The tragedy and comedy of Philips

murali

Back in the good old days of CRT TVs, I also managed to own a 25" Sony with the "black Trinitron" considered the best in its class and others nowhere near it. It was with me for nearly 10 years and about 5-6 years back, I started searching the market for a replacement. The LCDs and Plasmas were just coming out then and quite expensive compared to now. Sony had gone down the hill and then entering the latest LCD market. That was when I came across the Philips with PixelPlus and I bought not one but two (a 29" CRT in living room and a 55" RPTV for HT) and are still with me. Both are excellent and the Philips technology was great, nothing else near to that.

Even then and all these years and even now, I keep on hearing that Philips are getting out of the consumer electronics market.

Now, here in weekends, I walk around the several malls looking at all those latest glittering LCD, LED, occasional Plasmas quite regularly. To me, nothing comes anywhere near the Pioneer Kuro plasma as far as picture clarity, motion, colors, blackness and image depth are concerned. Of late, I am seeing the latest Philips 21:9 LCD (I think 56") unbelievably good with magnificent pictures, smooth motions and almost 3D effect. It is just stunning. It is altogether a different beast relative to even their 9000 series. Believe me, I am saying this after looking at all those Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Panasonic etc displayed alongside. I think it is as good as the Kuro or even better and the shop owners tell me they sell a few pieces every week. Here it costs a little over $5,000 which is cheaper than the last pieces of 9th generation 60" Kuro put for sale.

What astounds me that when I was in India last month and spoke to my local Philips dealer (with whom I have a good customer-seller relationship and who believe I am the craziest guy in my place when I bought their RPTV, perhaps the only sale in my city at that time!), I got an immediate phone call from Philips central marketing office (Guragaon, I think) informing me that their price in India is about Rs 4.5 lakhs!

Philips is the tragic story of how good you can be but never want to be. It also takes comic proportions when you look at their marketing strategy and image.

I have so far no complaints about them as a customer. If only someone can talk to them and let them decide and inform the world what is their strategy, where they want to be, can we consumers still believe they will exist after 5 or 10 years in the market segment, more sane prices etc etc, .......

cheers.
murali

Back in the good old days of CRT TVs, I also managed to own a 25" Sony with the "black Trinitron" considered the best in its class and others nowhere near it. It was with me for nearly 10 years and about 5-6 years back, I started searching the market for a replacement. The LCDs and Plasmas were just coming out then and quite expensive compared to now. Sony had gone down the hill and then entering the latest LCD market. That was when I came across the Philips with PixelPlus and I bought not one but two (a 29" CRT in living room and a 55" RPTV for HT) and are still with me. Both are excellent and the Philips technology was great, nothing else near to that.

Even then and all these years and even now, I keep on hearing that Philips are getting out of the consumer electronics market.

Now, here in weekends, I walk around the several malls looking at all those latest glittering LCD, LED, occasional Plasmas quite regularly. To me, nothing comes anywhere near the Pioneer Kuro plasma as far as picture clarity, motion, colors, blackness and image depth are concerned. Of late, I am seeing the latest Philips 21:9 LCD (I think 56") unbelievably good with magnificent pictures, smooth motions and almost 3D effect. It is just stunning. It is altogether a different beast relative to even their 9000 series. Believe me, I am saying this after looking at all those Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Panasonic etc displayed alongside. I think it is as good as the Kuro or even better and the shop owners tell me they sell a few pieces every week. Here it costs a little over $5,000 which is cheaper than the last pieces of 9th generation 60" Kuro put for sale.

What astounds me that when I was in India last month and spoke to my local Philips dealer (with whom I have a good customer-seller relationship and who believe I am the craziest guy in my place when I bought their RPTV, perhaps the only sale in my city at that time!), I got an immediate phone call from Philips central marketing office (Guragaon, I think) informing me that their price in India is about Rs 4.5 lakhs!

Philips is the tragic story of how good you can be but never want to be. It also takes comic proportions when you look at their marketing strategy and image.

I have so far no complaints about them as a customer. If only someone can talk to them and let them decide and inform the world what is their strategy, where they want to be, can we consumers still believe they will exist after 5 or 10 years in the market segment, more sane prices etc etc, .......

cheers.
murali

Murali,
We have a Philips CRT at home which is also performing astoundingly after so many years. I realised it more so when last year I was checking out many CRTs alongwith a friend who wanted to purchase one. None of them matched up, keep in mind, the Philips CRT at my home is a basic model too.
It nice to know their new 21:9 LCDs are so good, but now no one can buy one in peace because the market is flooded with news of Philips impending withdrawal from the consumer electronics scene.

PHILIPS - Confusion - Perplexity - Puzzlement - Bewilderment
Want more ? Never going to buy their product. Wasted a lot of money.
8-((

@murali is the 29" crt model is 29PT8836/94? i had the misfortune of owning this tv for 3 months, whilst the pq was great the TV went bust in 3 months and philips couldn't repair it or get it replaced and I was offered a cash back and upgrade to lcd which I have now exchanged for samsung and no issues until now with samsung..

@murali is the 29" crt model is 29PT8836/94? i had the misfortune of owning this tv for 3 months, whilst the pq was great the TV went bust in 3 months and philips couldn't repair it or get it replaced and I was offered a cash back and upgrade to lcd which I have now exchanged for samsung and no issues until now with samsung..

Sorry, I don't recollect the model number. It is a 29" Pixelplus CRT and has been with me for the last 5-6 years without any issues. The 55" RPTV (also a Pixelplus) is also doing great and despite all the known disadvantages of a typical RPTV, it continues to perform well, especially DVD playback in a HT setup. The latter's cable TV performance was lousy but with the recent change to Asianet's set-top box, has improved a bit.

cheers.
murali

Philips 29" CRT owned by my friend broke down due to voltage fluctuation.Amazingly other TV were left unharmed.
It was a harrowing time repairing the TV.

hi Murali,

was surprised to see ur post...because of late I have had similar thoughts..Philips is making great TVs which nobody has ever seen (at least here in Mumbai)..in here you walk into any multi brand showrooms across the city no Philips Tvs anywhere..after I read amazing reviews of the Philips 9000 and 7000 series LCDs I wanted to check em out but found them no where apart from the dedicated brand shops (total 3 in Mumbai) and probably lesser or none in other cities..the guy at the brand shop said Philips gives lower margins thus multi brand shops don't keep em!!!!!! At their prices I find it hard to beleive..also the kind of discounts the brand shop is giving on MRP..its also difficult to beleive margins are low...another guy in a multi-brand showroom also told me that they are getting out of consumer electronic business altogether...tragic...cause beleive me both the 42" 7409 and 5609 are VERY good TVs, probably one of the best in their price range...now even I am thinking twice before buying any of these as I am wondering whether they will be able to provide service or not...

When we were looking for the LCD/LED models about 4-5 months back for my friend, searched a lot over the internet and found that their 9000 series is getting wonderful reviews from AV reviewers/critics.
We mailed to Philips India inquiring about 9000 series and guess what still have not got reply from them:sad:.

Even they make amazing product it is not reaching to consumers due their poor marketing and lack of interest to sell.
even it is not widely available in Europe as well. Overall consumers are loosing the quality LCD experience.

I was able to see only 5000 series models put on display in many stores.

If they launch their 9000 series it will give run for the money to high end LCD/led tvs here in India.

Hope somebody from Philips India is listening to this.

Is there anybody in this forum has 7000 series LCD?

Last edited:
I am also waiting for Philips to launch 9000 series in India with a reasonable price.... The news that the company might stop consumer electronics, makes it reluctant for customers to go for Philips... Ofcourse, Sony, LG and samsung are the alternate options...

Philips is really poor in time to market and also over prices their products...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back