This USB only DAC uses 1543 chip

Great timing: I just came from reading NwAvGuy.

Perhaps it would be interesting to shut him and the CAD man in a room together and see who comes out :lol:

I bet both will end up fighting that his DAC is the best.:rolleyes:

May be we should also push in a couple of audiophiles along. ;)

Thats Dangerous ! they will both come out , with their DACs priced 5 times more, with cast aluminium casings and 3 reviews popping up in audio magazines ending with a shootout where both are declared winners depending on system and "taste"

Thats Dangerous ! they will both come out , with their DACs priced 5 times more, with cast aluminium casings and 3 reviews popping up in audio magazines ending with a shootout where both are declared winners depending on system and "taste"

That is likely to happen if we push in the likes of Sam Tellig and Jonathan Valin et al along. ;) They must be genuine audiophiles from a neutral country, preferably from 3rd world to minimise chances / allegations of bias.:cool:

It's very costly.
I'd guessed ;)

But doubtless, there are two sides to that. Most well-built, good-looking gear is very costly, and at least some of that is justified by the physical qualities. Also, this is a market in which some people decide their budget before they even listen. Just as certain names are popular on the cabinet, the price tag is also a part of the presentation. I can say that because I recognise the tendency in myself :eek:

some people decide their budget before they even listen.

I agree and I see nothing wrong in deciding a budget before I have heard equipment that i want to buy.

For example if I have a DAC priced at Rs 10,000 and want significantly better sound, I will probably set aside a budget of Rs 20,000 for a better DAC.

Another Example, i may set aside a budget of Rs 10 lakhs for a Car and then go out comparing Cars priced from rs 8 lakhs to Rs 10 lakhs and THEN decide the car that i will finally buy. Nothing wrong with that either.... :cool:

Last edited:
It makes certain assumptions about the implication of price. Some of them are inescapably true, eg we don't expect to get real leather seats in an M800. Others are more to do with our psychology: the paper on blind testing speakers by the JBL engineering guy is good on that.

In terms of current personal aims, I looked around at what is available, found certain features that I want, and found that these things are going to come within a certain budget. I think that is practical and fair enough. On the other hand, if I am adding/replacing a hifi component, I am uncomfortable with something that is cheaper than what I have already: much (ok not all) of that is psychology.

Coming back to this DAC...

I saw Rajesh's link after just having read the following from NwAvGuy...

NO SNAKE OIL REQUIRED: Many audiophiles want to believe more elaborate or exotic DACs offer higher fidelity. The ODAC demonstrates you do NOT need any of these for 100% transparent performance:

Asynchronous USB
UAC2 (USB Audio Class 2) Support
Asynchronous Sample Rate Conversion (ASRC),
Minimum Phase Filtering (no pre-ringing)
Non-oversampling NOS DAC chips
Dual DAC chips
Balanced Outputs
Vacuum Tube Stages
Elaborate and/or High Current Power Supplies

Now, both of these DAC designers are engineers, both have produced a device with certain achievements and performance. Yet they have opposing views on several issues. Oh well, I suppose it makes the world a more interesting place for the rest of us!

From another thread

Acrylic Chassis[As per designer it helps in reducing chassis field, new unknown invention], Obsolete End of lifetime chip TDA1543 which is no longer in production, Horrible PCB layout with respect to high speed digital circuitry on board.

Designer boasts Parallel connected DAC chips with no reclocking, no upsampling, no jitter reduction because of NON OVER SAMPLING , just pure old is gold thing for 6900 Sterling Pounds.:clapping:

Surely after buying it the audiophile buyer will get a "doctrate" among his circles.

Who said people with "Golden ears " are not rich:p

The heart of the DAC is available right in our own back yard :D
TDA1543 Original supply, US $ 1-2 , [PHILIPS] Philips Electronics India Limited, TDA1543 Supplier - SeekIC.com

I thought of a car in 6 lakh budget and ended up buying a 15 lakh car

Ha Ha Ha, same here! Was looking at Cruz but ended up buying Laura Elegance A/T. After test ride (around 50 km in Pune), was sold for it..... lol.

Thx & Rgds,

Amit

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back