Thoughts about Genelec

Sandesh

Greetings guys,
As some of you may know, I have been running around auditioning speakers for my place, I went to the Genelec experience twice ( at two separate places in Bangalore) and I was stunned at the sound that these small tiny speakers (GM1) put forth. It felt to me like a different league altogether! I would really like to know the pros and cons about having active speakers as I am very new to this concept and also would like to know your thoughts about it.

Greetings guys,
As some of you may know, I have been running around auditioning speakers for my place, I went to the Genelec experience twice ( at two separate places in Bangalore) and I was stunned at the sound that these small tiny speakers (GM1) put forth. It felt to me like a different league altogether! I would really like to know the pros and cons about having active speakers as I am very new to this concept and also would like to know your thoughts about it.
I believe our FM @prateekatasniya can pitch in with suggestions

I have never heard active speakers. But Genelec have good name. And if they sound good to you they can definately be used in home environment. You will sometimes need subwoofer though. I am also not expert on speakers but pros and cons would be ..

they would probably require two power cord outlet Would require nearfield listening. but advantages are

they would have great linearity (fq. response) would have active crossover means different drivers amplified by different amplifier would be having good impedance control. and at crossover point would be good matching impulse and phase response. In short they (two drivers ) would gell well as per my limited understanding. Besides these you would have compact no hasstle simple music system. I heard if balanced interconnects are used the performance also increase. The regular passive system and amplifier would require carefull matching, cables, etc. Take a home listen and decide.
Regards

I have never heard active speakers. But Genelec have good name. And if they sound good to you they can definately be used in home environment. You will sometimes need subwoofer though. I am also not expert on speakers but pros and cons would be ..

they would probably require two power cord outlet Would require nearfield listening. but advantages are

they would have great linearity (fq. response) would have active crossover means different drivers amplified by different amplifier would be having good impedance control. and at crossover point would be good matching impulse and phase response. In short they (two drivers ) would gell well as per my limited understanding. Besides these you would have compact no hasstle simple music system. I heard if balanced interconnects are used the performance also increase. The regular passive system and amplifier would require carefull matching, cables, etc. Take a home listen and decide.
Regards
I do have a subwoofer, but they sound great even with out it. I tried it without a Dac attached also...Found it does'nt colour the original sound

I am no expert in audio domain but can say that active speakers come with some facilities. Since those are plug and play rigs, one doesn't require to bother over some technical matters that separate amplifier and speakers need. The SQ of the active speakers is also good . I have been using a pair of active towers with my TT and I am pleased with what I have. Though I have thought of upgrading, I hesitate to do so. Because I fear that the new rig may not sound as sweet as the existing speakers to my ear.

Greetings guys,

Hi Sandesh,

I have heard the Genelec( Book shelf ) speakers at Famous studio's & Bandwagon sound studio's in Mumbai. Both the studio's have Dynaudio's too. Genelec's are very good with a big sound stage for their size & I could not make out any distortion at high volumes. But for my tastes I found them bright with listening fatigue creeping in after a few minutes.
The Dynaudio's were big ones as compared to the Genelec's so not a fair comparison. But the sound was very relaxing & warm. But some one else with a different taste will like them. You may need to be careful with what you pair them with. Other users owning them may able to contribute more.

Last edited:
Greetings guys,
Hi
I have been using genelec 8040b and 7060b(2.1) since 4 years.

You are right..
They are phenomenal!
The speakers itself can go down to 35hz in my room ( 16x 13).
Adding subwoofer frees the speaker from producing the power demanding low frequency which helps further increase the SPL.

Reason to choose genelecs
Bi-amp.( Class AB)
Tone controls. ( Have option to tune the sound as per the listeners preference)
Superb off axis response ( very few companies share the off axis response) this helps creat unbelievable sound stage.
Active speaker means no issues of searching for a matching amp like for passive speakers.
Price- they are value for money even at these prices.
Longevity and 5 years warranty.
Excellent service.

Cons
Not a right product for very high SPL demands. ( For reference level Cinema sound).
Looks ( mixed response on how it looks).
Needs power supply and signal cable.

Hi Sandesh,

I have heard the Genelec( Book shelf ) speakers at Famous studio's & Bandwagon sound studio's in Mumbai. Both the studio's have Dynaudio's too. Genelec's are very good with a big sound stage for their size & I could not make out any distortion at high volumes. But for my tastes I found them bright with listening fatigue creeping in after a few minutes.
The Dynaudio's were big ones as compared to the Genelec's so not a fair comparison. But the sound was very relaxing & warm. But some one else with a different taste will like them. You may need to be careful with what you pair them with. Other users owning them may able to contribute more.
There's treble tilt dip switches at the back of the speakers.
I have been using since 4 years..
They will sound bright if it is not setup properly.

I have heard the small Genelecs in a FMs place in Chennai. He has 5 of them and uses these for both HT as well as 2-channel music.
I liked what I heard.

Hi
I have been using genelec 8040b and 7060b(2.1) since 4 years.

You are right..
They are phenomenal!
The speakers itself can go down to 35hz in my room ( 16x 13).
Adding subwoofer frees the speaker from producing the power demanding low frequency which helps further increase the SPL.

Reason to choose genelecs
Bi-amp.( Class AB)
Tone controls. ( Have option to tune the sound as per the listeners preference)
Superb off axis response ( very few companies share the off axis response) this helps creat unbelievable sound stage.
Active speaker means no issues of searching for a matching amp like for passive speakers.
Price- they are value for money even at these prices.
Longevity and 5 years warranty.
Excellent service.

Cons
Not a right product for very high SPL demands. ( For reference level Cinema sound).
Looks ( mixed response on how it looks).
Needs power supply and signal cable.
@prateekatasniya thoughts about the GM1? Also how do they pair with other subs? It might be too much for me to thinking of getting a sub too at this moment.

There's treble tilt dip switches at the back of the speakers.
I have been using since 4 years..
They will sound bright if it is not setup properly.

I guess the Genelec bookshelves I heard were the powered ones at both the sound studios. Assuming the sound engineers are aware of the treble tilt switch since high end recording takes place over there.

I guess the Genelec bookshelves I heard were the powered ones at both the sound studios. Assuming the sound engineers are aware of the treble tilt switch since high end recording takes place over there.
Sometimes Sound engineers keep it brighter so that when listened the mixed music on regular HiFi speakers etc the song sounds warmer( cleaner)..

We generally see a studio guy listening to several sets of speakers while mixing a song.

@prateekatasniya thoughts about the GM1? Also how do they pair with other subs? It might be too much for me to thinking of getting a sub too at this moment.
Presently my genelecs are paired with my custom 18" sealed subwoofer.
Sounds awesome.. all depends on the skill of the integrator..
Even with genelec subs the integration should be done by a skilled person..
Actually with any Subwoofer integration is crucial..

Genelec G series is nothing but 8000 series with different color and RCA input..
Xlr to RCA cables can be bought instead of spending extra on the G series if looks isn't a criteria.

Presently my genelecs are paired with my custom 18" sealed subwoofer.
Sounds awesome.. all depends on the skill of the integrator..
Even with genelec subs the integration should be done by a skilled person..
Actually with any Subwoofer integration is crucial..

Genelec G series is nothing but 8000 series with different color and RCA input..
Xlr to RCA cables can be bought instead of spending extra on the G series if looks isn't a criteria.
These guys come home and calibrate the stuff and help with the set up, so that's one great thing!

i have 8030+ 7060b (2.1) combo since 7 yrs.. yes, it is true your ears will get tired easily listening to these, depending on DAC, music source quality, dip switches, room treatment etc.
however, i have not yet needed to change/upgrade since these are soooo good. you wont be able to switch to other speakers/amp easily after using these. u can use w/o sub as of now, and buy a sub later.

Active if done correctly should outperform passive setups if absolute transparency is the goal . But then you might lose some flexibility that audiophiles crave. Also, active done right is not at all cheap unless you are into high end diy.

There are some fundamental differences between active and powered speakers. Many manufacturers have inappropriately marketed their powered speakers as active ones. Listen to this video here to understand the differences.

Genelecs are good.

Last edited:
Have heard the G series (G1/2/3/4)
These are similar to the 8000 series.
They sound brilliant.
(Advice : Be warned do not audition these gems....bcoz once you have heard these your existing system will not sound as good as you thought it was :) )

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back