The general lounge is cool!

ajay124

Since their renaming,renovation and relaunch,the A/V and General Lounges have become interesting places to drop in for a chat and a beer:)
Find myself spending more time here,than in the main lounge 'upstairs' (where serious (audiophile) affairs of the state,with international ramifications,are being thrashed out)
Since this is the general lounge,there seems to be no dress code here.The moderators are more relaxed (for the moment?for ever?).Guests are allowed to let their hair down and ramble.And digress.And m-e-a-n-d-e-r as we have been doing on on the light beer thread.To philosophize and pontificate.To make virtual friends:)
Humour is always in short supply?Can we have more of it please:)

Last edited:
Agree. Its actually a cool place for a little break. Ofcourse these days one can find forums for just about anything, but I do not want to end up in 15 forums for 15 interests! So this little lounge is a great 'weekend getaway of sorts'

Cheers mate!

Couldn't agree more. I usually spend my time up in the Television section and these days, what with festive offers and everything, everyone seems to be going in for a new HDTV. Thus the inevitable questions: Which is better- LCD or Plasma? Should I go in for Samsung/LG/Sony/Panasonic? What is input lag? What is burn-in?
I am sick and tired of reading posts by every prospective TV buyer, who comes and creates new threads in which the same old questions are asked, without reading previous posts. Here is where I am going to hang out till the purchasing frenzy is over. Far from the madding crowd!!!

Disclaimer:

The following rantings are for mature audiences and mature audiences only. :p

Long rant, so members with limited attention span can also skip. :)

And yes, I have no understanding of music, whatsoever. :)

Now that disclaimers are out of the way, let me get down to my rant.

I found it quite interesting that Ajay posted this wonderful song. 'Why because' (a common translation from kannada to English and here I am borrowing from some of my good friends) this is something that I would have posted. I expect only exotics from Ajay. :D

I love songs like this. But today, I asked myself, why ?

Interestingly, I have no simple answer. Most times to simple questions, there never are. So, I would love it if members contributed to enable me to understand why I like this song. Yes, this time around, there are no pretty lasses around :p

My first thoughts. Ray Charles singing this, wonderful as it is, is very close to Soul. Now this makes me quite circumspect as Soul/classical music has strong influences of Christianity and in spite of being born a Christian, I have somewhere lost my way, or I would rather say, I have found my way. Looking at all multitudes of ways that everybody uses religion to further their own selfish ends and the way it is used to divide rather than unite, has made me detest the very concept of religion and to some extent doubt the very existence of a supreme being, unless of course one is worshiping the likes of Jim Morrison. :D

Now, coming to the one and only Willy Nelson.

Ya, (all the while being under the illusion that I am going to be 18 till I die) what's with the Nasal voice and the talking more than the singing (Johnny Cash anyone) and almost hurried sentences making simple minds like mine think that Willie has a plane to catch ? Reminds me of crackling witches and speakers associated with such :D

I love Willy Nelson, not in spite of it but because of it. Funny are the ways of the ill informed lovers of music.

Now am looking for enlightenment. Not of the religious kind but of the musical kind. Please do indulge an old man who is lost and wants to find the stairway to heaven.

Regards,

Ssf to some, Sunil to others. :)

Last edited:
Nice rant,Sunil!:)
Just the kind of post I enjoy reading.One which jumps through multiple ideas and references.One which has no obvious destination in mind,but pauses frequently to make interesting observations.
"I expect only exotic posts from Ajay."
I try not to be too exotic,because if I threw caution to the wind,and posted with abandon,some good souls would start wondering,what's up with this guy?:)
There is only one reason that I like 7 Spanish Angels.Ray Charles.Don't much care for the nasal twanging country folks.Ray could sing the alphabets and I would still like it.In fact he did sing the alphabets.
YouTube - Sesame Street: Ray Charles Sings The Alphabet
I was actually looking to post my favourite Ray songs,but could not find the version's I wanted of Georgia On My mind,Rainy Night In Georgia,Hit The Road Jack,Can't Stop Loving You,Unchain My Heart,Take These Chains From My Heart.
They're all there on his recently released Genius anthology.
Rhythm House Genius-The Ultimate Collection
Ray's music is the very essence of soul.I would say,he invented that genre.The transition which western popular music made from the gospel and blues being sung in the 20's/30's by the blacks,to everything which happened
later,Soul/R'nR/Rock/R&B/Motown/Funk/Disco/Rap makes for a good read.
"Looking at all multitudes of ways that everybody uses religion to further their own selfish ends and the way it is used to divide rather than unite, has made me detest the very concept of religion and to some extent doubt the very existence of a supreme being"
I have never been religious,in the mass sense of following one religion.But I have wondered about the existence of God,without reaching any conclusion.Don't think I ever will.In His absence,I have more 'worldly' God's to give me solace and happiness.Human God's.God's who provide a glimpse of paradise,here and now....Socrates(as he appears in Plato's Dialogues),Dostoevesky,Kafka,Borges,Neruda,Pessoa,Baudelaire,Rimbaud,Ibsen,Bach,Beethoven,Mozart,Tarkovsky,Bergman,Brueghel,Rembrandt,Goya,Picasso.A whole pantheon of God's.So in that sense I am deeply religious.:)

Hi,

I was actually looking to post my favourite Ray songs,but could not find the version's I wanted of Georgia On My mind,Rainy Night In Georgia,Hit The Road Jack,Can't Stop Loving You,Unchain My Heart,Take These Chains From My Heart.

@Ajay, try to get this box set .

Ray's interpretation of these classic country songs is unique.

His version of "Take me home Country Roads" on this album is a must hear,for folks who have only heard John Denver's version.

From a comment on Amazon about Ray Charles
If you think country music is hokey--maybe sometimes it is--it isn't so when the Genius does it. Trust me.

Amazon.com: Ray Charles: The Complete Country & Western Recordings 1959-1986: Ray Charles: Music: Reviews, Prices & more

I got this box set back in 1998 for $50,prices have now tripled.:mad:

Rajiv

Last edited:
I try not to be too exotic,because if I threw caution to the wind,and posted with abandon,some good souls would start wondering,what's up with this guy?

haha, no, I don't think the good folks at HiFiVision would mind at all. :)

Thanks again for the Rhythm House link to Ray Charles. This time however, I won't be hogging the CD's though. I have decided to build a collection only after putting up a semi-decent system in place.

Will be enjoying the songs put up by Rajiv and yourself sometime in the evening as this morning I am in one of my rare moods to 'take a walk'

Regards,

Sunil

@Rajiv
That's two album's I envy you now.Must say,you started buying good stuff,real early.I've managed to get Farewell and Fantasies:) but with Ray Charles,Nina Simone,Ella Fitzgerald,there is a lot of stuff I want,but don't have.I've checked out the specific CD's I want from CD Universe and other sources.I am waiting for these CD's to crop up (to avoid duplication of tracks/get good recordings) but not at some of those Amazon prices.Reaonably priced music does keep cropping up on Rhythm House.
Rainy Night in Georgia was written by Tony Joe White and famously covered by Brook Benton,but the only,the only version I like is Ray Charles,absolutely trip out on it,especially the drunken drawl at the end:)
YouTube - Tony Joe White - Rainy Night in Georgia
YouTube - Rainy Night in Georgia -- Brook Benton
Used to love Rod Stewart as a teenager.In recent times he too has been singing his way through the Great American Songbook.With average results:)
YouTube - Rod Stewart (NEW ALBUM: Soulbook) - Rainy night in Georgia
Would have liked to have the Ray Charles version here as a comparison,but unfortunately most of the good Ray (studio recordings) are missing on You Tube.

Used to love Rod Stewart as a teenager.In recent times he too has been singing his way through the Great American Songbook.With average results

@Ajay, memories from the past.

As a teenager during the Disco boom this was in constant rotation along with Gloria Gaynors "I will survive"

YouTube - Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?

Rod Stewart's first American Song Book was OK .

Rajiv

Do you Think I'm Sexy was great.Also Maggie May,Hot Legs,I Was Only Joking,Tonight's The Night,First Cut Is The Deepest,Killing Of George,Sailing,Passion,Young Turks,Some Guys,Baby Jane,Downbound Train,In A Broken Dream....
I remember jumping,dancing and belting out Young Turks after a couple of Sea Pirate's or Blue Riband's!
YouTube - Rod Stewart-Young turks

Last edited:
Rod Stewart, ah, I have made a fool of myself trying to sing his songs on more than a couple of spirited occasions. Sometimes, what one listens to during ones teens does tend to stick. :)

Regards,

Sunil

Disclaimer:

The following rantings are for mature audiences and mature audiences only. :p

Long rant, so members with limited attention span can also skip. :)

And yes, I have no understanding of music, whatsoever. :)

Now that disclaimers are out of the way, let me get down to my rant.

I found it quite interesting that Ajay posted this wonderful song. 'Why because' (a common translation from kannada to English and here I am borrowing from some of my good friends) this is something that I would have posted. I expect only exotics from Ajay. :D

I love songs like this. But today, I asked myself, why ?

Interestingly, I have no simple answer. Most times to simple questions, there never are. So, I would love it if members contributed to enable me to understand why I like this song. Yes, this time around, there are no pretty lasses around :p

My first thoughts. Ray Charles singing this, wonderful as it is, is very close to Soul. Now this makes me quite circumspect as Soul/classical music has strong influences of Christianity and in spite of being born a Christian, I have somewhere lost my way, or I would rather say, I have found my way. Looking at all multitudes of ways that everybody uses religion to further their own selfish ends and the way it is used to divide rather than unite, has made me detest the very concept of religion and to some extent doubt the very existence of a supreme being, unless of course one is worshiping the likes of Jim Morrison. :D

Now, coming to the one and only Willy Nelson.

Ya, (all the while being under the illusion that I am going to be 18 till I die) what's with the Nasal voice and the talking more than the singing (Johnny Cash anyone) and almost hurried sentences making simple minds like mine think that Willie has a plane to catch ? Reminds me of crackling witches and speakers associated with such :D

I love Willy Nelson, not in spite of it but because of it. Funny are the ways of the ill informed lovers of music.

Now am looking for enlightenment. Not of the religious kind but of the musical kind. Please do indulge an old man who is lost and wants to find the stairway to heaven.

Regards,

Ssf to some, Sunil to others. :)

Argumentum Ornithologicum :: J. L. Borges

I close my eyes and see a flock of birds. The vision lasts a second or perhaps less; I dont know how many birds I saw. Were they a definite or an indefinite number? This problem involves the question of the existence of God. If God exists, the number is definite, because how many birds I saw is known to God. If God does not exist, the number is indefinite, because nobody was able to take count. In this case, I saw fewer than ten birds (lets say) and more than one; but I did not see nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, or two birds. I saw a number between ten and one, but not nine, eight, seven, six, five, etc. That number, as a whole number, is inconceivable; ergo, God exists.

J. L. Borges, a great man, from what I have had the pleasure of reading.

But his use of mathematics to prove the existence of God has not cleared my confusion with regard to God's existence but has only contributed to my existing confusion in Mathematics.

At times like this, I wish I was born with intelligence rather than with good looks. :D

Regards,

Sunil

I wouldn't mind being "born with the gift of a golden voice" in the Tower Of Song.
YouTube - Leonard Cohen - Tower of Song

"So you can stick your little pins in that voodoo doll
I'm very sorry,baby,doesn't look like me at all
I'm standing by the window where the light is strong"

Leo is g-o-o-d.They don't make em like that anymore!

Last edited:
rallynutandthedogs002.jpg

By witchesofsound at 2010-11-03

that is rallynut (forum member) listening to leonard cohen - guarded zealously by 3 hounds

Something that I always wanted to know (but was afraid to ask) was, if the 3 gentlemen/ladies with tails approved of the Witches of Ecstasy, if they sang along with them. :)

Regards,

sunil

Last edited:
Sunil, Yeah, the 3 gentlemen do break into a chorus whenever Suri plays some music on WOE for us.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back