toe-in or toe -out?

manu4panjab

hey bros.

should we place our speakers in toe-in or toe-out position for best imaging

is there any specific limit for toe-in or toe-out or any other methods

Hello,
I don't know about this toe- in thing. Is it the rotation of a speaker with respect to z axis if we assume x and y axis are in the plane on which speaker stands.
Thnaks.

Hello
Just imagine a right angle horizontally at the base and estimate 5 degrees off the straight line. No need for a z axis in the picture :)

cheers

I have mentioned this before, but one of the easiest method is to draw a point exactly 5 feet behind your sweet spot. Then angle the speakers towards that point, the two speakers forming two points, and the draw point a third point of a triangle. You can use imaginary lines, or use a helping hand to hold a long tight rope.

Cheers

I have mentioned this before, but one of the easiest method is to draw a point exactly 5 feet behind your sweet spot. Then angle the speakers towards that point, the two speakers forming two points, and the draw point a third point of a triangle. You can use imaginary lines, or use a helping hand to hold a long tight rope.

Cheers

i'll try this method

you have to make sure you start to measure from the mid point of where your TV/screen is and mark the spot 3 or 5 ft behind you as Venkat noted (place a tennis ball at the point) Then do what Venkat told you. YOu can also use a removable tape to measure the triangle

you have to make sure you start to measure from the mid point of where your TV/screen is and mark the spot 3 or 5 ft behind you as Venkat noted (place a tennis ball at the point) Then do what Venkat told you. YOu can also use a removable tape to measure the triangle

thanks brother :)

My sofa is against a rear wall and don't have any space behind me for the sound to image or converge behind my head. I tried keeping my RS6 straight and very little toe in, still the sound went and hit the rear wall more, never created a soundstage or image between me and the speakers - this sound i didn't like, but the sound was huge and i was not comfortable. Distance from side walls to speakers are more than 10 feet, and speakers are 10 feet apart.

After much experimenting, moving in and out the speakers all the time, I finally with frustration toed-in my speakers extremely, almost both speakers facing each other, so when i sit in the center, i could well see 90% of the sides of both speakers, i guess it's 90 degrees that Cranky was talking about. The results were stunning, the speakers imaged splendidly, one foot in front of me, and the sound was always in the center between me and the speakers. The vocals were dead center with other instruments always at the background making the listen more pleasure than before. As Cranky said, i have a three-seater sofa in front, so wherever i sit, the sound was always between me and the speakers, i really love this sound.

By doing the above extreme toe-in, i found out that the sound was not at all good once i break from the triangle, say, i move to another room or wander around listnening to music. It's damn good once i step into that zone, interesting.

I would request anyone not satisfied with the SQ of their setup, to experiment extensively, you might find the grail, sort of atleast.

[IMO]
:)

Last edited:
Crank, a really wild thought. If the two speakers face each other, would they not cancel out the stereophonic effect, and send a mono signal to the sweet spot? Could the person sitting near or at the sweet spot consider this to be good not realising that he is listening to a forced mono signal? Unless of course, he is sitting between the two speakers?

This way of placing speakers sounds a little odd to me.

Cheers

hey bros.

just use laser pointer i put it on the speakers top and i rotate them to where my shoulders are(i mark both shoulders point on my sofa with the help of my wife) ,coz i sit very close to wall so i can't go beyond 3 or 5 feet far so i use my shoulders and point both speakers tweeter there and wow
great depth, wide soundstage more clarity in highs and now i can easily hear what Micheal Jackson sings when playing in stereo mode which is quite difficult before without any toe-in

i hope the method works for you all too :)

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back