The differences between FLAC and MP3, Lossless vs Lossy

I can tell this for sure once i played original CD in my PC then ripped the same into 320 MP3 heard it on the same PC. MP3 sounded "shallow" while CD was much "full". Never compared CD with FLAC files. Will do someday.

I have done many A-B comparisons some 2 years back and came to conclusion that Flac is better than MP3 320 in all respects. My first preference is Flac and if it is not available then I go for 320. I have also noticed a subtle difference in 16bit and 24bit Flac files but that varies from recording to recording. Now I have come over this highly nuanced listening approach and keep my music in 16bit flac files.

I may be having a detailed comparative review of all formats (very technical stuff) which appeared in Stereophile some years ago. Will post those findings if I find that article.

I can tell this for sure once i played original CD in my PC then ripped the same into 320 MP3 heard it on the same PC. MP3 sounded "shallow" while CD was much "full". Never compared CD with FLAC files. Will do someday.
There is a further problem that makes assessment of compressed audio more difficult than that: all encoders are not the same. I haven't tried this, but I wonder if there is even any guarantee that two MP3 files made with the same settings from the same WAV or CD will necessarily be identical? As I say, I haven't tried, and the theory would be way beyond me. Any cryptographers on the forum? :eek:hyeah:

FLAC, on the other hand, should always be the same.

FLAC is like ZIP: you get out what you put in.

MP3 (etc) is like JPG: you don't.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back