To all Roon lovers..why do you love it?

newlash09

Hi all.

I must admit I tried roon, expecting to be blown away. But that hasn't happened. I don't see any improvements in sound quality when feeding my chord dac via the Yamaha wxc50. The library management is not to my taste. I had a very carefully curated folder structure on my Nas. And roon takes it and runs its own background algorithm to analyse the wave form, and now my tracks are split all over the place in genres,. Albums and tracks. Iam not liking what iam seeing so far. My umik-1 is arriving mid June, so will try digital room correction once it comes. But I'd like to know if iam missing something here, because roon gets universal praise. And as a disclaimer, most of my tracks are local desi ones. Thanks for any guidance indeed :)

most of my tracks are local desi ones

The QunicyJones or the Pitbull versions :)

Roon sounded better than fb2k, Tidalbrowser or iTunes on my setup.

have not spent time on organizing my music beyond folders with CD names and therefore was very content with how Roon organized and made my "collection" (its mostly streaming) look.

I want to hear how it sounds with rock.

I have not tried using the convolution engine but that should be fun to try.

It is free to try and you don't have to like it. But I question whether it is do with the tracks used (I have not had the opportunity to try out the Tidal Hindi tracks that I saw on hfv yet and the ones I have are more or less indifferent quality - which in itself does not mean anything at all)

ciao
gr

I am thinking of getting Rooned soon if its definitely worth it ; Even my files are arranged by way of folders only, and most are Wav / Flac ones. I am facing issues with Wav files to get them organized in a reliable (actually easily recollectible) way. Will Roon help in this case for reorganization of Wav files ?
Most others like Kodi, OSMC on Rpi 3, Media Monkey / Music Bee/ Jriver/iTunes don't deal Wav files well, whereas as they reorganize Flac & Mp3 quite reasonably well. Apparently Wav files don't contain enough Metadata information which is the source of issues.
How well did Roon organize the Wav files in your case?

I am also skeptical about software optimization for SQ which Roon offers, which u realized at your place, I will need to do an AB comparison with Marantz CD player playing Wav via USB vs CPU running Roon. If things go Roon way I will sell my Vinyl Gear and invest in Roon and a better DAC.

I have other issues for getting Rooned as well ;
I have two not in use old Laptops (one C2D, equivalent to i3 3rd Gen with 3gb Ram & other Amd 1.3 with 250gb SSD) I'm afraid the specifications won't be enough to run Roon in an efficient manner. I don't want to buy another CPU and become visibly annoying to my better half.
Another option is
I Can move my i7 CPU ( to keep USB cable to DAC as small as possible) near the hifi gear area in my room, keeping the monitor in desktop area connected to the CPU, anyways I use wireless mouse and keyboard.

Unless and until you enable DSP and components within DSP there is no software optimisation by ROON

You can make your i7 desktop as roon server and make any of the laptops you have as room endpoint

I use a basic AMD dual core as soon server and it upsamples everything to 24/176 without any issues

Hope this helps

Unless and until you enable DSP and components within DSP there is no software optimisation by ROON

You can make your i7 desktop as roon server and make any of the laptops you have as room endpoint

I use a basic AMD dual core as soon server and it upsamples everything to 24/176 without any issues

Hope this helps
Thanks for the inputs.
I have evaluated the Option of Roon End Point, (SOTM would be a better option)You need to keep the Server ON, for running the Endpoint I think and I don't use the desktop quite often nowadays : running both will be added work and Power usage. The desktop has a PCIE slot free, so I was thinking of getting PCIE to Coax converter and there by avoiding the USB totally in the chain.
What kind of Plugins you found useful? are they same as Winamp types ?

Anyways I will be watching this thread closely.

If you listen to music 7 to 8 hours a day then you should worry about power consumption , otherwise for few hours a day it won't be a big deal
If SOTM is in your radar then playing from a desktop is no way near the SOTM

Also SOTM has usb inputs to connect usb storage. So essentially you can play music files stored in usb storage without roon

So with SOTM you have that added flexibility unlike sonore microrendu which is strictly a network audio adapter

The DSP in the roon is not so vast as what you have in foobar or winamp

It has following if I remember correctly.
Headroom management
Upsampling (PCM to PCM and PCM to DSD)
Equalisation
And something to offset the errors when both speakers are not placed in same plane

But I have never used anything other then upsampling and for me SQ is very good. Could be due to various reasons other then roon

I don't see any improvements in sound quality when feeding my chord dac via the Yamaha wxc50.

Can you bypass the Yamaha? What is your connection from the Yamaha to the DAC?
For Roon, I would go straight into the DAC from the Roon Server if possible.

Count me among the early Roon sceptics but I have to say it sounds really good on it's own right.

Regards.

Hi all.

I must admit I tried roon, expecting to be blown away. But that hasn't happened. I don't see any improvements in sound quality when feeding my chord dac via the Yamaha wxc50. The library management is not to my taste. I had a very carefully curated folder structure on my Nas. And roon takes it and runs its own background algorithm to analyse the wave form, and now my tracks are split all over the place in genres,. Albums and tracks. Iam not liking what iam seeing so far. My umik-1 is arriving mid June, so will try digital room correction once it comes. But I'd like to know if iam missing something here, because roon gets universal praise. And as a disclaimer, most of my tracks are local desi ones. Thanks for any guidance indeed :)

I understand what you mean... I ran the Auralic Mini and its built in software segregated all the albums in order of genre. Now I have to hunt them to listen to it. Whereas with Cambridge Audio Cxn, the library shows up in alphabetical order, even though a search option is also provided.

Thanks for the inputs.
I have evaluated the Option of Roon End Point, (SOTM would be a better option)You need to keep the Server ON, for running the Endpoint I think and I don't use the desktop quite often nowadays : running both will be added work and Power usage. The desktop has a PCIE slot free, so I was thinking of getting PCIE to Coax converter and there by avoiding the USB totally in the chain.
What kind of Plugins you found useful? are they same as Winamp types ?

Anyways I will be watching this thread closely.
I'm building a roon rock . have sourced the components. Waiting for the LPS. Who knows it might sound good :)

ciao
gr

What room claims is the magic in integration of their room server software and roon node software or RAAT or whatever it's called
I'm building a roon rock . have sourced the components. Waiting for the LPS. Who knows it might sound good :)

ciao
gr

What all is needed to build a roon rock
And which LPS is it ?

Just curious to know

What room claims is the magic in integration of their room server software and roon node software or RAAT or whatever it's called

What all is needed to build a roon rock
And which LPS is it ?

Just curious to know

1. https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit (I got the 7i5BNH which is not actually on the page, I've also got the fanless case for it)
2. I've ordered the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 18V - 19V Linear Power Supply Upgrade (Black) from hifi heaven. They have asked me to wait as there is a mkII expected. I don't have too much time to wait just another two weeks so fingers crossed)

ciao
gr

Thanks all for your suggestions and feedback.

I have the wxc-50 feeding via optical to the chord dac. And the roon server is connected directly to the same dac via usb. I mostly use raaga and Saavn for my listening. And sometimes tidal if iam in the mood.

Considering that my actual usage of roon won't be much, I am considering cancelling my roon subscription. I might add a mini DSP for room correction later. But I haven't found roon user friendly so far. I only like the roon radio part, which somehow manages to play new music that actually suits my mood. But the fees in my opinion is too much just for that. I also found that I don't like having a pc in the mix. So will go for a dedicated streamer now. Thanks for your suggestions again, but iam just not tech savvy enough to stick with roon as of now.

Hi guys my knowledge of digital music is very limited. I have only used J River and roon and even before i got my Nucleus and the SoTM, Roon won hands down over the J River. Once i added the Nucleus and SoTM ultra along with the sPS 500 the difference was very perceptible even to my ears. I am sure the difference will be evident to your ears considering you are audiophiles who keep experimenting with both the hardware and the software.
Regards
Anand

Guys, a quick note regarding organizing music.

The old school way of organizing files was by folders on your computer and then loading them up and playing in a software player of your choice.

Nowadays most high end software players on pcs and even the ones that comes bundled with hardware players ( streamers ) are metadata based. So, your music will be organized using genre, artist, album information that is contained in your metadata that is stored along with your albums. You wont see your folders. This is actually a good way to organize as long as you have ripped your cds well and preserved the metadata. If you have not done this, many of your albums will not even show up in such software players.

I used to have a lot of such music that were ripped as wave files with zero metadata. You can solve this problem by retagging ( edit metadata ) and saving your albums using softwares like music brainz picard for windows. In the process, all your waves will need to be converted to flac files.

DB power amp is the only cd ripper software I know which adds metadata information even to WAV files

I know it does while ripping cds. But can it do this to existing wave file albums without metadata ?

I think there is one module in the whole package which can do that
Will have to check their website and confirm

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back