Tonearm for LP12

Sunderpalanivel

Hi Guys,

My LP12 currently has Linn Basik Plus tone arm. I am looking at upgrading the tonearm so that I can use some nice MC cartridge (Even now I use AT OC9 MC). Could someone suggest me what would be a meaningful tonearm upgrade. Naim Aro and Linn Ekos are very expensive, and Linn Aro is discontinued. I am not too keen to modify the TT for setting the tonearm, so some thing that is made for LP12 will be good I guess.

Vinyl Gurus please help me :eek:hyeah:

Thanks,
Sunder

Hi Sunder,
Since you have not given any budget, here are my thoughts for a thousand-ish dollars, give or take a few hundreds:

a) Origin Live OL1 - this is nothing but the Rega RB 251 fully modified by OL. More info here. You can ignore "External linear flow 2 - 1.2 meters (high value)" and "DJ External Rewire 2m". This mods is supposed to take the humble Rega RB 251 to the level of a Rega RB 700.

b) Rega RB 1000 or one of the OEM RB 1000 sold by folks like Moth at a much cheaper cost than the Rega one. Like this.

c) Origin Live Onyx or Silver are also very attractive options.

d) Jelco 750 arm with oil damping is another good option. See here. Cost is quite reasonable given their expertise, experience and the build quality.

All the above arms will handle heavy, low compliance MC cartridges.

As you said, Naim Aro is too pricey. If one has such budget, then one can spend a thousand more and plonk one's money into a Graham Phantom or something similar.

Do stay glued to audiogon, vinylengine, lencoheaven.net and of course good old fleabay for good deals on both new and used arms.

Sunder, please post this question at pinkfishmedia forum, you will get lots of relevant suggestions.

Linn Akito would have been good but out of production (I have one and rather like it)
among the new crop if you want to one -up on the Basik, then Jelcos are really good...they are anyway the OEM'S to Linn ;)

Hi Sunder,
Since you have not given any budget, here are my thoughts for a thousand-ish dollars, give or take a few hundreds:

a) Origin Live OL1 - this is nothing but the Rega RB 251 fully modified by OL. More info here. You can ignore "External linear flow 2 - 1.2 meters (high value)" and "DJ External Rewire 2m". This mods is supposed to take the humble Rega RB 251 to the level of a Rega RB 700.

b) Rega RB 1000 or one of the OEM RB 1000 sold by folks like Moth at a much cheaper cost than the Rega one. Like this.

c) Origin Live Onyx or Silver are also very attractive options.

d) Jelco 750 arm with oil damping is another good option. See here. Cost is quite reasonable given their expertise, experience and the build quality.

All the above arms will handle heavy, low compliance MC cartridges.

As you said, Naim Aro is too pricey. If one has such budget, then one can spend a thousand more and plonk one's money into a Graham Phantom or something similar.

Do stay glued to audiogon, vinylengine, lencoheaven.net and of course good old fleabay for good deals on both new and used arms.

Thanks so much for your input, I will check all that, do you use a Lp12 as well ?

Linn Akito would have been good but out of production (I have one and rather like it)
among the new crop if you want to one -up on the Basik, then Jelcos are really good...they are anyway the OEM'S to Linn ;)

I keep checking in ebay for that , do you use LP12 ?

i use the opposite of an LP12 ;)
But an Akito these days is overpriced for what it does. My feeling is a Jelco is your best bet.

Hi All,
Am planning to purchases a TT by next Month and Looking for Vintage serious,hence please let me know anyone who is planning to sell the stuff or any Dealer in Bangalore or Chennai who can be reached for good stuff.

Also suggest for brands or models which are worthy

Thanks

i use the opposite of an LP12 ;)
But an Akito these days is overpriced for what it does. My feeling is a Jelco is your best bet.

Okay ! Would Jelco fit in Lp12's arm board straight away ? Rega arms needs to be modified to fit in LP12...anything to change or upgrade for Lp12 is so expensive so I want to keep everything else as it is and just cj=hange the tonearm. My budget wil be around $2K

Okay ! Would Jelco fit in Lp12's arm board straight away ? Rega arms needs to be modified to fit in LP12...anything to change or upgrade for Lp12 is so expensive so I want to keep everything else as it is and just cj=hange the tonearm. My budget wil be around $2K
I think any tonearm would need a modification
Check this out

I think very few will fit exactly into a Linn..you will need to have a new armboard anyway.

Hi,

Look for a good used Linn Ittok they usually sell in the $500-$700 range.

The Ittok works well with the LP12 and you need not do any modifications.

You might have to reset the suspension (not a complicated process as is made out to be) to account for the different tonearm weight.

My budget wil be around $2K

You will find a Naim Aro in this price range. Also look out for the ZETA,Alphason HR100 and Syrinx PU3 tonearms.All oldies but work great on a LinnLP12. The Syrinx can be rebuilt/upgraded by Audio Origami to their PU7 spec.

Audio Origami - PU7

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks so much for your input, I will check all that, do you use a Lp12 as well ?

No. I use Thorens TD 124 Mark I on a Baltic Birch plywood plinth. Arm is Origin Live Silver Mark IIIa. Cartridge is newly bought Ortofon Kontrapunkt c.

Back