The music loving cohabitants who wreck havoc in your home

sanjivnayak

There are unknown listeners that are also predators, in your home. If you have little time, please read on the following.

Friends, after arranging funds from different sources, own savings in 20 years old passbooks, NSC, FD etc I found I am just making up to 40% of the estimate for construction of my dream home. Of course, home loan should make up the balance 60% but my wife is bit conservative and does not like the word ‘loan’.

I had almost finalised the construction plan and obtained approval from the local authority. My friend an Architect by profession has done it so I was satisfied. But for structural design he has referred the plan to his colleague and the working drawings are about to be arrived. I have received a call from the engineer to visit his office for discussion.

Appears to be in mid forties, the civil engineer welcomed me to his cabin. He had some drawings on his table and my approved plan by its side. I thought he will discuss about his consultancy fees and hand over me the drawings. But he asked me about my profession and my understanding about building design. He said, “I feel it necessary to educate you about some external forces those affect the building safety but by and large we ignore them. Wind, seismic, snow, salinity, impact damage, vibration, explosion, lightening, deep mining or excavation, etc. Such factors either not taken deliberately or by ignorance particularly in case of a residential low height building design due to the cost factor. But I am not going to burden you by alarmingly over-designing your house as your are having a pretty tight budget. As you know entirely overlooking these aspects may cost you heavily for restoration if actually damages occurred”. He gave me three options to go by. I found the construction cost increased by as much as 1.5 to 2 times. I requested him to further minimise and try to keep to minimum as we have faith in almighty and so far no building has collapsed in my locality.

So the construction has just started but intermittent rain curbing the pace. In a month or so rainy season will start. I have to keep stock of sand, chips as the cost will sky rocket. Thinking this I was just about the leave the site, I saw a person looking at the excavated trench for columns. Then he came and asked me whether I have planned any termite treatment of the foundation because this place is badly infested by termites. He is working for a renowned pest control firm. He further told:

Termites are notorious for causing a ridiculous amount of damage to homes that often go undetected for long periods of time. By the time homeowners realize they have a termite problem, an expensive amount of damage may have been done to the structure, wooden elements of the home, furnitures, doors, windows and anything that have been stored in lofts including books, suitcase, leather, cloth, plastic. The thing that is most painful is that these repairs done by termite damage are usually always out of pocket as insurance companies don’t insure homes for termite damage like they do for damage caused by natural disasters like tornados and hurricanes.

I could not sleep that night. Termites will eat away all wooden stuff. My most loved speakers, cabinets and collection of vinyls of my grand father. I woke up and reached my laptop to know more about those insects.

Browsed through: https://www.solutionsstores.com/kno...ming-signs-that-you-may-have-drywood-termites

Excerpts from the site:

“You may have seen enough closeup pictures of termites to know what they look like but do you know what termites sound like? If you have an infestation of drywood termites (or any type of termite for that matter) and listen closely, you’ll discover that termites make quite a racket.

One sign of a severe termite problem is soft clicking sounds coming from the walls. This clicking may come from Soldier termites banging their heads against the wood or shaking their bodies. No they haven’t lost their minds, this is what they do to alert the colony that there is danger afoot.

The worker termites, which are the termites who do the majority of the damage to your home’s precious woodwork, are very noisy eaters. If you know of an area infested by these wood-lovers and listen in, you can hear those termites having a munchfest. put your ear close to any wood infested by termites you can hear them munching away”.

Further reading make me mad.

“So you now know that termites like to be noisy, but did you know that termites also like the noise we listen to in our homes? What some may be surprised to hear is that termites love rock music! This fact was revealed widely by Snapple posting facts on their bottle caps, as you can see here. They found this fact out from learning of a recent study carried out which concluded that the eating habits of termites go into hyper drive when they listen to loud music, particularly rock music, eating two times faster in pace than without music.

This may be largely due to the sensitivity of termites, who are able to detect vibrations and noises using several organs which are found at the base of their antennae and on the tibia. Keep that in mind next time you decide to blast some tunes in your home. You're not the only ones jamming!” So I have decided to do the anti-termite treatment and postpone HT room treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are unknown listeners that are also predators, in your home. If you have little time, please read on the following.

Friends, after arranging funds from different sources, own savings in 20 years old passbooks, NSC, FD etc I found I am just making up to 40% of the estimate for construction of my dream home. Of course, home loan should make up the balance 60% but my wife is bit conservative and does not like the word ‘loan’.

I had almost finalised the construction plan and obtained approval from the local authority. My friend an Architect by profession has done it so I was satisfied. But for structural design he has referred the plan to his colleague and the working drawings are about to be arrived. I have received a call from the engineer to visit his office for discussion.

Appears to be in mid forties, the civil engineer welcomed me to his cabin. He had some drawings on his table and my approved plan by its side. I thought he will discuss about his consultancy fees and hand over me the drawings. But he asked me about my profession and my understanding about building design. He said, “I feel it necessary to educate you about some external forces those affect the building safety but by and large we ignore them. Wind, seismic, snow, salinity, impact damage, vibration, explosion, lightening, deep mining or excavation, etc. Such factors either not taken deliberately or by ignorance particularly in case of a residential low height building design due to the cost factor. But I am not going to burden you by alarmingly over-designing your house as your are having a pretty tight budget. As you know entirely overlooking these aspects may cost you heavily for restoration if actually damages occurred”. He gave me three options to go by. I found the construction cost increased by as much as 1.5 to 2 times. I requested him to further minimise and try to keep to minimum as we have faith in almighty and so far no building has collapsed in my locality.

So the construction has just started but intermittent rain curbing the pace. In a month or so rainy season will start. I have to keep stock of sand, chips as the cost will sky rocket. Thinking this I was just about the leave the site, I saw a person looking at the excavated trench for columns. Then he came and asked me whether I have planned any termite treatment of the foundation because this place is badly infested by termites. He is working for a renowned pest control firm. He further told:

Termites are notorious for causing a ridiculous amount of damage to homes that often go undetected for long periods of time. By the time homeowners realize they have a termite problem, an expensive amount of damage may have been done to the structure, wooden elements of the home, furnitures, doors, windows and anything that have been stored in lofts including books, suitcase, leather, cloth, plastic. The thing that is most painful is that these repairs done by termite damage are usually always out of pocket as insurance companies don’t insure homes for termite damage like they do for damage caused by natural disasters like tornados and hurricanes.

I could not sleep that night. Termites will eat away all wooden stuff. My most loved speakers, cabinets and collection of vinyls of my grand father. I woke up and reached my laptop to know more about those insects.

Browsed through: https://www.solutionsstores.com/kno...ming-signs-that-you-may-have-drywood-termites

Excerpts from the site:

“You may have seen enough closeup pictures of termites to know what they look like but do you know what termites sound like? If you have an infestation of drywood termites (or any type of termite for that matter) and listen closely, you’ll discover that termites make quite a racket.

One sign of a severe termite problem is soft clicking sounds coming from the walls. This clicking may come from Soldier termites banging their heads against the wood or shaking their bodies. No they haven’t lost their minds, this is what they do to alert the colony that there is danger afoot.

The worker termites, which are the termites who do the majority of the damage to your home’s precious woodwork, are very noisy eaters. If you know of an area infested by these wood-lovers and listen in, you can hear those termites having a munchfest. put your ear close to any wood infested by termites you can hear them munching away”.

Further reading make me mad.

“So you now know that termites like to be noisy, but did you know that termites also like the noise we listen to in our homes? What some may be surprised to hear is that termites love rock music! This fact was revealed widely by Snapple posting facts on their bottle caps, as you can see here. They found this fact out from learning of a recent study carried out which concluded that the eating habits of termites go into hyper drive when they listen to loud music, particularly rock music, eating two times faster in pace than without music.

This may be largely due to the sensitivity of termites, who are able to detect vibrations and noises using several organs which are found at the base of their antennae and on the tibia. Keep that in mind next time you decide to blast some tunes in your home. You're not the only ones jamming!” So I have decided to do the anti-termite treatment and postpone HT room treatment.
I really don't know if all this is true. No offence but looks fake and that was a story totally not required. Is it your own story?
Anyhow have been living in the same house since birth and rarely have I ever seen anything destroyed by termites in my home. Mostly the wood used in my house is termite resistant boards etc, protected by paint and well maintained.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't know if all this is true. No offence but looks fake and that was a story totally not required. Is it your own story?
Anyhow have been living in the same house since birth and rarely have I ever seen anything destroyed by termites in my home. Mostly the wood used in my house is termite resistant boards etc, protected by paint and well maintained.
Might want to read this

https://www.jcehrlich.com/blog/termites-like-rock-music/

also this video may help make that a fact

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...tors-Does-music-make-termites-eat-faster.html

Ignore it at your own peril. It's a clear and present danger. You've been lucky that the area you live doesn't have termites.

The best way of termite treatment is right at inception during construction of pillars. If you're buying a flat where the builder might not have done it, get the treatment on all the walls of the flat before plastering.

This is an old thread but posting none the less Termite protection is easy and cheap. Termites not only infest wood but concrete too. Also if wood is old and hardened there is less chance that termite will infest it... In old days the homes which had wooden columns had a stone foundation at base precisely for this additional reason. See here. Wadas. We had lovely wadas in Kalyan which were replaced by ugly square concrete buildings.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back