The Vintage Turntable Ambassador !

some pics from yesterdays activity...

thanks to all who helped..

very grateful..

IMG_20180908_144923.jpgIMG_20180908_145026.jpgIMG_20180908_154739.jpgIMG_20180908_185749.jpgIMG_20180908_185936.jpgIMG_20180908_190207.jpg
regards

Attachments

• IMG_20180909_105553.jpg
    IMG_20180909_105553.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 8
the TT is not working yet..

There is a scraping noise coming on from the platter when it rotates with power ON and power OFF

so i have to look at lencoheaven.net and look for answers..

it will take time

i do not know when i can devote time to this again

too many work related travels

tiring.

regards

Enjoy this process as you will learn more about this TT and thats the fun of the lenco..its all very simple and mechanical once you get a hang of it. Try to identify the source of the sound. You can use a Screwdriver and put the metal part on different places with your ear on the handle and try and zero down on the source.
Note- The reason could be many..it could be the brake or the spindle (is the small felt washer there on the spindle ?), The platter may be hitting the sides OR the platter may be pressing on the idler wheel too much or maybe the spring holding the idler could be too loose or too tight ( i moved to the pulley/weight tweak to avoid the spring altogether.) etc..

but is the power always on irrespective of on and off ? the lever in the front right engages and disengages the switch ( BTW i completely replaced that action with a pushbutton switch)

The brake is not the problem/ I stuck it down with a cello tape ( temp ) to check - but the platter spindle bearing seems to have a up-down play of nearly 2 to 3 mm

the 2 pics clearly show the level of play

Plan to open and check / service

I do have some SS bearings 5 mm and 5.5 mm and 6 mm in stock

I dont know which material to use to replace the thrust pad - should i need to.

IMG_20180916_101215.jpg
IMG_20180916_101239.jpg
IMG_20180916_101251.jpg

I dont know which material to use to replace the thrust pad - should i need to.

Open and inspect the thrust pad. If the dimple is deep, use the reverse face. Else buy a Fender guitar pick of similar thickness as the pad. It's made of delrin and perfect for the job. Cut it to the same size as the thrust pad and you're done.

Open and inspect the thrust pad. If the dimple is deep, use the reverse face. Else buy a Fender guitar pick of similar thickness as the pad. It's made of delrin and perfect for the job. Cut it to the same size as the thrust pad and you're done.

Good suggestion. Also, first check the circlip at the base of the bearing is sitting correctly in the groove all around.

Regards

Jls

On the reverse side.. Should I make a small dimple and rest the bearing in it ?

Or simply use the reverse face as it is..

Regards

Jls

On the reverse side.. Should I make a small dimple and rest the bearing in it ?

Or simply use the reverse face as it is..

Regards

Simply use reverse face. Dimple will get created itself over the years.

finally - cleaned the platter bearing housing..replaced 5 mm with 6.35 mm bearing - now the play is absent and it looked good to go...

assembled it back..

last few days gave the plinth for a coat of automotive paint..

i used this opportunity to remove the top plate completely..

today got some time to assemble it back..

cartridge fitment and alignment remains..

thats the part i am most scared about... i mean i am afraid of hurting the cartridge..

thumbnail1.jpgthumbnail2.jpg

brown.jpg

Looks very nice
Edit: It looks from the pics that motor transit screw are fully screwed in. The two red screws should be loose. You can even completely remove them.

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:
managed to assemble the cartridge this morning and i think the alignment can get better..

need some more time..

After platter bearing service - there the platter rotates whisper smooth and the motor is tested and running too.. ( with the platter on it )

able to change to all 4 speeds..

need to check also the speed accuracy at 33.33 rpm and 45 rpm - but that i will keep for later.

question is - will this old lady sing ??

oldlady.jpg

Well.. Looks like my Lenco L75 does not appreciate being called old lady...

:))

No music comes out of the tonearm

Opened the tonearm and found 2 wires cut from the point where the tonearm meets the tonearm connector..

Nevertheless an immense learning experience yesterday...

Many thanks jls and Rikhav..

The Lenco will sing.. Just need to find time to resolder the joint.

Regards

Looks good
Where can I get a rubber pulley in Mumbai, (champion Rubber?)
rubber is brittle

Managed to complete the Lenco L75 last month and here are a few pics

The tonearm is an Origin Live Silver

The cart is a new Nagaoka MP110

The road was long and got lot of help along the way .. and the turntable is built in a joint effort so thanks to all !

Its singing really nicely and i like it.

Now.. the ugly duckling has turned into this beautiful Swan ( albeit in Lamborghini Red ) - maybe the worlds only red Swan

:D

So i guess this thread is now complete

best regards

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190620_205222.jpg
    20190620_205222.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 48
  • lencologo1.jpg
    lencologo1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 49
  • thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 47
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back