The essence of photography

pupupuchi28

You were curious about what lenses I have considered. Frankly I have considered dozens of them but I would be happy to handpick one wide angle zoom, one normal prime, one medium telephoto prime, one long telephoto zoom and one macro lens. Choosing a macro lens:

The 105mm 2.8D mentioned in my shopping list is a macro lens. The full name for the same is AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D. I was earlier planning to buy the AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D as a general purpose lens. I borrowed one from someone and found that the 90mm focal length on my cropped sensor camera was good for head shots but not so good for anything else. Even for head shots the 60mm was not a keeper because it was far too revealing. Every blemish, pimple, dark spot or ugly, spiky, spouting hair was mercilessly revealed. The good folks who had agreed to pose patiently for me were not very happy with the results. Especially the ladies! For close ups of tiny insects the focal length was a little short as the little ones would become aware that a nosy human being was peeping and they would scurry away in a huff. Therefore I opted for the 50mm and 85mm primes as my general purpose and portrait lenses. The Micro-Nikkor's are super sharp lenses for close up shots of insects, flowers and products but perhaps not so great for shooting at infinity or clicking portraits.

I feel the 105mm focal length (translated into 157mm on my D90) would be just right for macro photography. Nikon has a 200mm macro which would be great for shooting snakes from a reasonably safe distance. But since I do not have the courage or the inclination to shoot living organism which could retaliate violently, I have not considered the 200mm! The new G series 105mm Micro Nikkor incorporates Nano coating, ED glass, VR and weather sealing but I would rather buy the D series 105 Micro Nikkor because it is cheaper, sharper and has a far more desirable retro look and feel.

Micro-Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D - Review / Lab Test Report

Last edited:
The 105mm 2.8D mentioned in my shopping list is a macro lens. ..........................Every blemish, pimple, dark spot or ugly, spiky, spouting hair was mercilessly revealed. The good folks who had agreed to pose patiently for me were not very happy with the results. Especially the ladies!

My bad! I overlooked the 105mm lens.
Thats very well put regarding very sharp lens. I guess for potraits a bit softer lens work good. Everyone does not have skin like Kareena nor would you want to push the pic into a processor.

Ajay,
If you want to go cheap, your any current lens can be a macro lens if you put an extension tube in between dSLR body and any of your lens. Since macro photography does involve intense manual focussing, you will not loose much by missing AF. But your lenses should have aperture ring in them to control aperture. Or else the extension tube should have intelligent electric connections to pass informations between lens and body.

Macro photography means at least 1:2 ratio of the lens, which means your camera sensor's horizontal and vertical dimensions should cover twice of it's lengths on the subject. Do you really want to shoot just the eyes and some more of a snake? 1:1 lens will cover 1:1 dimension of the size of a sensor. You can not catch a full blown 1.5 inch dia rose in your APSC sensor completely in 1:1 macro lens.
Micro photography ASFAIK is about shooting cells or such small items.
Please remeber a camera is just a tool and a photographer gets habituated with your tool within no time. So, it is you who actually is the creator. And your photographs should have sufficient weight of the content in composition, topic, subject and expression. Technical detail comes next.
Please concentrate more on content.

Last edited:
Sumanta

I agree that choice of subject and composition is of paramount importance and that technique and technology should (perhaps) come a little lower down the scale. As far as the tool and technology is concerned, I opted for the D90, which I feel is the bare minimum Nikon DSLR which has the potential for shooting great pics. I deliberately did not buy a D7000/D300S/D700/D800 because I felt that I should only upgrade after I had upgraded my photography skills to the point where I felt that I had earned the camera upgrade. Money can buy us a D800+24-70mm+70-200mm but money can't make us a better photographer. For the same reason I have opted for only prime lenses. They are not only sharper and cheaper but they are also more demanding and make you work harder than a zoom lens.

Until now I have not focused too much on composition because I first wanted to:

master each and every manual and menu control provided on the D90 until using all of them became second nature.

understand the impact of aperture setting, shutter speeds, focal lengths and depth of field.

individually study and use ISO, white balance, exposure compensation. metering and focus modes in order to understand their impact on a photograph.

understand the play of natural light on a subject. (at the moment zero interest in 'artificial light' photography).

decide the degree of shadows and highlights to incorporate in a photograph.

understand grid lines, perspective, point of view and where exactly to place the subject in a photograph.

Most of the photos I have shot till now were taken with one or more of these tasks in mind. Hopefully after a little more practice I will be able to concentrate more on composition leaving the rest of the jazz to 'second nature' :)

Money can buy us a D800+24-70mm+70-200mm but money can't make us a better photographer.
+++1 .

understand the impact of aperture setting, shutter speeds, focal lengths and depth of field.
These are the basics and imho, most important . Once you master these , you move to the next level .

individually study and use ISO, white balance, exposure compensation. metering and focus modes in order to understand their impact on a photograph.
Metering, expo comp and WB play an imp role...ISO and focus modes are more tech and not much to experiment ..

understand the play of natural light on a subject. (at the moment zero interest in 'artificial light' photography).
decide the degree of shadows and highlights to incorporate in a photograph.
Part of composition / creativity ...It is said that the old masters of B&W movies were absolute geniuses when it came to these aspects...Guru dutt for instance ..

So wish u good luck and lets some good and bad photos along the way ...

+1

@ Bibin3210: "Canon 24-105 F4L IS USM".....I'm jealous of you :)

@pupupuchi: Thank you for the comment. This is my first L-Series lens, an awesome all-rounder and it is really a killer lens. Wide open it produce nice bokeh on my 5DM2 and also produce pin sharp images.

The only problem i found with L -Series lens is that, once you use that we will never use other lenses. Which is directly proportional to more !@#$%^&*(*&^ from our better half :sad:.

As far as the tool and technology is concerned, I opted for the D90, which I feel is the bare minimum Nikon DSLR which has the potential for shooting great pics
Ajay,
The lowest specification of today's dSLR is better than Pro dSLR 5 years back in terms of basic functions of camera body and sensor capability to capture light and detail (specifically in low light). I think even the lowest spec'd dSLR is enough for big print and of acceptable quality to hang at home if not in the exhibition (provided you get a better printer and technician).
Go inside you to know what you want to say through your photographs.
You should capture and display what you felt while seeing or pre-visualizing the scene.
Today's zooms are quite capable too, and primes are not that cheap unless you buy lenses like me which are 30 to 40 years old, russian lenses of German design copy.
You can call them as poorman's Leica or Carl Zeiss.

This is shot with a point and shoot camer from Canon having sensor less than a hand finger nail.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rgp1fbwgqrc/T1M4SipkfqI/AAAAAAAAAFI/G0p9tdqcewQ/s1600/t6.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZP1c-SccjUs/T1M4EOxR-lI/AAAAAAAAAEk/GE0YHqmrNNw/s1600/t2.JPG

This is shot with Sony NEX and a 40 year old lens...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hf8Ph71SL3I/Ty6WvsaD2kI/AAAAAAAAACE/fdOy6WYDojI/s1600/_DSC2758.JPG

Like you I do like to shoot in available light. Infact light is the main subject for photography (for me) most of the time.
Happy light.

"I believe the size of the sensor is more important than the mega pixels crammed on it. D90, D7000, D300S, D3200 have almost similar sized sensors. The 24 mega pixel's of D3200 would be crammed closer together on the sensor than the 12 megapixel's of the D90........, but I feel pixels are not very important beyond a point . They are a marketing ploy adopted by manufacturers to enthrall consumers who underestimate the importance of other specs. Some of the really important specs are not even mentioned on the brochures!"

In our HFV language, a 21" LCD FHD (29 mpixel on crop sensor) input with HD content (bright subjects / good light) will outperform 21" LCD FHD (29mpixel on crop sensor) with SD content (poor lit subjects)
&
a 21" LCD FHD (12 mpixel on crop sensor) input with HD content (bright subjects / good light) will outperform (possibly) 21" LCD FHD (29mpixel on crop sensor) with SD content (poor lit subjects)

This is a very important point pupupuchi has mentioned. MEGAPIXEL is an attribute for marketing. What we should really look for is the PIXEL DENSITY (PD).

To understand the difference, take some test shots with a crop body and a full frame and compare the images side by side.

Thanks,
Bibin

sumanta

Copy pasting from your blog:

"This is my way of saying my family that I love them. As I do not know much other ways. I can write, I can shoot..those words and photos say what I want to say to you all, to the world.
Through time..the lens has survived to be a part of me. I do not think, I will let it go. I have a feeling for machines, I like them to be designed to say things and give outout that say things you want to say. I love my machines...I feel they love me too! It is weird..but that's how I am.
There will be oneday when I will not be riding or walking on this planet..but photographs taken by me will be there for some more time..with them, I will be with you all..with the world."

Great thoughts and great pics!
Where exactly is Jambughoda forest? Seems like a beautiful place.

Canon a510 >lot of web search(research) > Canon 350d > some lens> lot of reading > some accessories > Canon 1000d> some more lens , flash , triggers, umbrellas > and now Canon a1200 ( just 4000 rupees) :). Took four years to realize that DSLRs are for pros :)

some of my pics
Facebook
Flickr: Madhu_kannan's Photostream

Kannan

Since your Flick stream does not reveal the exif data I am curious to about the camera and lenses you are using. Would you care to share more info about your tools and technique?

For instance how did you shoot this pic? (Please reply only if you want to :))

Zoomaana | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I would appreciate if other shooters could also pick out their favorite pic and write about how they conceived and shot it.

1st pic taken using Nokia X6 (5MP) and the 2nd one is using HTC Sensation (8MP) and i like these 2 pics..

Planning to get a DSLR for myself.. Will keep reading this thread.. lot of things to learn about photography.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
6162732224_9e8ef04a03_b.jpg

Last edited:
@ Ajay
Thats a simple old technique, focus on subject , select a slow shutter speed (not ultra slow) click the shutter button and zoom the lens simultaneously. here's the exif
Camera Canon EOS 1000D
Exposure 0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture f/5.0
Focal Length 18 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV

@Titus
Nice shot of the jeep , is it yours ? if yes i wish to come for a drive .

Last edited:
Madhu, Thanks. Nah, the mm540 is not mine, it belongs to a good friend of mine. I travel on two wheels exclusively as of now :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back