To buy or not to buy - A Stereo Amplifier!

sinister

I want to get a stereo amp to drive my power hungry Polk RTi A9's(500W). I like what I am hearing right now(driven by Marantz SR7009 - 125W/channel). Another reason apart from driving the beast is that I want to free up 2 channels from my AVR for driving another pair of in-ceiling atmos speakers(already at 7.1.2 right now). After spending a lot on my HT setup, I am looking for a amp which can be cost effective(~40K). I am getting a quote for Yamaha P3500 for around 45K. Do you guys think this is what I should do, or look for other options?

Please do share your 2 cents!

Regards,
S.

You have a top class AVR..:licklips:

Am slightly confused.. You have a 9.2 AVR and running 7.1.2 already... I didn't get you when you said you want to free up 2 channels from AVR...

Have you bi-amped your RTi A9 speakers using Marantz 7009 AVR ?

You have a top class AVR..:licklips:

Am slightly confused.. You have a 9.2 AVR and running 7.1.2 already... I didn't get you when you said you want to free up 2 channels from AVR...

Have you bi-amped your RTi A9 speakers using Marantz 7009 AVR ?

Thanks Elango! I have not bi-amped it. It is just that I want to make my setup a 7.1.4 from 7.1.2 that I have already. To do that, I want to use the pre-outs and give it to an amp and free up two more channels :)

Thanks Elango! I have not bi-amped it. It is just that I want to make my setup a 7.1.4 from 7.1.2 that I have already. To do that, I want to use the pre-outs and give it to an amp and free up two more channels :)

Ok got it now :) ...The Yamaha amplifier seems to have all the power on earth to run your Rti9 beast....

BTW i think 7.1.4 is a full blown Atmos set-up for home :thumbsup:

not sufficient get a good Multichannel amp your towers are too heavy for what so rated as 125W from Marantz you need min 200 to 250 Power amp not receiver power standard.

300W is even better but you can go with 300W x 2 stereo amplifier and hook it up or use three channel amp for the fronts...

Yamaha amp that you have specified can drive your speakers but cant control and take grip... :) here the model you specified for the yamaha has got distortion of 0.1% which is considerably high for a class AB amp once you crank up your distortion figures will increase to .3% or even higher i would rather suggest look elsewhere.. once the amps get grip over your speakers then it can swing the soundstage the way signal is intended.
Your receiver already has preouts so go with good power amps.

Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest what would be the right product to go for and how much it would cost?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back