The magic of vintage Shure cartridges

kuruvilajacob

Hi friends,
I have been busy with some engagements I had undertaken. I could not concentrate on my passion of critical listening of vinyls in a relaxed mode though I have been buying selected rare vintage turntables and modifications of Lenco turntables. In my earlier days I was fortunate to get quite a lot of Shure cartridges with turntables. I had preserved some of them and sold a few with turntables I used to sell. I had also purchased some of the well respected new cartridges also. Of late I have been using few Shure cartridges like Shure 75 ED , 91 ED and 95 ED to name a few. I daresay they sound so much richer than some of the newer cartridges. I do remember many years back I had written in this forum that I like Shure cartridges and few forum members at that time were not very impressed by it. But I must admit that some of the vintage Shure and Audio Technica cartridges like 12 ae and 14 ae are so warm and rich in their performance. I am thoroughly enjoying these . Unfortunately, after market styli from Jicco and others are too expensive to consider

Nice to hear from you ..do give us a peek into the Vintage tables you have managed to source !

I have got an offer of Rs 12K for Shure mt 100e cartridge ( unopened new box). I don't have any idea about this model. Any info on this will be of great help for me.

Regards
Adarsh

I think you can use it. The body looks identical. I would suggest to buy AT VM95e at similar budget or Nagaoka MP 110 if you are willing to spend little more.

Regards
Sachin

I have got an offer of Rs 12K for Shure mt 100e cartridge ( unopened new box). I don't have any idea about this model. Any info on this will be of great help for me.

Regards
Adarsh
appears to be an M75 clone. can't find any spec on it, but the name sounds elliptical.
if you very much want the vintage sound, go ahead, else an AT95e is more bang for buck, or a Nagaoka MP100 is good value

Sachu888, can we use this M55e Jico stylus with M44G cart? Thank you.
yes, i have M44-7, M44-G, M55 - they all work fine with each other
Shure M44 bodies used to be available cheaply. now that shure has discontinued them, their prices have gone up :(

Last edited:
I think you can use it. The body looks identical. I would suggest to buy AT VM95e at similar budget or Nagaoka MP 110 if you are willing to spend little more.

Regards
Sachin
I do have AT 95, what are the differences and improvements between AT 95 & AT VM95e ? Thank you.

I do have AT 95, what are the differences and improvements between AT 95 & AT VM95e ? Thank you.
There is not much difference between two as you already have this cart. If anyone is looking to buy a new one should select VM series. The price difference isn't much. It's more flexible with variety of styli options and slightly better frequency response.
More info here https://www.audio-technica.com/en-u...ew-features-of-the-at-vm95-series-cartridges/

Regards
Sachin

Am a Shure fanatic. Best in class is V15 type III with JICO styli. It's so smooth on near mint vinyls. M 44-7 (Made in US and Mexico) is the best bet on the EPs and SPs. M97Xe is a daily cart with neutral sonic signature. Recently added M75E with original styli. Yet to try though. Even M92E is kept in the shelf.

I listen to Bollywood oldies and Bengali vinyls only.

+1 to Shure
Always used Shure, actually have grown up listening to Shure :)
Started with Dad's M75-6s on a Garrard SP25mk1 which kept going through to around 2010. Dad had purchased this one new and also had its original N75-6 stylus. What a good cartridge it really was. Though a poor sibling of the greater Shure models, it could match them and even beat some of them. When i got my own SL3200 rig, my turntable had a Japanese cartridge on it, a friend suggested to try the M44-7. I got one for $60 with headshell on amazon US and that together with my technics s-tonearm (considered rather low end) made almost all my records, listenable and enjoyable. I have the V15 type II, III and IV in my collection together with the M70b, M3D and M95ED (Dual version) and all sound very nice. I particularly enjoy the smooth sounding M70b on older instrumental records.

Nice to hear from you ..do give us a peek into the Vintage tables you have managed to source !
I will Arj. I have mentioned about my collection in another post. I am so fascinated by vintage cartridges these days. They are so smooth and engaging.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back