The joy of preamp, I mean a real one...

Murali,
Upgrade the stock tubes to NOS 6H30P-DR and it will take the preamp to another level. Also, use isolation under the chassis.

Good ideas.
I shall look into the possibility of NOS tubes once the current tubes reach their end. In fact I have a very good tube advisor (Brent Jessee) from whom I had bought in the past 12AX7 and 12AT7 NOS tubes (Mullard, Telefunken, Amperex) for my VTL preamp (the Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7 with Mullard 12AT7 worked out as the best combination to my ears though the Telefunken gave the largest soundstage.
I use a Solid Tech Rack of Silence, one of the best racks available, for my hifi components and the ARC preamp is on the suspended shelf resting on Solid Tech's Feet of Silence. I don't think I can find a better isolation. I also use very good cables for power (VH Audio), interconnects and speakers (Audioquest).

cheers.
murali

oh well,

i suppose it do for me to visit Dr. Jacob George and listen to his Scarlatti/ProAc Carbon Pro 8s in cochin.

happy listening:)

oh well,

i suppose it do for me to visit Dr. Jacob George and listen to his Scarlatti/ProAc Carbon Pro 8s in cochin.

happy listening:)

Oh, sorry! I am afraid 4th will be difficult as I am leaving that night.

cheers.
murali

Good ideas.
I shall look into the possibility of NOS tubes once the current tubes reach their end. In fact I have a very good tube advisor (Brent Jessee) from whom I had bought in the past 12AX7 and 12AT7 NOS tubes (Mullard, Telefunken, Amperex) for my VTL preamp (the Amperex Bugleboy 12AX7 with Mullard 12AT7 worked out as the best combination to my ears though the Telefunken gave the largest soundstage.
I use a Solid Tech Rack of Silence, one of the best racks available, for my hifi components and the ARC preamp is on the suspended shelf resting on Solid Tech's Feet of Silence. I don't think I can find a better isolation. I also use very good cables for power (VH Audio), interconnects and speakers (Audioquest).

cheers.
murali

Hi Murali,
Nice to hear u r buying tubes from Brent jessee as I have also bought a lot of tubes from him. He is a real nice guy. How are his 12AX7 teles or Mullard as I never bought these from him. Lately I am finding his tubes used one not NOS but I am not sure. I want NOS 12AX7 as I just bought a week back McIntosh 402 power amp. and McIntosh C-2300 Pre-Amp.. which uses 6 tubes all tubes are 12AX7.
Also I saw the Rack of Silence i think from Sweden in a recent High end show in Bangkok for my Macs. But i am not sure if it will be able to take 50kg load of 402 power amp. Dealer claims lower rack can take 50 Kgs.
What is the price of 4 shelf rack in India.
Will appreciate your comments
SKR

I had the bought the Solidtech rack of silence in India for about 65000. It was a 4 tier rack. If i remember correctly the bottom shelf can take a 50kg load. A very nice rack. Highly recommended.

HAHAHA
Suri I am located on 'suicide street' FYI.
MBR there are 'boats' every day, in fact many times a day so there is no missing the boat really.(Maybe small trips as apposed to a long journey:D) When it was at the level u are mentioning there were very few buyers as all & sundry were predicting 5/6K!!!
Forget the 20% at the bottom & the 20% a the top end, that still leaves 60% in which one can make a fortune. No point trying to predict tops/bottoms and most of us do Ok somewhere in between. Naturally it helps if u get the timing right.
Its never easy making money else no one would do anything but stocks!

Murali, congratulations and hope this new toy brings u years of bliss.
Rgds

Hi dinyaar,

i know - and i have read in your previous post that you got your licence in 1992 and i quote you -
"Actually i was very much in the Stock exchange when the BSE blast occurred in 92.In fact had just been granted a license to trade"

and yes, like you say ' every naya paisa is hard-earned.:)

regards

Oh, sorry! I am afraid 4th will be difficult as I am leaving that night.

cheers.
murali

Murali,

The components you have posted of your audio chain is way beyond my realm, though I have heard about Vandersteen speakers. But I do get one thing, you are loving it! Great!
Good to know that Cochin has a lot of people really into quality music.
If you werent leaving on the 4th, we could have a 3 member Cochin meet!
I am from Cochin by the way.
Titus

I had the bought the Solidtech rack of silence in India for about 65000. It was a 4 tier rack. If i remember correctly the bottom shelf can take a 50kg load. A very nice rack. Highly recommended.

Hi prem,
It is really a good rack. Price here for 4 racks is 39,000- local currency roughly about Rs.60,000. McIntosh Amplifier 402 is little more then 50 Kg if I am not wrong around 53 or 54 Kg. This rack is recommended highly by TAS also. Another problem is 4 shelves are not enough and they don't have 5 or 6 rack model. So I will need to buy 2 sets of 4 shelf rack because I have many things to keep. BTW Prem i am basically a tube man but I am really surprised to hear this combo of 402+2300. It is amazing.
Initially I had bought Mcintosh MA6600 Integrated but this model has technical problems and many owners of MA6600 have written on various forums about problems with this model. So my dealer changed it to pre+power and i did not lose any money also. I am so happy now. Integrate was also good but no comparission with Pre power.
How is your system doing
SKR

HaHa Suri, my Audio setup is totally from Dalal Street return. In last one year, my Portfolio manager did decent job and I took about 2.5L from my portfolio to purchase my audio setup. But I need another 1L. That I am planning by your method of self deprivation. I have no personal expenditure on alcohol, cigerette, panmasala. But I have one more hobby to pour money - that is aqariums - specially my marine aquarium. Only one comfort I generally ensure - my shoes/ chappals because of my diabetic feet - My range are generally Hush Puppies, Scholl, Reebok. Haircut here is comparatively cheaper = Rs. 50. I visit Saloon at least 2-3 months interval, when my wife and sons force me to visit saloon to take care of my mad like bohemian look.

hi kaushik,

it is very easy to make Rs. 10 lakhs playing in the stock market - and that too, in one day!

you start with 15 lakhs! - on friday - and subsequent monday when the bill for Wadia transport/scarlatti transport is due - that investment will become 10 lakhs!

for the uninitiated, dalal street is suicide street! but if you have gone through pain, done your homework, and are able to stay the course, one can make decent money.

on a another note, I have stopped buying clothes for myself, so as to have adequate money to fuel my passion for music - these days aysha banian = Rs. 112/- , cotton shirt = Rs. 1112, and non-iron pant = Rs. 2222.
and i suppose i could save a little more, if I stopped having haircuts (Rs. 90).
and i am paying a little more attention to my vegetable garden, so i get my greens for free.

Ah! - the pleasures of depriving oneself!:)

Great acquisition Murali. Always been a fan of audio research preamps. Your system is one I always wanted to listen to. But whenever I am in Kerala you are out :mad:

Great acquisition Murali. Always been a fan of audio research preamps. Your system is one I always wanted to listen to. But whenever I am in Kerala you are out :mad:

Yeah, we probably cross each other.
I wonder whether Audioquest ICs are being sold in India. I use a pair of Cheetah between pre and power amps and am looking for a similar or better pair between CDP and preamp, now balanced (XLR). Anyone aware???

cheers.
murali

Audioquest is being distributed by KEI based at Mumbai. Their contact details are 022-25173010 & their website is Kripaindia
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi SKR

My system is doing very well. I will be getting a new tube integrated amp from Rethm this week. Its a single ended KT88/6550 amp. Power supply unit is separate.

I am not surprised you are enjoying the Mcintosh combo. The 402 is a great power amp. I was seriously considering it for my Martin Logans but finally opted for JC1 monoblocs.

Hi SKR

My system is doing very well. I will be getting a new tube integrated amp from Rethm this week. Its a single ended KT88/6550 amp. Power supply unit is separate.

I am not surprised you are enjoying the Mcintosh combo. The 402 is a great power amp. I was seriously considering it for my Martin Logans but finally opted for JC1 monoblocs.

Good luck for your new purchase from Rethm.Do let me know how it performs.
My personal opinion is it is better to have PRE + Power rather then Integrated. I also made this mistake but luckily because of Technical problem in MA 6600 Mac integrated I was able to rethink and make a better judgement and bought Pre Power. which is much above the integrated.
I find that in an integrated the pre section is generally compromised. Also it is not a balanced design. I am not discouraging you .But since you already have good amps and pre-amps I thought buying an integrate may not bring about great improvements. I hope I am wrong this time.
The McIntosh Pre-amp. I bought is latest C 2300. It is a very good tube Line stage Plus it has very very good tube based MM phono and MC phono stages.
If today u want to buy this quality MM and MC phono stage ONLY you will need to spend atleast $ 2 to 4K
Do let me know how your new integrate performs.
i will be in delhi in January may be at that time I will organise a get together of members from Delhi and near by as i did in past with the help of Kamalji and Viren
SKR

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back