The LPS gods conspire against me, ab kya karen ?

sound_cycle

Hi,

I was trying to put together a roon rock with an LPS with components sourced while on a brief visit to the USA.

I zeroed in on the Sbooster after reading on the Roon forums and HFV. Out of stock till June

I checked with an fm here and went off to order from HDplex. Out of stock till June.

I then got in touch with Andrew at the smallgreencomputer, and placed an order after an email exchange with him. 12 hours another email, "I just check our warehouse and they won't have any in stock until the end of June. I canceled your order."

This is truly bizarre three suppliers all fresh out of LPS :(

Are there any other doors to knock on or is ordering from India with the 41.5% on CIF shafting the only way out. If you have any suggestions on LPS t try and source either here or in India, it would be very helpful.

ciao
gr

Hi

Thanks.

I know this will.be out of your budget but since you did not mention any budget, here you go ;)

https://jcat.eu/product/400w-pc-linear-power-supply/

Maybe this is an overkill for a NUC

Overkill ka pata nahi (I only need 40w) but it will definitely get me killed :)

I was hoping to get the $375 which was about budget. The HDplex or the SmallGreenComputer moved the target to ~500 but the Jcat is well beyond my reach. It crosses the sbooster from India with shipping and customs.

Are you aware of any others ? All the aliexpress ones require a very long wait :( Should have planned this better I know, but I was betting on the sbooster being out in time.

Have included the 200W wala in my list though.

ciao
gr

Hi

Thanks.

Overkill ka pata nahi (I only need 40w) but it will definitely get me killed :)

I was hoping to get the $375 which was about budget. The HDplex or the SmallGreenComputer moved the target to ~500 but the Jcat is well beyond my reach. It crosses the sbooster from India with shipping and customs.

Are you aware of any others ? All the aliexpress ones require a very long wait :( Should have planned this better I know, but I was betting on the sbooster being out in time.

Have included the 200W wala in my list though.

ciao
gr

https://uptoneaudio.com/collections/power-supplies/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

Not sure how many volts you need but this has an option to choose between 5, 7 , 9 and 12
Almost within your budget but best to confirm with them what is the expected delivery time

All NUCs run on 19 volts if I am not wrong

So the uptone audio one is if of no use for you

Hi

Thanks very much. It fits money wise. Falls short on the wattage :(

The NUC7i5BNH needs a input of 12-19 VDC. 13.2

the new UltraCap LPS-1.2 offers 5V, 7V, 9V, and 12 volt output choices but the maximum guaranteed output current is 1.1A. Which is 13.2W. Well short of the 36W I need for the 28W TDP processor + SSD + HDD

Thanks again :)

ciao
gr

Hi

the new UltraCap LPS-1.2 offers 5V, 7V, 9V, and 12 volt output choices but the maximum guaranteed output current is 1.1A. Which is 13.2W. Well short of the 36W I need for the 28W TDP processor + SSD + HDD

ciao
gr

One more for your consideration
It's in stock too

https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/teddy19-3.html

Thanks this one is umm kosher :) it fits the voltage wattage costage parts only shippage remains to be confirmed. I had to work out 5.5mm/2.5mm barrel power jack part

I have mailed them to find out if they can deliver to me in MTV, CA before I leave. (the ordering page shows only a standard shipping option for $36, no idea how long it would take), but I guess I have a day to find out.

from their page
We usually ship twice a week, on Sunday and on Wednesday. Orders received on Sunday and Wednesday before 10AM Israel time will usually be shipped on the same day (depending on stocks).

If you prefer EMS shipping please contact us before ordering. Please note that EMS shipping requires us to add a customs declaration

Thanks a huge pile for this lead :)

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Thanks this one is umm kosher :) it fits the voltage wattage and costage parts.

I have mailed them to find out if they can deliver to me in MTV, CA before I leave. (the ordering page shows only a standard shipping option for $36, no idea how long it would take)

Thanks a huge pile for this lead :)

ciao
gr

Glad that I could be of your help
Let's hope you get it delivered before your return flight, 2 days before is always safe

for the kind of money you are spending, why not have one custom built? I'm pretty sure you can put together something locally with similar specs for a fraction of the price

for the kind of money you are spending, why not have one custom built? I'm pretty sure you can put together something locally with similar specs for a fraction of the price

Beyond my knowledge and ability :(. I did search on the forum but did not find any DIY LPS posts or accounts.

You can also check acopian.com. Choose a model and try to find a used one on eBay if time permits. I am using one with my NUC.

Wow. Thanks. Which LPS are you running

ciao
gr

You can also check acopian.com. Choose a model and try to find a used one on eBay if time permits. I am using one with my NUC.

Seen some people assemble a pc with such power supplies (the low.profile ones)

They go to such limits where they power the os SSD, music storage SSD and cpu with individual power supplies all mounted in the custom cabinet

Hi

ciao
gr

After looking out various options for shifting my i7 Desktop and using my Laptops, I instead Caught Hold of HP Prodesk G3, Mini Desktop (Pretty impressed by build quality , almost similar to Schiit products) from Local reseller with i5 7th Gen, 8gb ram, Win 10 and 256 GB HDD , Now should I start looking out for LPSU as well ? although it comes with a 90W Brick similar to Laptops.

There are Sellers on Ebay USA who custom make LPSU to suit your requirements for 5 -10k INR, I got one for my SMSL M8 and it made a world of difference.
This is after adding LPSU , from SMSL M8 review HERE
"But little did I know how good the M8 actually was until I had a chance to compare it side by side to an Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC (a unit costing $3000+) at a friends house. To my own ears, I would rate the M8 DAC 95% as good as the Ayre DAC! "

This LPSU One was from Ebay USA , I Got for M8 1.5yrs ago, I Messaged the seller during that time , and he confirmed that he can get a LPSU custom made to suit your requirements, it Took 9 days to reach me in India . I don't know whether this is what you are looking for.

I don't see anything wrong with what you suggested but if budget is not an issue i will always go with a LPSU from a bigger company
Don't get me wrong , for the price the China deisgned ones are very good, infact excellent
But even like an amplifier or preamp a power supply needs careful deisgning
These bigger companies put in lot of effort to deisgn their power supplies and you also pay more for that

So depending on setup one can choose a LPSU or how critical the component is in the chain

But if budget is flexible I will always prefer something from sbooster or uptone or similar

Beyond my knowledge and ability :(. I did search on the forum but did not find any DIY LPS posts or accounts.

Wow. Thanks. Which LPS are you running

ciao
gr

Mine is A15H1500 and here the 15 indicates VDC and 1500 indicates 15 amps. I know 15 amps is not needed but since it was available at nice price and it had to go behind the sofa, I took it. I think NUC needs just 3 amps and anything between 13 and 19 VDC so you can choose accordingly.

The reason why I asked you to check the Acopian website was because mine is 110V AC input while you may need the one with 220V AC.

have you checked-
http://hifiheaven.net/shop/index.php?route=product/search&search=sbooster

I bought sbooster from them...i guess it is in stock

Remember one thing, not all Linear power supplies are linear and additionally they have AC leakage current , that defeats the purpose of having LPS.
Go for SBOOSTER , if it is available IMO

I had placed an order with sbooster directly ( and got a mail from Karin Hoks that 1) my SBI card payment was rejected* and 2) MKII version, which are expected to be on the market in 4 to 6 weeks. 3) Hifi Heaven in the USA will have both models on stock) .

I then ordered (May 18) from hifi heaven, promptly got a mail saying payment not taken, can you wait because of MkII and was in touch with them. I waited till nearly the end of my trip because he expected to have MkII in stock.

ciao
gr
* similar thing with some bib shorts I ordered from Aerotech but they mailed and asked me to verify instead of rejecting payment. Overall good for CC fraud prevention I guess

Last edited:
But if budget is flexible I will always prefer something from sbooster or uptone or similar

I got a mail from Teddy Pardo. They can do EMS but 3 - 5 days. That gives me two days to spare. Too much for my risk appetite and easily scared off nature. I'm a chicken in these matters.

I have two options 1) my brother is making a year end trip by then the sbooster is a possibility (borderlinx warehouse by the way is not open in the US for now) 2) follow up on the lead the bornfi posted.

ciao
gr

Back