The gimmick called "Digital Copy"

just4kix

Of late, I have been buying Blu-Ray discs.

Some discs were advertised as special editions that had something known as a "Digital Copy". I had so far never heard of this. The BDs of "The Dark Knight" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" had the movies on Blu-Ray and the package also contained a DVD marked as "Digital Copy". A pamphlet inside the cover had a Serial Code written on this.

So I wondered what this is all about. The page said:
  1. Insert disc into your computer's DVD drive. A menu will appear.
    Choose "Transfer Digital Copy".
    Choose transfer to iTunes or Windows Media Player.
    • If you choose iTunes, the iTunes window will automatically open and guide you through the transfer.
    • If you choose Windows Media Player, please follow the steps below.
  2. Enter serial number and click "Next".
  3. Choose the content that you wish to transfer and the transfer location and then click "Start Sync".
Since, I have an iPod Classic, I thought that iTunes would be the way to go. But here is the catch:
  • Since the disc was purchased in USA, you must have an US iTunes stores account.
  • My India iTunes store account does not provide this service.
  • I cannot create a US iTunes Store account without a valid US address and a valid US credit card.
So much for the great Apple Inc. and their iTunes.

Hence, I said, 'let me try WMP'. I followed the steps above and it worked like a charm.

But the charm lasted a few moments only. The Digital copy created as .wmv file that is protected by "Digital Rights Management (DRM)". I could not convert it to iPod's MP4 format. After doing a fair bit of research, I found the following:
  • A DRM protected file (audio or video) can be played on the same computer. The DRM keys are stored on the computer and cannot be copied to another computer.
  • It is illegal to break DRM.
  • If I loose my computer, or reformat it, or reinstall Windows, the DRM key will be lost forever and I will no longer be able to watch the video again, even if I save the file.
  • The Digital Copy serial number works once only. Once the content is copied, it cannot be reused to create another copy.
  • The serial number has a validity period. After the date is past, the Digital Copy is a disc that can be given to Autorickshaw drivers who can then proudly attach them to the mud flaps, etc.
The whole "Digital Copy" is thus a great advertising gimmick. It serves absolutely no purpose.

But some good news. There are shareware software such as Tunebites or Aimersoft Video Converter than can create the DRM-free copy. Note that these software donot break the DRM. As yet the DRM has not been cracked.

What the softwares do is that they allow the movie to play and on the fly they convert the video into a new copy.

Why would anyone want a digital copy if the disk can itself be played is beyond me. What is the intent? In my book, carrying a computer is anyday harder than carrying a disk? :mad:

Why would anyone want a digital copy if the disk can itself be played is beyond me. What is the intent? In my book, carrying a computer is anyday harder than carrying a disk? :mad:

It's mainly for the Portable devices

As Teky has mentioned it is meant to be used on portable deivces. I happen to have a lot of disks with Digital Copys and it works in the following manner:
You either have an account with US address on Itunes which I have, using the address of a distant Uncle in US thats it, you do not require a credit card to activate this account. Now when you insert the Digital Copy disk onto your computer then with the help of itunes I can copy it onto my Computer as well as it gives me an option of transfering it to any 4 other portable devices I have i.e an Ipod or Iphone, now here the advantage of carrying the same movie on an Ipod is that I happen to have a Touch Screen DVD System istalled into my Car which also supports full functions of an Ipod, so in this case I would not have to buy another disk to watch a movie in my car and I can play the contents through my IPOD and the display would be through the multiple screens fitted in it. I happen to have a 5.1 system installed in my car with multiple monitors as well as audio decoders so here it makes a lot of sense with these digital copies which I can enjoy while I am on the move.

As Teky has mentioned it is meant to be used on portable deivces. I happen to have a lot of disks with Digital Copys and it works in the following manner:
You either have an account with US address on Itunes which I have, using the address of a distant Uncle in US thats it, you do not require a credit card to activate this account. Now when you insert the Digital Copy disk onto your computer then with the help of itunes I can copy it onto my Computer as well as it gives me an option of transfering it to any 4 other portable devices I have i.e an Ipod or Iphone, now here the advantage of carrying the same movie on an Ipod is that I happen to have a Touch Screen DVD System istalled into my Car which also supports full functions of an Ipod, so in this case I would not have to buy another disk to watch a movie in my car and I can play the contents through my IPOD and the display would be through the multiple screens fitted in it. I happen to have a 5.1 system installed in my car with multiple monitors as well as audio decoders so here it makes a lot of sense with these digital copies which I can enjoy while I am on the move.

I vaguely rememember the two digital copies I have to be encoded with 2-channel audio. Can someone pl confirm?

By the way, I can transfer and play these digital copies on any of my portable devices and also the PS3. Don't ask me how.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Thanks just4kix for starting this thread and also teky and Ashish for clarifying what Digital Copy meant.

:
:
:
I happen to have a 5.1 system installed in my car with multiple monitors as well as audio decoders so here it makes a lot of sense with these digital copies which I can enjoy while I am on the move.
Wow Ashish, please post details about your Car Theater. Are you using the JVC Unit? I have started a new thread called "Showcase your ICE":
http://www.hifivision.com/car-audio/8240-showcase-your-ice-here.html#post108004

Digital Copies are a complete waste of time.

Lose your PMP
and say bye-bye to your digital copy.

:yahoo: :D :clapping: :eek:hyeah:

I have around 50 to 60 digital copies of various movies / and tried & installed as of now 10 to 15 in my PC and playing with Itunes and also in my Iphone too..

They are throwing in for free with BD's and they have good PQ ( Not SQ), .Are they charging anything extra.... What is the gimmick in it.... As ashish told it is very useful for him to watch in his car... It is specificaly tailored for the personnels in move..Also it is added for product value..

thanks for understanding...No bashing of thread.. Just an explanation...

...They are throwing in for free with BD's and they have good PQ ( Not SQ), .Are they charging anything extra.... What is the gimmick in it....

The gimmick is not being able to watch the digital copy on multiple computers:

If I purchased a legal copy, I should be able to watch my content anytime anywhere. OK. I can understand the content protection part.

As I said, I am unable to convert the format to iPod (as I do not have the iTunes account). Why should I be prevented from this just because I am not a US resident and do not have a US iTunes account?

But what if my PC HDD crashed or I upgraded my PC? So I will loose my WMV copy once and for all.

The price of the digital copy is embedded into the box price. There are usually two box versions - one with DC and one without. The one without DC is cheaper.

As clearly told it is only to enhance the product value and also to attract the peoples who want the movies on the move.

Itune will allow to open an account with any usa address... and it is meant to attract Region"A" Peoples.... who are generaly tend to spend more than Indians and easily attracted towards so told gimmicks...

I have an Itunes account and i am in India / Using unlocked/Jailbroken USA phone..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back