).
Regards.

Hi Vijay,
All of the Amps mentioned by you and Hiten are great. Amp Camp is a great little amp, very easy and cheap to build.It runs on Laptop power brick. I am using it in my main system with DIY DCB1 buffer. One of my FM friend nraghunadha is exactly same combination with Diy speakers built from Boston Hi Q international drivers. He is very happy with the combination. His other amp is DIY Dynaco ST 70.
You can check the thread here http://www.hifivision.com/diy/47193-my-cute-ampcamp-built.html

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:
Hi Vijay,

I'm using an Amp Camp, too although not yet so extensively as some additions have to be done in that line. Sure would appreciate if you can give us your impressions of using the Miniref amplifier.

I would like to reccommend Prof. Leach Amplifier and Rod elliott P3a Amplifier. both are easy to build, easy to sourse components and good vocals. if you can add a good protection circuit to the P3A, it is a gem. another great design is Rod's P68. it is driving atleast 5 subs I made and sold in the last 3 years. nobody reported a problem so far.

I agree with Sachin. AMP CAMP and Gainclone are easiest to build (Low parts count) There are couple of mods to increase power of ampcamp marginally and decoupling caps value in peter daniels gainclone. Which can easily be done on later stage or can be reverted if you don't like the SQ.
Regards

OP, please do not try and open any social service threads like "which is the the best amp for DIY" etc. Ask help for the issue you have on hand and it will be answered.

There are too may threads on this forum on Amps and you can do little bit of search and find answers.

- Moderation

Dear moderator,
I know a lot of threads and ideas are there. Too much of technical details for a diyer. Thats why I wanted to have a general outlook and expert opinions . I dont know what social service i have initiated in this.
I thought this would be a one stop thread for comparing and contrasting all amp designs available.Moreover,there is nothing like hearing from veterans about their diy for eg. 1969 JLH design.

Last edited:
building circuit is 30% work
casing it with diy case it 70%
i suppose helder stopped selling TRIPATH modules ..it is one very simple "just join wires" type of kit

I have a tripath amp with the main chip dead ..anyone want to revive buying the tripath IC can pM me

Last edited:
Back