The best feed to watch sports channels

sportsbinger

Hello Guys.

I am a sports buff and watch sports extensively Premier League,Champions League and Formula 1.
I am presently watching it on my Samsung 43NU7470, DTH Sun Direct HD, TV Channels Star Sports Select HD and Sony TEN HD.
The VQ and AQ are so far alright but I wanted to test other better options if any, the present options I have are:

1) Buy Airtel DTH as it has one of the best VQ and AQ feeds.
2) Connect to a broadband and install the apps on my TV and watch live sports through Hotstar and Sony LIV app.
3) Buy a streaming box like ACT 4k Box (no HDR support), MI box, Airtel XStream Box (coming soon) or any other streaming devices and watch Live TV on it.
4) Go for a local cable connection.

Which options will have great video content which justifies the TV on which I am watching, I am not using any sound systems at the moment and unlikely to upgrade in the near future.

Can the forum members share their thoughts and experience regarding the best Live Video content delivery to their Television sets.

I am new to this forum apologies if I am asking an naive query.

Airtel will beat all the others since it is DTH. Broadband based sports watching has a long way to go before it catches up with DTH. Even cable is pretty good. Broadband is the only flawed transmission. The frame rates are poor (30fps) compared to what is required (60fps).

We disconnected from TataSky about 9 months ago. Everything is app/streaming.
For football:
- EPL is on HotStar (not bad at all)
- European leagues are on SonyLIV (the quality is not good; watchable but not enjoyable)

All other entertainment, please see my signature.
Cheers,
Raghu

I have both. Streaming is the future, but not the present. Have tried everything. But big quality diff between DTH and streaming for Hotstar, and for that matter ANY live sports on any app, either cast, or app on TV, or viewed on a device itself. But excellent quality for watching netflix and other streaming of movies etc. Problem only with live sports.

Depends on the bandwidth and apps sometimes I can see that the youtube streaming (geo locked) are also a good option. Further all streams are on HD so it is quite watchable.

No. It doesn't depend on bandwidth. It depends on transmission frame rate. And HD means stills will be very good, which they are, but the problem comes during movement. It will get solved in time, but as of now, a sports buff cannot live on streaming alone. I just checked - on 27 mbps of bandwidth, i get stuttered movement on Hotstar, but when watching stills like a scorecard it is tack sharp. The stuttered movement I am referring to should not be confused with buffering. There is NO buffering. Just that the movement is very subtly jerky, as if there are too few frames per second, which is exactly what the problem is.

I understand what you mean by the frame rate and as far as I know in India the frame rate used by the DTH/TV broadcast industry is around 30fps but there at times I find the action to be smoother. I agree that the increase in fps will be huge for live sports still none of the services have the same. Hoping we get a higher frame rate for the live sporting events in India soon.

Last edited:
The DTH/Cable is still the best platform to view live sports. Streaming can never match that quality due to high transmission delay (typically 90s) and low frame rate (can't consistently deliver 60 frames). So, you are kinda stuck with Cable/DTH for live sports events.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back