Too many ads in tv programes.

jagadishareddy

Dear friends,

I don't know how to begain with.

Why are we seeing too many ads in tv prgrames?
Why should we pay for seeing too many ads in between our fav programs?
for eg. While watching cricket, sitcoms, news, etc.,
Why i am asking this is we are paying to watch programs which are not beamed to us free of cost. They are charging us to watch there programs in between ads. where they are charging ads, on seconds charges. While all the are channels are pay channels. where the channel groups are charging way too much for there channels.

Where i came to know that in abrod there are far less ads shown in between the programes. Is it true. Why is it like that in our country? And now days they are showing ads half the tv screen. Where we have to search the screen to watch the program. Can't we do some thing to stop this mence?

It is my vew which i Expressed here.

Jagdish

For this very reason ( plus the inane trash in the shows) I switched off my T.V two years back. I do not regret it.

My dish t.v stb and antenna is lying around like scrap since tw oyears. I hardly used it for 50 hours of viewing.

Switch it OFF and feel the difference!! Reclaim your life as the ads say :lol:

Cheers

Jagdish

For this very reason ( plus the inane trash in the shows) I switched off my T.V two years back. I do not regret it.

My dish t.v stb and antenna is lying around like scrap since tw oyears. I hardly used it for 50 hours of viewing.

Cheers

I second Gobble on this :) I havent watched tv programs for quite a long time ..... instead i watch only DVD's or downloaded movies on my pc.. No Ad's, at my own convenience to pause it for short break etc...

@Gobble: Yes, Reclaim your life...is in one way true

Jagdish

Cheers

I totally agree with Gobble and apart from the Television i have not visited a Cinema Hall for the Past 15+ years , just few months back my son bought a HTIB for my wife and she too is not watching many films on that. Without Television Life is Good!!!!!!!!!!!

David

I do watch TV, but its always been very less and limited to channels like Discovery, Discovery Travel & Living and such.

BTW one more good habit I picked up was to stop reading the newspaper. I'd read somewhere a guy said he stopped reading the newspaper since anyway it was filled only with bad/negative news. The news channels, newspapers, etc. have to feed this fear to keep their channels and newspapers in circulation. This is debatable so I will leave it here, but the point that impressed me was this. The guy said he learned Saddam Hussein had been captured 2 months after Saddam Hussein had been captured because he did not read the newspapers or follow the news channels on TV. Now the interesting point he made was this... It did not make any difference to him or his life. Knowing Saddam Hussein's capture would not have added anything to his life and not knowing about Saddam Hussein's capture did not take anything away from his life. Interesting point to ponder...

Same here guys ,haven't watched any programme on television for nearly one year now. I keep myself entertained watching movies on my HT and listening to music with my 2 channel PC setup.:yahoo:

Downloaded movies and being online keeps me going. I am my own boss and not a slave of any half hour crap with more than half of bull***.:mad:

BTW one more good habit I picked up was to stop reading the newspaper.

Me too ... :)

and I've seen 3 movies in the last 5 years. :D

Glad to hear so many people here feel alike. This could snowball into a movement .. a rebellion against the media practices and news manufacturing industry. :)

Cheers

Even with teh developments of many newer channels such as the i*net and gaming consoles, cell phones etc., they greatest and cheapest way to reach consumers is TV.

Add competition and seasonality to this mix the case for increasing the no. of Ads starts to build.

Add changing technologies and product line refreshes, the case gets stronger

Add promotions, pricing offers and a growing market segment like India the case becomes strongest.

So in the nutshell this is the reason why there are so many ads. I do not mind some of them and think that there is a place for them in our lives (otherwise the chances of you knowing about all the TV brands and HT would be small wouldn't it?)

At the same time I do agree that there is a big push on these esp. for the prime time shows. Guess we just have to live with this for ever.

Interesting thread this. Here's a few of my random thoughts from an as yet un-caffeinated and unorganized brain:

T.V:

Well, like mentioned by a lot of people, TV sucks, big time. I guess I could rant on this topic all day and still not have covered half of what I think. Here are a few:

1. The only channels I watch a bit are World Movies, BBC News, History (though for some reason after the Fox takeover (?), it's turning weird), T&L and very few programs on Star World and Zee English. I also waste a bit of time watching select movies on all the movie channels.

2. I hate reality shows.

3. Why would they pull Whose Line Is It Anyway and replace it with some crap?!

4. Indian news channels suck, big time. First off, it appears that every damn news channel carry exclusive and breaking news of the same topic. Second, I never realized that celebrity health issues, cricket stories and tirades of politicos are this important to the country. Thirdly, the only objective part of any news bulletin seems to be restricted to the weather section most of the times. Also, one more thing that's more off-putting than most is the grand-standing and arrogance that some of the new anchors seem to prefer. At any point in time if I want a news update and switch to ANY news channel, I invariably find myself watching ad.s. Always.

5. 99.999% of ALL ads in ALL channels for almost all products are as STUPID as the programs they sponsor. The worst ads by far on Indian TV has to be the automobile ads, both 2 and 4 wheelers. Ex.: Hinting that buying a weird-ass sedan would help the self-esteem of an 8 year old girl. WTF?! I miss the good old days of Indian TV (80's and early/mid 90's) Both the programming and ad.s were much much better than the drivel that we're being fed.

Like I said, I could go on and on...

Most often than not, the few hours I spend every week in front of the TV is more for the want of not having anything better to do than actually wanting to watch TV. Maybe things will change if someone launches a soft-core channel with no ads. :cool:

I guess things are not much different on the newspaper front either. The only newspaper I actually WANT to read and find useful is The Hindu, which I consider to be the finest newspaper in the country. Yes, I have read most of the major english newspapers across the country, so I feel I could take the liberty of being just a tad arrogant. ;)

Okay to cut the middle line here.
Since there is not much we can do (atlesast immeidately) by the way of forcing channels to not air ads, we can atlesast use a streaming device which we can control (I have my pinnacle tv tuner card, others have this tata sky plus),- basically a mechanism to pause and start live tv.
What i do is i usually pause the tv for five-ten minutes after the program starts and then i start playing it.
I just forward the ads and life is happy. I actually spend only 20 minutes to watch the entire telecast which would occupy 35-40 minutes of prime tv with all the bogus ads.
I would recommend all you folks who can bite the bullet to go buy one HDD based streamer for pausing live tv.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back