There's Life Above 20 Kilohertz!

I get uncomfortable with any frequency above 12kHz.

It pierces my ears, even though not being really audible.
So I prefer systems that cannot reproduce higher frequencies.

As a doctor I can comment that the instrument may go to higher frequencies but the human auditory system cannot perceive beyond 20 kHz however with age the hair cells within our cochlea responsible for detecting higher frequencies reduce in number and efficiency so by the time you are an adult the upper limit has come down to 18 kHz add a few decades and it is down to 15 kHz. So you may have a speaker setup producing 100 kHz the higher frequencies will be only disturbing the bats in your neighbourhood.

hmm can I have something to drive away the stray dogs? They are very aggressive and day before yesterday when I went for a morning walk, they almost attacked me.

Alpha,

I do not know the specific condition of your ears. Do have this problem when you attend live music (un amplified) ? Or in normal life when you listen to ambient sounds.

If not, then the problem is with the system and not with your ears. Most music systems sound distorted in the high frequencies.

The source is one of the biggest culprits behind bleached, distorted highs followed by speakers.

At low sound levels?
Distortion is easily audible at higher frequencies ...

Its just that I don't like that spectrum.
Neither pure sine waves, nor any music.

And nor speakers or amps that try to boost the high end to sound "high-end"

This 'super power' may come in handy if you live near vampire bats :D

hmm can I have something to drive away the stray dogs? They are very aggressive and day before yesterday when I went for a morning walk, they almost attacked me.

A Dog Whistle or dog repellent is what you need.

Could be listening fatigue. I faced this issue before, don't listen to your system for 2 weeks and then see if you still have this problem.

Last edited:
There is an interesting mobile application available for Android phones.
The application name is "Test your hearing".
It plays some sounds in different frequencies and asks you whether you can here or not. And based on many of these questions it will analyze your hearing range (frequencies). You cannot bluff it because it asks you some false questions intentionally ;)

It is useful to know our hearing levels (upto what frequency we can hear) before putting our money on some high end (upgrades) just for a high frequency extension.:lol:

As a doctor I can comment that the instrument may go to higher frequencies but the human auditory system cannot perceive beyond 20 kHz...
It's hardly surprising that instruments produce such sounds (or "energies"). Nobody told the designers about the range of human hearing. Nobody told the birds to watch out what they sing, and not to go too high. Nobody mentioned to the bats that we might even be interested in the noises they make.

For all we know, the sound of our footsteps might go beyond audible range. We wouldn't know; we can't hear it. The world is not all about what humans can hear, and what they can't.

But should we shut the door on the possibility of ultrasonic sounds having any effect on our perception? Perhaps not
X. Significance of the results
Given the existence of musical-instrument energy above 20 kilohertz, it is natural to ask whether the energy matters to human perception or music recording. The common view is that energy above 20 kHz does not matter, but AES preprint 3207 by Oohashi et al. claims that reproduced sound above 26 kHz "induces activation of alpha-EEG (electroencephalogram) rhythms that persist in the absence of high frequency stimulation, and can affect perception of sound quality." [4]
Oohashi and his colleagues recorded gamelan to a bandwidth of 60 kHz, and played back the recording to listeners through a speaker system with an extra tweeter for the range above 26 kHz. This tweeter was driven by its own amplifier, and the 26 kHz electronic crossover before the amplifier used steep filters. The experimenters found that the listeners' EEGs and their subjective ratings of the sound quality were affected by whether this "ultra-tweeter" was on or off, even though the listeners explicitly denied that the reproduced sound was affected by the ultra-tweeter, and also denied, when presented with the ultrasonics alone, that any sound at all was being played.
From the fact that changes in subjects' EEGs "persist in the absence of high frequency stimulation," Oohashi and his colleagues infer that in audio comparisons, a substantial silent period is required between successive samples to avoid the second evaluation's being corrupted by "hangover" of reaction to the first.
Perhaps even hifi manufacturers are going to have a problem with a marketing line that goes, "Look at these brainwaves: You may not hear the difference, but your brain can!"

But let the serious, objective research continue. The more the better. It can only benefit human knowledge, maybe medicine, and, ultimately ...perhaps hifi!

I want to add here that even if there may be an effect on brain waves that does not qualify as hearing. It may be called feeling. Similar, but more prominent, is the effect of subsonic sounds 1 to 20 hertz which one can't hear but you feel the thump. Imaging the effect of a lions roar.

Have an umbrella.. :D
And stop thinking everything wrt sound only. ;)

I want to add here that even if there may be an effect on brain waves that does not qualify as hearing. It may be called feeling. Similar, but more prominent, is the effect of subsonic sounds 1 to 20 hertz which one can't hear but you feel the thump. Imaging the effect of a lions roar.

Sir, do the lower range of hearing increase with age too or is 20hz written in stone?

If you are able to find a solution for this my wife will be happy too, as she also is been shooed away by stray dogs during her morning walks and always keeps on asking me for a solution. May be i can see a market here to scare away the dogs using ultrasound techniques. Is any venture capitalist reading this.

FYI Definition / FYI Means
The definition of FYI is "For Your Information"

What does FYI mean? - FYI Definition - Meaning of FYI - InternetSlang.com

Thank you for bringing to my attention what FYI means. Did not knew what that means.;)

Even 1000x thanks to explaining that there is life above 20 khz. I thought the nos had stopped at 20 khz itself. Now I am quite wiser. :rolleyes: :cool:

@AudioDoc,

I posted a doubt in TE. How is it that I am now satisfied with a lower volume? Since measuring IEM output with SPL meter is not exactly easy, I am not sure how much the reduction in volume translates into SPL in dBC. Can our brain adapt to lower hearing volumes over time? Or could other factors be at play (like I am inserting IEMs deeper than before thanks to practice with Etymotic Tri-flanges or as someone called them on head-fi, Etyrapic)? I can rule out ear wax though ;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back