The Plasma Reliability Thread (Poll Included)

Have you had any issues with your plasma?

• Yes. Thermal Expansion. (Internal spider-web crack)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Looks like with black optimizer turned on F8500 can go as low as .002 to .001 but with black optimizer turned off it does go that low and stays at .005, the peak luminance however is double that of any panasonic plasma's achieve this year, so again blacks go to Panasonic this year as well. A lot of members have bought the F8500 and whats surprising is that many are kuro owners and their impression of this tv has been pretty amazing so far.

F8500 screens posted by a member.

Here are some of the user impressions.

I decided to take Ph8te's advice and check out the VT60 in person at Magnolia. I was lucky to have a truly fantastic salesman help me out. A 64" F8500 was directly above the a 60" VT60 and we spent almost an hour comparing the two panels in virtually every way possible. Here are my observations:

The first thing I must mention is that we have a VT50 in our bedroom, if you are familiar with that tv, you will be familiar with the VT60...to be perfectly honest, I could not tell the difference, although I did prefer the all glass design of the VT60. Aesthetically, it is a beautiful tv and would look great in any room. I should also mention the VT60 was only in the store for 3 days and had not even been broken in yet.

My salesman said the best way to compare tv's is not to just try the same settings and compare the picture, but to also put them through extremes and see how they perform. He started with the out of the box standard mode on the F8500 and the THX mode on the VT60. If you have experienced a horrible picture with the standard settings in the past, you will not with these tv's. Both looked very normal...not deformed in any way.

The first thing you notice is that although the VT60 has an all glass design, it is the F8500 that provides the effect of looking through a pane of glass. There is a slight haze with the VT60 that you do not see in the F8500. From a clarity and detail standpoint, we both preferred the F8500. You could see the gleam in peoples eyes form a distance on the F8500, while you could only see that gleam on close up views of a persons face on the VT60. Colors looked great on both sets. One advantage the VT60 had, as Ken had mentioned, is that you could see a little more detail through the blacks....better shadow detail. I specifically looked for that and had to point it out to the salesman for him to notice it. One other thing that could be considered an advantage is that the VT60 is not as bright in daylight scenes and not as dark in nighttime scenes, so the transition form light to dark is more comfortable. Although we both much preferred the F8500 overall, I would probably give the VT60 the advantage in dark scenes.

The salesman said now lets have some fun and put the tv's in a variety of extreme modes...maxing out the gamma and contrast etc... He was trying to show me how he could still get a clean, although extremely bright, picture by tweaking the settings. He cranked up the lights and in that environment, the F8500 dominated. The clearest, brightest picture you could imagine...with great detail. The Vt60 does not have the ability to do that...it looked fuzzy and washed out. In a bright environment the F8500 is just spectacular. On the other side of the coin, when reducing the settings to minimum levels, the F8500 could still be adjusted to produce a nice picture, but the blacks were more dominate than on the VT60. At very dim levels, the VT60 gets the nod.

ABL, popping, or whatever you call it, was visible on both sets in the extreme bright modes. You can see it more clearly on the F8500, in part because the the picture itself it's so much clearer in those modes. I didn't even notice it on the VT60 until the salesman said "there it is!". What we viewed did not produce very much ABL so I can't really give an a thorough comparison on that issue.

Finally, the salesman insisted I check the smart stuff, which has been so feeble in the past, I didn't really care, but I'm glad I did. The F8500 is so much better than anything you have experienced. To my surprise it was very fast and functional. The biggest surprise of all was how stunning HD YouTube videos looked...I was not expected it to look so perfect. It really blew me away. That was not the case with the VT60..no comparison. Okay, that's all, I've written enough. Thanks for your time : )

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/o...s-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/3120

So today I finally had my 64" set calibrated by one of the top calibrators in the country, Mr. Jeff Meier. Was an absolute privilege to get him scheduled during his Florida tour, and very cool to be the first F8500 he's laid his hands on! In short - his words - "It is a very impressive set."

He calibrated both my 2D and 3D Movie modes and I am absolutely blown away by the PQ. The accuracy, the clarity, the depth, the film-like presentation, all off the charts excellent! Extremely happy with the results. I won't share all of my settings here, because truthfully white balance settings in particular (and being the main portion of any calibration) do not translate exactly between sets so it would be a misleading representation of the extraordinary talent Jeff possesses (plus I didn't ask if he would be ok with it.) However, I'm more than happy to share some of his observations and comments during he calibration.

- Just to get it out of the way, he was hoping this would be a "kuro-killer" (he himself owns one but it's been out so long he'd love there to be a better plasma introduced just for a change!) but at the end of the calibration deemed it not to be, mainly because of slightly better color accuracy he's observed on the Kuro. However, he says its the best plasma he's seen otherwise, and extremely close overall, even saying that if he hadn't worked with so many Kuros over the years and known its subtleties so well it would be difficult to tell the difference, it's that close. He did think that motion, however, particularly in 24 frames with Cinema Smooth (which he had not been impressed with on previous Samsungs) was superb on the F8500 and slightly better than the Kuro, so there was a point on the board for us. :) But again, don't despair, the differences were all subtle, not significant. He was still very impressed with the F8500.

- In his expert opinion this is the best 3D of any TV, plasma or otherwise - period. He says Samsung plasma always does it better but this is the best of the best. Clear, zero crosstalk, bright, and just... Correctly executed.

- He expects it will be better than the ZT60.

- In terms of black levels he measured .002 with Optimizer in Dark Room and .005 in bright room. At first he calibrated with Dark Room, but during post measurement adjustments identified that Dark Room clips at near black, limiting white to come through in the low end and effecting flesh tones and overall color hues. This was clearly noticeable by all three of us in attendance. Bright room ended up being the better option to give a much more accurate picture still with awesome blacks (the difference in black level in bright room was measurable but in practical viewing not noticeable given the accurate greyscale calibration. The change in hues in dark room was definitely noticed though.)

There was a ton of other stuff too but these are a few things that come to mind as i write this at 2am. :p Any questions let me know! I'll be here... Probably watching a movie and drooling at the best PQ I've ever owned. Thanks Jeff, and thanks Samsung!!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/o...s-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/3150

In the mean time another amazing review for VT60, so overall a great year for plasma again.

Google Translate

I have a 42 inch ST series plasma.. yesterday I noticed that its not powering up and on close observation noticed a crack from the middle of the screen to the bottom of the panel.. my heart is broken seeing it. It is an internal crack.The crack is long and not spider web type and also no one has thrown anything on the screen.The panel is only 1.2 years old. I am not sure whether they will honor:mad: the warranty (3 yrs)

I have a 42 inch ST series plasma.. yesterday I noticed that its not powering up and on close observation noticed a crack from the middle of the screen to the bottom of the panel.. my heart is broken seeing it. It is an internal crack.The crack is long and not spider web type and also no one has thrown anything on the screen.The panel is only 1.2 years old. I am not sure whether they will honor:mad: the warranty (3 yrs)

Whoops... that's sad to hear! Was it wall mounted or on a stand?

What a coincidence! !!
The "Bump" in the thread already produced a crack on ST series.

Is it ST50 series? I am just celebrating one year anniversary with my st50.

What a coincidence! !!

Seriously man! Even I got a new plasma installed just yesterday..scary... Lol

Samsung E490D 43 inches.. One year and a month.. Easily clocked 3000 hours.. I used to watch 4 to 5 hours in the day and a movie in the night.. Dint have stb.. Cable tv without any logos.. Absolutely no burn in or image retention of any sort..

Samsung 51F5500 51 inches.. 2 months and 15 days.. About 300 hours on Airtel stb.. Since I dint have any ir problems in my previous plasma I went in a did not break in.. So got the bright red colors as retention.. But after I shifted to static and it slides.. Its gone..

A friend of mine got the Samsung, amsung 4900 recently.. No issues till date..

What a coincidence! !!

Yes it was 42ST50D. After constant followup with Panasonic and after the local Panasonic representative informed me that crack is a cause of Physical damage (by me) by just seeing the pics, and again writing more mails and calls to Panasonic , they just confirmed to me that the replacement is approved :) .Now I am not sure which model they are going to replace it with.I don't think there will be a 42ST50 lying some where.So waiting eagerly for the replacement.I am so happy with Panasonic Customer care

My LG PQ60 is ~4.5 years old. Had to replace some part for Rs. 4800/- when it turned 4.

Other than that temporary IR issues. I forgot the method to open the service menu to check for the hours used. Anybody remeber, then please let me know.

EDIT: Checked the service menu....UTT 0!!!! I don't know what happened, there is also an option to reset the UTT....I may have accidently done that. Since I did not find the back button on the remote. I'll try again in couple of days and see if it is working or not.

Also, I have read that this TV has an "Expert mode" in picture settings. But its not present on mine. Any one else know about it?

Last edited:
Samsung 51D550 , 3 years and going strong. Never had any problem with it. Initially used it for movies only. Now have my hd stb plugged in and used heavily since last 6 months. I love my plasma and glad i bought it.

Have a Samsung Q9 Plasma, bought in 2006 -2007 time frame. Still going strong and doing duty.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back