They say offload or free you avr using a power amplifier

Love4sound

Well this is a common explanation or saying by many FM’s and also in other portals. I recently got an used 5 channel Power amp. I currently have a 5.1.2 set up. My LCR and surrounds are connected to power amp and only the atmos speakers are driven by the Denon 4500. My avr heats up the same level while I was using all 7 channels before I got the power amp and to my surprise the power amp doesn’t heat much as the avr. What’s more surprising is when I use pure direct and listen in stereo mode also it heats up a lot and the power amp remains less hot. I find it funny cause it’s the PA that’s powering the speakers and the avr ends up getting very hot. So when using pre-outs what actually happens in the avr? We have already assigned the channels for the inbuilt power amplifier in the avr so my wild guess is that the avr still utilises the power amplifier for all the channels.

AFAIK.
Pioneer LX 59 period ( Elite series ) has option in settings to switch on and OFF the power amp circuit internally and pre out will give output to fire the power amp.
But remaining other models /brands/even current elite series are doubtful !!! Marantz & Denon does not have that option in settings to cut the power to power amp circuit.
Since the speaker is not connected( Open circuit ) in the binding post of your AVR hence heat will reduce a bit , but power supply to the amp circuit stil present imo.

The term "off load /Free the AVR with power amp is partially true for keep the juice for more head room " for the channels driven by AVR itself.

Note - Heat is not getting generated only on power amp section.comparitively heat is getting generated more in power amp section .
Even HDMI board,Common Power supply section will generate heat !!!
Let other FM pitch in.

AFAIK.
Pioneer LX 59 period ( Elite series ) has option in settings to switch on and OFF the power amp circuit internally and pre out will give output to fire the power amp.
But remaining other models /brands/even current elite series are doubtful !!! Marantz & Denon does not have that option in settings to cut the power to power amp circuit.
Since the speaker is not connected( Open circuit ) in the binding post of your AVR hence heat will reduce a bit , but power supply to the amp circuit stil present imo.

The term "off load /Free the AVR with power amp is partially true for keep the juice for more head room " for the channels driven by AVR itself.

Note - Heat is not getting generated only on power amp section.comparitively heat is getting generated more in power amp section .
Even HDMI board,Common Power supply section will generate heat !!!
Let other FM pitch in.
Yes even i thought the same and thanks for confirming. Guess in the future marantz and denon wil bring the option and endorse it as a new feature for marketing their new models

Heat generation should be the least of your concerns. Depending on the design of your Denon, it could be that it just runs hot. This need not be a bad thing. All you need to do is ensure adequate ventilation.

On the subject of running less number of speakers off the Denon, well its not really shutting off the amplifier circuits for the speaker outputs that you are not using. Those circuits are still alive and are likely to be feeding more power to the Atmos speakers. If you observe the specifications of any AV receiver, what they get away with is advertising numbers such as 180 watts @ 8 Ohms, 1 channel driven. All channels driven will end up with less that 30 watts and that is when the whole "Lack of grunt" situation comes up. Its all a marketing ploy with AV Receivers.

Well heating aside, did it bring any change to the sound?

Heating as mentioned by others could be due to various components. I read somewhere that the processors in these receivers generate quite a bit of heat.

If the heating is same irrespective of using built in amps then maybe that's his it is. It's worthwhile if the sound is better with an external amp.

MaSh

Well heating aside, did it bring any change to the sound?

Heating as mentioned by others could be due to various components. I read somewhere that the processors in these receivers generate quite a bit of heat.

If the heating is same irrespective of using built in amps then maybe that's his it is. It's worthwhile if the sound is better with an external amp.

MaSh
Well the only change is with the volume. In Denon I keep the volume at -11 to -13 DB for movies and in pure direct for listening to music -18 to -20 DB. But with the PA I have to keep the volume for movies at -8 or -9 dB. At -10 to -13DB it sounds very low. And. Similarly for music in pure direct I have to keep it at -15 to -18 DB and also in pure direct for songs the Denon 4500 is slightly better. I got This power amp with an intention to use it for surrounds and heights in the future and upgrade to a better quality PA for LCR. Since the movies are played at high volume levels then the AVR the mid punch has improved.

Last edited:
Can you try enabling Eco mode on your AVR and then let us know the results?

I guess ,when avr is on,the regulators(PSU) starts heating up.Even in standby mode,avr becomes warm.lf you turn off some features,like HDMI bypass in standby,heat is lowered.As other said,in echo mode heat will be further less.

But with the PA I have to keep the volume for movies at -8 or -9 dB. At -10 to -13DB it sounds very low.
Sorry please correct me if i am wrong (i am newbie ).Just wondering , with the PA in picture, shouldnt you be getting more power at lower db ? like -18 db.
i dont use a PA in my set up, sound is very loud at -25 db . . So i thought if i install one , i dont have to crank up the volume .

Sorry please correct me if i am wrong (i am newbie ).Just wondering , with the PA in picture, shouldnt you be getting more power at lower db ? like -18 db.
i dont use a PA in my set up, sound is very loud at -25 db . . So i thought if i install one , i dont have to crank up the volume .
I don’t think that is the case. The more volume you increase the more power the PA will push to the speakers or that is the case in this model. It is an old basic 100 Watt PA, may be the latest and more powerful PA will push a lot of power even in lower volumes.

I guess ,when avr is on,the regulators(PSU) starts heating up.Even in standby mode,avr becomes warm.lf you turn off some features,like HDMI bypass in standby,heat is lowered.As other said,in echo mode heat will be further less.
I already have all the Hdmi features turned off. Yet to try eco mode.

My avr heats up the same level while I was using all 7 channels before I got the power amp and to my surprise the power amp doesn’t heat much as the avr.

Same is with my Denon AVR and power amp too.. I use 5 channels of external amplification and 2 channels powered by AVR.. The heat is almost the same when the AVR powered all 7 channels..

My brother has Onkyo TX -RZ 730 in a 7.2.4 set-up.. All 11 channels are externally amplified, AVR is used as a pre-map here.. But even then AVR gets hot..

As long as AVR is well ventilated, then shouldn't be an issue..

We have already assigned the channels for the inbuilt power amplifier in the avr so my wild guess is that the avr still utilises the power amplifier for all the channels.

Yes.. For whatever channels AVR powers.. In your case, 2 height channels..

Decoder and power management ICs do heat up quite a bit.
Unlike power stage transistors, they don't have dedicated heatsinks.
They rely on the PCB ground plane to dissipate heat.
Do AVRs have the capability to know whether a speaker load is present or not?
Maybe, maybe not.
Keep the unit in an adequately ventilated area.
Cheers,
Raghu

Decoder and power management ICs do heat up quite a bit.
Unlike power stage transistors, they don't have dedicated heatsinks.
They rely on the PCB ground plane to dissipate heat.
Do AVRs have the capability to know whether a speaker load is present or not?
Maybe, maybe not.
Keep the unit in an adequately ventilated area.
Cheers,
Raghu
I keep the avr open and also directly facing the ac. Not complaining just sharing my observation.

Well this is a common explanation or saying by many FM’s and also in other portals. I recently got an used 5 channel Power amp. I currently have a 5.1.2 set up. My LCR and surrounds are connected to power amp and only the atmos speakers are driven by the Denon 4500. My avr heats up the same level while I was using all 7 channels before I got the power amp and to my surprise the power amp doesn’t heat much as the avr. What’s more surprising is when I use pure direct and listen in stereo mode also it heats up a lot and the power amp remains less hot. I find it funny cause it’s the PA that’s powering the speakers and the avr ends up getting very hot. So when using pre-outs what actually happens in the avr? We have already assigned the channels for the inbuilt power amplifier in the avr so my wild guess is that the avr still utilises the power amplifier for all the channels.

Check audioholic review of marantz sr8012, in that he explained a little how all internal circuitry keep working while runing preout power amp.
At 10.30

Same is with my Denon AVR and power amp too.. I use 5 channels of external amplification and 2 channels powered by AVR..

Added an other power amp to my set-up now.. One power amp doing the duty for L-C-R and the other one doing pair of Surrounds & heights..

The AVR wasn't powering any speaker, (used as pre-amp only) was surprised to find that my Denon runs a bit cooler now than when i had only one power amp in the chain..

Check audioholic review of marantz sr8012, in that he explained a little how all internal circuitry keep working while runing preout power amp.
At 10.30
Have seen this video before.
Added an other power amp to my set-up now.. One power amp doing the duty for L-C-R and the other one doing pair of Surrounds & heights..

The AVR wasn't powering any speaker, (used as pre-amp only) was surprised to find that my Denon runs a bit cooler now than when i had only one power amp in the chain..
Oh what PA you got?

Heating is quite common in AVR .I feel this heating is based on the AVR Hardware design (Either with PA or not.)
In my case Earlier I was using Denon which runs warm, now a Marantz SR8012 AVR which heats up more comparatively.
After adding PA ,this Marantz take care of just 4 heights channel ,even though it's heats up more( even in AC Room). So I'm using a Laptop cooler master fan to take care of this.
It's even better if u r using an AC Infinity cooler fan T9 or T10 type model based on ur need.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back