THX Certification

sreejithsreedharan

Hi All,

Just wanted to know more on THX Certification.
Googled it and got some information but wanted to know the opinion from you all. Are they really valid? Or just a marketing gimmick.
For example, Parasound new classic 2125 V2 amp has THX certification. And are they really good for the certification.

Thanks,

Sreejith

THX certification should not be the criteria to buy a product.
Like for this product power output, sensitivity and a few other standards meet THX criteria.
Many other products can meet the THX criteria but companies have to pay for the certification.
And many other products without certification can be better than the certified ones.

So in general if a product meets THX criteria- will it be a good product in overall performance or is it since they have paid, they got the certification.

So in general if a product meets THX criteria- will it be a good product in overall performance or is it since they have paid, they got the certification.

It's a bunch of scientific tests formulated to evaluate quality for the class of product in question (amplifiers, AVRs, loudspeakers etc.). So no, you can't just pay to get the certification.

IMO, it is highly likely that the tests are valid and useful to assess product quality. HST, the cost of certification will pretty much be borne by the buyer. So, conclusions of quality based on THX certification vs not are likely to be suspect.

I will also add that I've not looked for the "THX certified" label when purchasing any of my AV equipment.

It's a bunch of scientific tests formulated to evaluate quality for the class of product in question (amplifiers, AVRs, loudspeakers etc.). So no, you can't just pay to get the certification.

IMO, it is highly likely that the tests are valid and useful to assess product quality. HST, the cost of certification will pretty much be borne by the buyer. So, conclusions of quality based on THX certification vs not are likely to be suspect.

I will also add that I've not looked for the "THX certified" label when purchasing any of my AV equipment.
Ok- so in general, there s n’t any added value with that certification. And It must not be a criteria while considering a product.

THX is a quality Assurance program for gears, based on set of parameters; Since it was based in USA, the US manufacturers took the initiative to get their gears certified. You don't find many European brands with THX certification, that doesn't mean they lack in quality by any means; many gears actually exceeded THX certification requirements , but didn't bother to get them certified. Ultimately it was seen as a someone trying to exercise a sort of control with a iron hand & with own business interests.
I feel these kind of certifications should not be a private company owned ; instead managed by a prestigious electronic or Sound research institution (like MIT, Standford etc), without a private equity interests.
Company was finally Sold to ( Well You Can Guess ) a Chinese Conglomerate RAZER in 2016 & Continues to be under the same Group.
From Indian perspective its a Chinese THX Certification now (Pun unintended). Read it HERE

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back