To tweak or to upgrade?

Fiftyfifty

Hi

I have personally experienced several instances where a simple tweak, often accidentally stumbled upon, has produced a dramatic improvement in sound. These could be mere speaker placement, diy footers, changes in room set up, etc., leading to a WOW moment. A few hundred rupees have often given me improvements for which I would have otherwise spent lacs. I recently placed a 8mm mattress foam under my carpet with amazing results. Harshness just disappeared. I would have happily bought a room correction unit costing a bomb to get equivalent improvement.
So assuming one knows what improvement he/she is looking for.... tighter bass, rolled off highs, better sound stage depth, focus, dynamics, whatever, does one tweak further, or does one jump to the next upgrade? An upgrade that is not going to sound half as good at home as in the dealer's listening room; or in the reviewer's word picture; or in the fancy product brochures!
What has been your experience? Have you experienced tweaks worth a fortune? Would others benefit? Do share!

Regards

I have experienced same thing with linear power supplies{for digital components} though not cheap, but worth compared to change in expensive electronics. Also reduction in noise floor by treating DC cables by JSSG 360 degree treatment , buying power strip of anchor with EMI/RFI reduction circuit and IFI AC ipurifier....Which saves me thousand of rupees of buying power conditioner also last but not the least well shielded DIY power cables have brought dramatic changes in my system.

Hi

I have personally experienced several instances where a simple tweak, often accidentally stumbled upon, has produced a dramatic improvement in sound. These could be mere speaker placement, diy footers, changes in room set up, etc., leading to a WOW moment. A few hundred rupees have often given me improvements for which I would have otherwise spent lacs. I recently placed a 8mm mattress foam under my carpet with amazing results. Harshness just disappeared. I would have happily bought a room correction unit costing a bomb to get equivalent improvement.
So assuming one knows what improvement he/she is looking for.... tighter bass, rolled off highs, better sound stage depth, focus, dynamics, whatever, does one tweak further, or does one jump to the next upgrade? An upgrade that is not going to sound half as good at home as in the dealer's listening room; or in the reviewer's word picture; or in the fancy product brochures!
What has been your experience? Have you experienced tweaks worth a fortune? Would others benefit? Do share!

Regards

Sir, interested in the foam placing under the carpet...Do you have a thick carpet under which you placed the foam? Also is the carpet made of nylon or cotton? And did you place under the entire carpet or just in the centre? Do share pictures of your living room with the carpet placement...

I have experienced same thing with linear power supplies{for digital components} though not cheap, but worth compared to change in expensive electronics. Also reduction in noise floor by treating DC cables by JSSG 360 degree treatment , buying power strip of anchor with EMI/RFI reduction circuit and IFI AC ipurifier....Which saves me thousand of rupees of buying power conditioner also last but not the least well shielded DIY power cables have brought dramatic changes in my system.

I also bought an APC power strip with EMI/RFI filtering but no effect on my system even though my power supply is our area is horrible.. Thankfully that experiment saved me some 30,000 rupees as I was quite keen on buying a Furutech power cable...

I also bought an APC power strip with EMI/RFI filtering but no effect on my system even though my power supply is our area is horrible.. Thankfully that experiment saved me some 30,000 rupees as I was quite keen on buying a Furutech power cable...
When you have room correction software at play...You won't easily recognize the improvement easily...Those who harp on purist method would experience easily....It's totally my guess...

Sir, interested in the foam placing under the carpet...Do you have a thick carpet under which you placed the foam? Also is the carpet made of nylon or cotton? And did you place under the entire carpet or just in the centre? Do share pictures of your living room with the carpet placement...

Panditji, I had an issue with midrange harshness. Maybe at my age (65), my ears do not hear the higher frequencies and my brain over-compensates by boosting these frequencies, making them sound harsh :).
I first placed 4' x2' foam panels at the first reflection points, with no effect. Then I moved these to the rear wall directly in front of the speakers - no effect. I placed them on the floor over the carpet, threw a whole lot of cushions on the floor between the speakers and listening position, placed a guitar in the room - no effect. I was passing by a mattress foam shop and paid about Rs.600 for 7 sheets of 8mm foam. I first placed one layer of these foam sheets under the 9' x 7' synthetic carpet (the fawn coloured one in the picture). There was considerable reduction in harshness. So I increased it to 2 layers. Harshness has gone completely, but so has some of the high end sparkle. Bass is strong and balanced ( I don't like the term tight bass). I plan to introduce some glass to bring in a bit of high frequency ringing. I have covered the entire area under the carpet, not just the centre. In the centre is another synthetic carpet (the red one) without any additional foam. I have moved the centre table away.
Now I don't understand what works and why. I guess your Lyngdorf room correction would compensate for any changes you may make to the room, so you hear what Lyngdorf wants you to hear, which is obviously very good.
Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20180819_213852.jpg
    IMG_20180819_213852.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 43

I use a Furman power conditioner, dunno if it makes a difference. The magnetic decoupling footers muffled the sound and the PS Audio LanRover has limited impact. Sometimes one thinks of the amount spent and psyches oneself into believing. Is good!

Panditji, I had an issue with midrange harshness. Maybe at my age (65), my ears do not hear the higher frequencies and my brain over-compensates by boosting these frequencies, making them sound harsh :).
I first placed 4' x2' foam panels at the first reflection points, with no effect. Then I moved these to the rear wall directly in front of the speakers - no effect. I placed them on the floor over the carpet, threw a whole lot of cushions on the floor between the speakers and listening position, placed a guitar in the room - no effect. I was passing by a mattress foam shop and paid about Rs.600 for 7 sheets of 8mm foam. I first placed one layer of these foam sheets under the 9' x 7' synthetic carpet (the fawn coloured one in the picture). There was considerable reduction in harshness. So I increased it to 2 layers. Harshness has gone completely, but so has some of the high end sparkle. Bass is strong and balanced ( I don't like the term tight bass). I plan to introduce some glass to bring in a bit of high frequency ringing. I have covered the entire area under the carpet, not just the centre. In the centre is another synthetic carpet (the red one) without any additional foam. I have moved the centre table away.
Now I don't understand what works and why. I guess your Lyngdorf room correction would compensate for any changes you may make to the room, so you hear what Lyngdorf wants you to hear, which is obviously very good.
Regards

Watch out for what you gain
Watch out for what you lose
For if you don't understand
This can cook your goose

Just kidding :))

Sometimes I feel while hunting for suitable electronic or any other components for your rig...only one song comes to my mind ... everywhere from fleetwood Mac

Sorry for this drift..let others continue with relevant discussion

Panditji

I differ but in a different way..

But that will digress from the thread

So if you invite me for coffee at your place and give me the pleasure of experiencing your setup... Maybe I can explain further..

:))

Panditji

I differ but in a different way..

But that will digress from the thread

So if you invite me for coffee at your place and give me the pleasure of experiencing your setup... Maybe I can explain further..

:))

Mahesh, you have an open invitation... Still waiting as you had promised years ago to visit...

Will do this time as an coming to FBD side on work. Will PM.

Fiftyfifty...sorry.. Will take this offline..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back