The Death Of DVDS For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venkat, Prakash,

Thanks for the writing.

I agree with your writing, even now i am able to sense that when i play the dvd player, minus prologic it is bound to sound better, but i do not see myself switching loyalties from wdtv to dvd player for various reasons as written in earlier posts.

One thing seems sure how much ever the dvd may sound better it can not beat high definition rips 720/1080p movies in terms of pq & sq, this is a open confirmation from Moserw, Reju, and by a few others.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Venkat, Prakash,

One thing seems sure how much ever the dvd may sound better it can not beat high definition rips 720/1080p movies in terms of pq & sq, this is a open confirmation from Moserw, Reju, and by a few others.

Vinay.

Vinay, We have a strong doubt since the dvd player was set to prologic you original dvd's sounded weak. Just do a simple experiment of playing the dvd palyer with youur favourite dvd in DTS. Then switch over to wdtv to see if soundquality differes by 20% as you said earlier.

Your outcome of the experiment will help lot of forum members here.. :) and in this way you can contribute back to the forum too.

Thanks,
Prakash.

I have seen 8 high definition ripped movies and have enjoyed the pq and sq, after seeing them i have ranked them with stars with the view date, all this i can see on screen when i play the wdtv, the one's with the minimum stars, i will delete them sooner then later, and the movies for which i have given higher rating, i can repeat them after 6 months or so. I think this is a organized way to watch movies, this facility a DVD player can not offer.

I think other forum members also should consider to move out in a phased manner from the sinking DVD world to high definition rips.

Vinay.

I have seen 8 high definition ripped movies and have enjoyed the pq and sq, after seeing them i have ranked them with stars with the view date, all this i can see on screen when i play the wdtv, the one's with the minimum stars, i will delete them sooner then later, and the movies for which i have given higher rating, i can repeat them after 6 months or so. I think this is a organized way to watch movies, this facility a DVD player can not offer.

I think other forum members also should consider to move out in a phased manner from the sinking DVD world to high definition rips.

Vinay.

Can you not simply store the DVDs back in the order you want to watch? Why is this issue so complex?

Can you not simply store the DVDs back in the order you want to watch? Why is this issue so complex?

I use a small note that I insert on the backside of the front cover of the DVD jacket. This has details about quality of the DVD, how the film was (in my opinion) and so on.

Cheers

I use a small note that I insert on the backside of the front cover of the DVD jacket. This has details about quality of the DVD, how the film was (in my opinion) and so on.

Cheers

, any good "scenes" and so on ;)

I use a WD TV HD, as well as a Panasonic Blu-ray player. The Blu-ray player wins hands down on audio and video, even with a DVD as it has a better upscaler. Of course, with a Blu-ray disk playing there is no competition. The WD TV HD is nice, but purely a bedroom device for me.

Vinay, you have a nice HT room. I would recommend that you invest in a receiver that handles HDMI, and a projector that can do 1080P. It would be worth it. You would also get HD audio in bargain.

Thanks,
Sharad

Indeed the way you and venkat have suggested are also good.

During the DVD days, i had maintained a excel sheet to maintain assorted information of the movies which i am holding, but now i am doing the same feeding via external hard disk, and can see these details live through my WDTV, on my 82 inches screen, i feel this is any day a much better way.

Vinay.

Sharad, thanks for the writing.

Indeed what you say is correct, it is just that both are meant for different purpose, and the cost difference is no comparison, so you will get what you pay for. It is like one may not compare Amitabh bachan with Sharuk khan.

About WDTV being a bedroom device for you, well i think you will be a rare case, as i think most of them will use it in their prime viewing area like a living room. Similarly there will be a rare case who will use a blue ray player in a bedroom, while he would use a much expensive one in his prime view area. This rare case is at times good, like in your case, you have really upgraded yourself very well, hopefully i will be also like you in the coming year or two.

I appreciate that you like my mini theatre, i have bought the av receiver and projector just a little over 2 years ago, i would like to use the same for another 3 years, then i will upgrade, as these gadgets are quite expensive, and i think it will not be a good idea to change so quickly.

At this point of time i am enjoying the world of high definition movies with my gadgets, DVDs for me are low comparison to hd movies.

I appreciate the suggestion which you gave, as and when i am out in the market to replace these gadgets, i will take your and forum members help as to which one should i go for.

Thank you very much.

Vinay.

I use a WD TV HD, as well as a Panasonic Blu-ray player. The Blu-ray player wins hands down on audio and video, even with a DVD as it has a better upscaler. Of course, with a Blu-ray disk playing there is no competition. The WD TV HD is nice, but purely a bedroom device for me.

Vinay, you have a nice HT room. I would recommend that you invest in a receiver that handles HDMI, and a projector that can do 1080P. It would be worth it. You would also get HD audio in bargain.

Thanks,
Sharad

Last edited:
Vinay, anyone who looks at your "mini theater" will feel that you will not settle for anything but the top of products/ technology.

I appreciate that you like my mini theatre, i have bought the av receiver and projector just a little over 2 years ago, i would like to use the same for another 3 years, then i will upgrade, as these gadgets are quite expensive, and i think it will not be a good idea to change so quickly.
Vinay.

I agree Vinay.
That is why I was surprised when you choose Denon 3805 (released in 2004) for your great theater, when 3808 was already out. Receivers are expensive and are not worth much if you want to sell them. You could keep this receiver but connect the video sources directly to the projector. Are you switching the video sources (DVD/WD TVHD) through the projector?

Make sure whenever you buy a Blu-ray player, buy one with a built in decoder for HD audio. That way you would not need to replace the receiver too soon.

thanks,
Sharad

Vinay, just for a lark, re-connect your DVD Player, try a good DVD and see how it sounds now.

Cheers

Well setting Vinays' AVR needs skill, I tried playing CDs on his DVDp & it took half hr to get sound from AVR.:indifferent14:

I agree a I was there too and me and sprivious was going through thr manual and settings like mad ( and I think it took more than hour :sad::sad::sad:)

Denon's sound is phenomenol but settings,manual and gui is most complicated and confusing I encountered ( I have stted a number of Ht's in the past)

I agree, and that's why the Audyssey MultXT technology is a killer feature in their latest AVRs. The auto setup works great, and then you can tweak it too.

Thanks,
Sharad

I have decided to gift my over 200 original DVDs to the members who have already contributed more then 15 times on the thread "The Movies I Liked".

Vinay.

I have decided to gift my over 200 original DVDs to the members who have already contributed more then 15 times on the thread "The Movies I Liked".

Vinay.

So Vinay ,that states clearly I will not get anyDVD from you as I didnt participate in that Thread.:sad:

So Vinay ,that states clearly I will not get anyDVD from you as I didnt participate in that Thread.:sad:

Infact, you and Reju should have an option to choose which ever you both like since you both and i suppose also Hemant (not sure) had visited Vinay personally and helped him setup his WD media player
Ofcourse, all depends on Vinay as he owns the dvds :)

Infact, you and Reju should have an option to choose which ever you both like since you both and i suppose also Hemant (not sure) had visited Vinay personally and helped him setup his WD media player
Ofcourse, all depends on Vinay as he owns the dvds :)

Thanks,Yes HemantWaghe too was there.He shared HD mov with me.

Indeed there will be no DVD for you, as you did not participate in the thread "The Movies I Liked", but you, can always come at my place and copy the 720p movies which i keep downloading 24 x 7.

Vinay.

Would it break any rules if we request members to disclose good sources to download HD movies? I would be very much interested in knowing a few sites or having invites of some good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back