The Supertweeter

arj

Staff member
Got myself a new Toy..a Tannoy ST-25 supertweeter their oldest one.

While the effect of a subwoofer for Audio is well regarded, was curious about this as there are various discussions on its advantages, its disadvantages and of course if it even makes sense due to human hearing limits of 20Khz and limitations in the recording itself.

As most human males lose high frequency frequency hearing past their 40's I also tested mine and realized that I hear less above 12Khz and almost nothing above 14khz.

As an experiment played a 16khz tone via it and while for me it was no sound my 16 year old daughter found it unbearable. but again while there was not sound for me could feel some energy on my head ..not sure how much is imagination and how much actual hearing.

While I was doing my research came across a white paper by Tannoy and found the below summary
Tannoy Wideband White Paper.PDF

HUMAN PERCEPTION OF ULTRASOUND
So far we have considered how the addition of a SuperTweeter improves the phase and transient performance of a loudspeaker, especially a DualConcentric, in what is traditionally known as the audible band up to 20kHz.We know that musical instruments have energy up to and beyond 100kHz, but can we perceive it?
Japanese researchers Oohashi et al [5] conducted experiments with wide bandwidth material to 60kHz, whereby a SuperTweeter could be either switched in or out. By monitoring the subjects’ brainwave activity and noting subjective scores under blind conditions, they concluded that the listeners were indeed responding to the ultrasonic components in the music.

A further paper [6], concluded that profoundly deaf subjects relied on ultrasonic detection in their discrimination of speech and tones. They concluded the mechanism was through bone conduction, probably to a small organ in the inner ear called the saccule, which is effectively wired to the cochlea, the organ responsible for hearing as we know it.

So will experiment a little more around this later this week !

if nothing else will be an ornament for the speaker and prevent people placing things on it
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-04 at 09.34.19.jpeg

While the effect of a subwoofer for Audio is well regarded, was curious about this as there are various discussions on its advantages, its disadvantages and of course if it even makes sense due to human hearing limits of 20Khz and limitations in the recording itself.

As most human males lose high frequency frequency hearing past their 40's I also tested mine and realized that I hear less above 12Khz and almost nothing above 14khz.

As an experiment played a 16khz tone via it and while for me it was no sound my 16 year old daughter found it unbearable. but again while there was not sound for me could feel some energy on my head ..not sure how much is imagination and how much actual hearing.

While I was doing my research came across a white paper by Tannoy and found the below summary

if nothing else will be an ornament for the speaker and prevent people placing things on it
View attachment 81690
BEAUTIFUL cabinet!! Music from the Dual Concentric driver will be blissful! Cheers!

The REL subwoofers they say add to the overall weight and tone of the music, in a similar vein the supertweeter you think might be adding to the total tone as a whole instead of just high frequencies?

The REL subwoofers they say add to the overall weight and tone of the music, in a similar vein the supertweeter you think might be adding to the total tone as a whole instead of just high frequencies?
The energy is much less so the lower harmonics may not influence much although it will be adding more of atmosphere to the high frequencies.

View attachment 81690
Thank you so much.

View attachment 81690
Congratulations on your new acquistion. The speaker cabinet looks very pretty and a work of art.👌

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back