Titles to Members - PLS READ

Do we need TITLES or Reputation Count is good enough?

• Yes for Title

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No for Title

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

madbullram

I know the topic might be confusing. But this is something I have been hearing from members in the past also. Lot of people seem to like an addition of Title below their names like Newbie, Member, Senior Member, etc.

The idea is that it gives credibility to a member and also helps newbies identify seniors in the forum.

My view is that, I really don't subscribe to it. The reason is simple, a Member's quality is not determined by the number of post (Quantity) but the quality of response. I think the Reputation column is a superb representation of the Member's value rather than adding titles like Newbie etc based on post counts. Just because I have 700+ posts doesn't mean I more qualified than someone who has only 100 posts but has 20 years of experience :)

Having said that, these titles seem to motivate people and be active in the forum which is the sole reason why many forums adopt this strategy and also as a reward for them spending so much time. Being a democratic forum :clapping: lets decide this together:)

So my question:

Do you want titles below the members to be enabled or do you think reputation is the real measure?

please vote. I will run this for 2 weeks after which we will decide on this. If the members vote for yes, then the Titles will be enabled based on the post count

P.S: Sorry for the long post, apart from voting, please also suggest what titles can be given along with post counts:
0 - 100 - Newbie
101 - 200 - Member
201 to 500 - Senior Member etc

Last edited:
Hi,

My view is that, I really don't subscribe to it. The reason is simple, a Member's quality is not determined by the number of post (Quantity) but the quality of response. I think the Reputation column is a superb representation of the Member's value rather than adding titles like Newbie etc based on post counts. Just because I have 700+ posts doesn't mean I more qualified than someone who has only 100 posts but has 20 years of experience

Although I agree with you on the title thing Am not in agreement with you on the Reputation !! Before the reputation thing came posts were of some quality (whatever that some refers to ) after that things changed drastically and posts started to degrade ( not completely,but to some extent ) !! Also with introduction of that reputation people started calling themselves as Senior member,Senior Advisor,Senior this and Senior that etc.....

So according to me this should not be implemented and the things should be left as they are now !!

Having said that, these titles seem to motivate people and be active in the forum which is the sole reason why many forums adopt this strategy and also as a reward for them spending so much time.

Well like I said if you were to reward a person for being most active and such, then need I remind the recent episode ?? should one call that active ?? or should one rewarded for such things ??

I mean no disrespect to anyone but I think we should do things to improve on the quality of the posts rather then pamper the members with such unwanted things !!

Regards.

Soundsgreat:
I understand your point but Reputation is not increased with post count rather increases when someone thanks for you post. For me, that is first sign that one has been useful. I dont agree that after reputation has come quality of posts have degraded.

In a forum like ours, there will always be conflicts, problems etc. All I am trying to do is hear everyone out. If all thinks the same you and votes no, off course I will remove it.

Same time, I am really open to hear how we can improve quality of posts constructively. Do post it and I assure you I will do all I can :)

Last edited:
I voted against. If you want to use titles, use non-ranking titles instead of ranking titles (for example, "I'm new here" rather than "Newbie", or "regular contributor" rather than "senior member"). however, it's best if there are no titles at all.

I'm also against the rep system, in principle. I know that's not the question here, but I'll get on the soapbox anyway.

Thanks and reps are not the same. Thanking someone is a gesture, whereas a rep system is a 'grade'. The (IMO) best forum in the world has to be DIYA, and none of these systems exist there, but is still frequented by mammoths like John Curl, Nelson Pass, Bob Cordell and Douglas Self, to name a few.

'Reputation' is always a silent quantity. It's nice to have badges proclaiming it, but the best communities instinctively know who to ask and what weight to attach to answers from particular individuals. Ideally, every time I post a question and get an answer, I should be able to evaluate the answer on its own merit. Having a rep/post count/title there forces me to weight the answer with those metrics as well, and that is plain wrong. Even on the best days, some of the experienced folk do get it wrong.

No fair! This was everything I would have said.

Having said that I am in agreement with madbullram that the 'thanks' are indeed more precious than reputations. However, that is true only when the 'thanks' are used when there is a useful post made rather than as a general courtesy. Not that I am against courtesy, but only that this way the 'thanks' may not mean what they might indicate.

If at all a 'title' system is to be introduced I would love to keep it informal rather than having it as something which indicates forum standing. Something like 'DIYGuru' for Cranky or 'WDTVGuru' for madbullram and so on so forth. With this system, members might themselves come up with titles. This might even make the forum more interactive for a while. More than usual, that is.

We could make it a suggestion that the title have something to do with our common pursuit - Hifi. Otherwise we might end up with quite a lot of irrelevance.

To keep things simple however, I voted against.

Last edited:
Based on activity .... 'favorite member' for a month can be
a good initiative.

I think informal titles like buzybee,buddy,watcher..
..reviewed time to time, based on several factors viz popularity,useful posts,thanks,depth of knowledge,
activity can be added.

directly adding 'senior', 'expert' etc will demotivate people:)

Well nothing wrong with titles as new members can be aware of seniors & may not have any unnecessary arguements.It can help to respect eachother.
Only thing,how to give rating?It should be with quality of post & not quantity.
Well even "Thanks" can not be considered as reputation always as sometimes it is used even for very simple reason.

No fair! This was everything I would have said.

Having said that I am in agreement with madbullram that the 'thanks' are indeed more precious than reputations. However, that is true only when the 'thanks' are used when there is a useful post made rather than as a general courtesy. Not that I am against courtesy, but only that this way the 'thanks' may not mean what they might indicate.

If at all a 'title' system is to be introduced I would love to keep it informal rather than having it as something which indicates forum standing. Something like 'DIYGuru' for Cranky or 'WDTVGuru' for madbullram and so on so forth. With this system, members might themselves come up with titles. This might even make the forum more interactive for a while. More than usual, that is.

We could make it a suggestion that the title have something to do with our common pursuit - Hifi. Otherwise we might end up with quite a lot of irrelevance.

To keep things simple however, I voted against.

Vortex +1 on that !!

I wanted to reply in different way but Cranky you have done it and how :clapping:!! Am in agreement with you word per word basis :eek:hyeah: !! So nothing more to say ;)!!

Vortex to some extent Am ok with your views on thanks !!

Regards.

Vortex +1 on that !!

I wanted to reply in different way but Cranky you have done it and how :clapping:!! Am in agreement with you word per word basis :eek:hyeah: !! So nothing more to say ;)!!

Vortex to some extent Am ok with your views on thanks !!

Regards.

Madbullram, first of all, kudos to you to waste no time in coming up with ideas for hfv.
I voted against. I am definitely against relying on post count for determining seniority! It just leads to race to post mindlessly, irrelevantly. I do agree that some of the most helpful members on this forum also have the most number of posts under their belt.

The Thanks system is slightly better but still not good enough, as members have said in posts before this, people press the thanks button out of courtesy too, even out of happiness!:p

As for stuff like wdtv guru:D, I dont mind, but still its not necessary as people like mbr will be active on those threads anyways. Also in case a member posts such a query and is not answered by the particular experts, someone or the other would direct him or notify the expert. Else people would just pm the expert and be off, and we would not have the discussion in public.

My 2 rupees;)

I vote against - for the same reasons mentioned by the others.

Even reps/thanks are not required.

The motivation to participate should be that itself - the passion to participate to contribute, share ideas, learn ...

I vote against. Just by reading posts of experts, we are able to judge who is knowledgeable and vice versa. If we have to classify, then why not have a feature similar to our thread-rating system where in members can rate the knowledge on their profile page. No need for negative rating. Also, you can make this anonymous if you like. The rating can then be displayed below the member's name.

I would prefer that the Thanks feature continues to exist, but no need for it to be linked to user's profile or reputation.

nothing wrong in having titles as long as its innovative and fun instead of linking it to reputation or post count.
a suggestion would be to have the option of having a title if a member wishes to and to type in the title himself...

P.S :not voting as am not strongly for or against the title requirement

What is the purpose? Where can I flaunt my title/ rep/ status, except this forum? Will these titles encourage newbies to stop search and pm experts directly?
I think after 1000s of posts, I am still a noob.

regards

I have voted against this and I think that for now the reputation thing through "Thank You" is enough and helps a new member whether to follow the advice of another member with better reputation or not.

Then you could be right too in a way, if a new member discovers this forum at a stage when he already has a lot of experience in this field and he could be a real help to this forum, for such a person it would take a lot of time to build a reputation for himself through the above mentioned method.

Hi ram,

I have not voted too as i am not strictly for or against titles. I think, not every member need to have a title. According to your suggestion yours truly (450+ posts) will be given a title 'Senior Member'.If new members start to give PMs to me i will be all at sea to answer them all.:D. Cause my gyan is very limited.

On the other hand members like cranky, venkat, soundsgreat,gobble and yourself, to mention a few, can be given a suitable title for the benefit of new members.The above names i have given as examples only.Others names are there too.:)

cheers,
sri

I voted against, as the number of counts cannot be considered as reputation building tactics.

Whereas I believe this hobby is more of giving rather than taking or keeping to one'sself....so the person who gives >>>will get more thanks even if that was for a general coutsey. No harm in that or at atleast the decorum is also maintained!

--
Bryston + B&W

Hai MBR,

I am against titles. The titles will definitely be based on no of posts, which will never reflect the quality of the posts. But the thanking system may be continued and the reputation system may be followed based on that.

N.Murali

Wishing a happy diwali for all.

Nice views...keep pouring.

titles need not me so formal like newbies etc it can even be fun titles like soldier, commander etc ;)

I voted against. If you want to use titles, use non-ranking titles instead of ranking titles (for example, "I'm new here" rather than "Newbie", or "regular contributor" rather than "senior member"). however, it's best if there are no titles at all.

I'm also against the rep system, in principle. I know that's not the question here, but I'll get on the soapbox anyway.

Thanks and reps are not the same. Thanking someone is a gesture, whereas a rep system is a 'grade'. The (IMO) best forum in the world has to be DIYA, and none of these systems exist there, but is still frequented by mammoths like John Curl, Nelson Pass, Bob Cordell and Douglas Self, to name a few.

'Reputation' is always a silent quantity. It's nice to have badges proclaiming it, but the best communities instinctively know who to ask and what weight to attach to answers from particular individuals. Ideally, every time I post a question and get an answer, I should be able to evaluate the answer on its own merit. Having a rep/post count/title there forces me to weight the answer with those metrics as well, and that is plain wrong. Even on the best days, some of the experienced folk do get it wrong.

I voted against.
Totally in agreement with Cranky word for word. Nothing much to add there.

Back