The concept of recreating unamplified natural music

humblebee

So, on the one hand we have the tube lovers who like the sonic characters of their favourite tube amps. Then some with likings for class A sound. Then some love horn-loaded tweeters. This goes on as a personal choice. Much respect for that and I have my little biases for Class AB amp & then some more.

But then today I thought about the concept of recreating sound as if the artists were playing unamplified music in a room with you. No mics or amps etc and their associated sonic characters.

Has this been tried ?

It might possibly have been but as they say, every sunrise is the first for someone !

... as if the artists were playing unamplified music in a room with you. No mics or amps etc and their associated sonic characters.

Has this been tried ?

I find it difficult to imagine this is possible for all genre of music.

The best live performance I have heard is vocal + tabla + acoustic guitar + harmonium. And I do not know about any system that can replicate this experience 100%. My 2c.

The best live performance I have heard is vocal + tabla + acoustic guitar + harmonium. And I do not know about any system that can replicate this experience 100%. My 2c.

While I have hearda lot of people say this, but is it truly unamplified sound. Unless you heard a live performance in a small room, any performance in a concert hall would need a mic to convert, then an amp and then speakers.

Why does the sound in a live concert have to be better than in a studio which is a controlled environment?

...And I do not know about any system that can replicate this experience 100%. My 2c.
+1

an a un-amplified live music session contains so much of Harmonic richness and spatial cues which may not even be captured in a recording.- and then there are so many losses from the recording to the source media- and then losses from media to our ear

In the end recorded music is "Like Live" and never "Live" and all the money is spent by audiophiles to get there

Lot of people have tried it and Amar bose is one of them and look where that got him ;)- it made him very rich and admired by 99% of people who listen to music and hated by 1 % who represent audiophiles

I imagined a solution but hit the very same block.

There will be many reasons why it cannot be done and even if attempted, what compromises it will include.

But then version 1 is just about getting it up on its feet. Even with imagineering.

Any ideas of how it can be attempted are welcome.
And as is advised for an ideas-session, when the ideas start to flow, then is not the time to evaluate them but just to list them...

But then today I thought about the concept of recreating sound as if the artists were playing unamplified music in a room with you. No mics or amps etc and their associated sonic characters.

Has this been tried ?

Yes. This is the Rethm sound with the Saadhanas.
If you like to hear a sound that approaches the un-amplified approach then you will find the Rethm sound to your liking.

You have to be careful though as this sound needs a seasoned ear to appreciate what is going on.

Unamplified, amplified etc..is completely dependent upon the music and recording techniques..High fidelity sound is about re-creating what is in the recording with the least amount of artifacts as possible irrespective of what is in the recording.

Having said that, there are music systems that favor certain type of music. For e.g. if you music is primarily acoustic (unamplified) in nature, then it is wise to assemble a system that gives a lot of importance to midrange clarity and purity and micro dynamics. Tubes and single driver speakers can do this well. There are other approaches as well which come with their own advantages.

Letting my imagination run wild here. How about a digitised room itself with panels (equivalent of LED panels, but acoustic) on all the six surfaces - with specific auxels (my term for an audio equivalent of pixel) that get activated through electric signal on the geometric array in a way that gives you a feel of live unamplified music being played. Am I conveying my imagination?

If no mics,no system then yes.I have been listening it in my native place.It can be bhajan or Aarati in Ganesh festival.Singing without mic is very natural.Playing Tabala, Mrudangam,Harmonium ,Taal.Like FM said, mic don't pickup all the harmonies.Hearing Mrudangam, Harmonium live is very rich experience which can be just felt and not imagined.

I still belong to the school of thought that 2 speakers are enough to give you reality. As long as the recording has all the cues ( most important) and the System+Room are good enough as individual components and as a system.

A well designed amp can make it as close to unamplified ( although never really there)

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back