The potential of full range Drivers

manek

Hi Folks

Do you think full range drivers will ever be used in the mainstream hi-fi products? Will they always be niche ? Or will we have to settle for the dual concentric ones a la Tannoy, Kef, etc ?

Whats the latest on them ?

Manek

R&D on full range has been stalled for long time now , Might be the dynamics in the recording couldn't get reproduced in full range. But Full range is been favorite for Few genre of music like Classical, Jazz, country etc since they have less dynamics compared to Rock\pop or other music genres.

For sure Hifi might not bring back the Full range in their products,but limited to few.
PA systems are still using the Fullrange drivers for their prodcuts.

Interesting question and the words are loaded. I'd lean 99% toward "no" but with caveats. "Hi-Fi" (whatever it means at the time) itself isn't remotely mainstream. Everything is cyclic, albeit slow to change. If people consider the little B*se cubes "hi-fi", one could argue that the tiny drivers have already been mainstream, just assisted. Certainly in prosound, things like the big coaxes are widely distributed so there's some quality of "mainstream". Personally, I think "fullrange" will be subsumed in structures and that this, however "hi-fi" it is, will be the way of things (but I'm also wrong every day at least once): https://news.mit.edu/2022/low-power-thin-loudspeaker-0426

R&D on full range has been stalled for long time now , Might be the dynamics in the recording couldn't get reproduced in full range. But Full range is been favorite for Few genre of music like Classical, Jazz, country etc since they have less dynamics compared to Rock\pop or other music genres.

For sure Hifi might not bring back the Full range in their products,but limited to few.
PA systems are still using the Fullrange drivers for their prodcuts.
Classical music less dynamics ?????
Jazz Big band less dynamics ?????
Interesting question and the words are loaded. I'd lean 99% toward "no" but with caveats. "Hi-Fi" (whatever it means at the time) itself isn't remotely mainstream. Everything is cyclic, albeit slow to change. If people consider the little B*se cubes "hi-fi", one could argue that the tiny drivers have already been mainstream, just assisted. Certainly in prosound, things like the big coaxes are widely distributed so there's some quality of "mainstream". Personally, I think "fullrange" will be subsumed in structures and that this, however "hi-fi" it is, will be the way of things (but I'm also wrong every day at least once): https://news.mit.edu/2022/low-power-thin-loudspeaker-0426
The cubes and headphones excluded….

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back