Thorens TD 121

kuruvilajacob

My first big buy Turntable was a mint Garrard 301 with SME 3012 from Mumbai. Ever since then, I was on the look out for a Thorens TD 124 because many who have both swear that the TD 124 is a must for a vintage Turntable collector. I had tried very hard to get one but almost gave up on it as there are very few for sale. Recently, I was offered one TD 121 which is in all respects a TD 124 except that it has only 33.3 rpm speed and it came with a 110 volt transformer and 160 Hertz cycle. The transformer was changed but the 60 hertz was still an issue. In the TD 124, the hertz could be changed by inserting the pulley upside down. This provision is not on the TD 121. The options available were limited. Get a new pulley made or alter existing pulley. The other option was to adjust the magnet to run at 33.33rpm. Since the latter was not the correct way to do it as the magnet was there only for fine tuning the speed. Also, I thought the
strain on the motor will be more . A brilliant idea solved the problem. The pulley was a step pulley type and by adjusting the height of the pulley, the correct speed could be achieved though the company did not design it like that. I have to get new arm board made for it but for the time being I am using a Jelco arm on an arm pod. Let me tell you that it is really an awesome turntable. The bass that it is able to generate is unbelievable. I was under the impression that I had covered every corner with bass traps . I have to reinforce them to play some records with deep low bass. Especially well pressed Jazz records of the 50's and 60's. Overall, it's performance is second to none. Fortunately, this TT has hardly been and the plinth was supplied by Schoppers, Switzerland and the most significant feature of this TT is that it is the quietest of all my turntables and hence the amazing reproduction and ability to dig out the low frequencies. Highly recommended if anyone get hold of one.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back