The search for TRUTH! (Unadvertised Voltage & Hertz) DENON AVR 110-240V?....

eraserhead1980

So here is the story. two years ago at tax return time in the U.S. (during the rise of the cheap HDTV machines) I ordered a 50" SAMSUNG PN50B550 plasma tv. Love it... A year later I found myself in Europe using a Step down converter (due to the voltage difference.) It clearly states 110v @ 60hz on the back with no range and a few days ago while looking at my giant lame 1500w transformer I started thinking about the requirements to simply change my tv power supply to 230v. I found this site called shopjimmy selling tv parts from tvs damaged in shipment and noticed after enlarging the pictures of many samsung power supplies I could not find a single power supply that read only 110. I only found 110-240v 50-60 hertz.
So of course I knew what I had to do, Unplugged the television and started unscrewing bolts, about 20 screws later,sure enough 110-240v 50-60hz with all 250w fuses. I took a plunge, plugged it in and am now enjoying plugging directly in the old wall and saving a bit of electricity for the planet. :yahoo:

Now for the big problem. :sad: I am also using the same step down converter for my Denon AVR 1610. Feeling a bit braver now after still having a functional TV I opened it up to check if it can do 230v but to no avail. This board is not as clearly marked. everything I can find just says 250v but this could be common for 120 rated? (not really sure). Any help/opinion/advice is appreciated. Pictures are attached. Please feel free to comment on anything. I dont have tools to test so please let me know what I need if that is the only way. Pictures are attached.

flickr.com/photos/63992542@N06/sets/72157628128901208

TVs usually use SMPS which can handle a vide voltage range. But Amps use transformers which are designed for working within a limited voltage range. So you will need to change the transformer of the AVR.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back