Townshend Isolda

AVM

I was so impressed and the same time surprised with these that I wanted to share about this relatively unknown British brand.There portfolio includes interconnects,
isolation platforms, a preamp, super tweeters and TT (Courtesy - Townshend website)

My experience has been with the Isolda DCT speaker cables. These are deep cryogenically treated flat copper cables.
They are of unequal length, 3m & 2m (pre owned) and claim to have no effect between the channels inspite of the difference in length.

I needed a good speaker cable and the was curious about the supra. Seeking user experience led to a close FM handing these recently acquired but yet to be tried cables.
Happy to try I introduced them into the chain and let it settle down for a couple of days.

The immediate noticeable difference was spaciousness. The presentation had me clearly pick out the instruments than before. There was a natural decay
without giving a sense of overhang. There was more resolution and naturalness. Of course all this is limited to mainly my speakers capabilities and the chain.

A week with these now and the most outstanding observation is the bass presentation. I have never heard such wonderful texture and rounded bass that is so distinct and yet it does not sound out of place. The bass leaves a nice feeling of depth to the sound. Drums sound much more real without emphasizing any note or frequency. What I mean is stays true to the source and the chain. A good CD sounds fabulous, a bad CD fortunately does not sound too bad but is evident.
Not leaving out the highs, it is much smoother and open.

I pulled up some tracks where I was curious to hear more of the bass -

1. Double Trouble - Eric Clapton, Just One Night, Japanese press
This is a live recording and the audience presence is felt with the shouts from crowd being placed clearly in space. Eric's voice was distinctly presented along with the
reverberating skin of drums as they were struck.

2. Usher demo music - Swinging Ryhtm. This track has a combination of drums. It is flac file a played via laptop with a computer grade USB cable.
Superb presentation with bass to die for. The feel of the bass was more enjoyable.

3. Vettaiyadu Vilaiyaadu - Karka Karka. Its a Kamal Hassan starrer with music by Harris Jeyraj. I do not understand Tamil and happened to pick this up when I heard this an audio shop in Chennai.
I like the track's tempo and beats. The bass reproduction via isolda had me stunned. It was just different with a wanting feel to hit repeat. What also left me wondering was how different the track sounded.

My speakers are the mighty little Usher S-520. These are very well built for their price and are front ported. I have plugged the ports with cloth and this has made the sound more clear. Well this way before the isolda were introduced.

Please note - these are just my observations.

Happy listening!

Same experience here. Fantastic ICs. So neutral & unrestricted you know the signal is passing unaltered

I have some bare Klotz MC5000 that are waiting to be terminated & tried. Few days back i saw a copper chain mail being sold on the road side & wondered if it could be used as speaker cable :lol:

Isolda, Rethm speaker cables are all variants of the original Goertz. Isolda and Rethm do cryogenic treatment. Goertz does not. Isolda actually uses Goertz cables.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back