toys from the attic!thanks granpa!

Wish to meet rajiv sir and every tube guru's out here...probably should have an seperate ss and tube/vintage gear hfv meet hereafter...lol just kidding

you just redefined the word "lucky"

from the collection of tubes, it is evident that your grandpa was into tube gear, did you find any more stuff in the loft? for all you know, there might be a tube amp or two tucked away!!

Please pinch yourself and check if you arent dreaming dude.... Coz thats one dream we all have. Treasure it is...pure treasure.

How good are goodmans axiom 70 speaker/driver?guess its there too in the loft! Any help on this?

Hi,

Vintage Goodmans speakers are very good and will sound better than many modern speakers.

Is it the Audiom 70? In that case there should be the Goodmans Midax and Trebax horns too.

The Goodmans Axiom 80's are one of the most sought after full range drivers and arguably the best full range drivers ever made. Now that is a real treasure.

vintage goodmans axiom 80 speaker pair from the 1950s | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=goodmans+axiom&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have not heard/owned the Axiom 80's but have owned the Axiom 301 and 201 drivers and they are very good.

If there are Axiom drivers then logically there should be some classic tube amps/turntables/Reel to reel etc too.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Yayyyyy rajiv sir well you have finally decided to show up! Been waiting for quite some time for your guidance on the valves I have found : p please help if possible!

Hi,

Been waiting for quite some time for your guidance on the valves I have found : p please help if possible!

I will certainly help.PM me and we could meet sometime.

Make a list of the valves(number/type) and post it on the forum and I am certain that other members will be able to help too .

If I were you I would go through the attic/loft with a fine toothcomb.Goodmans speakers/drivers and several hundred tubes are signs of more hidden gems waiting to be found.:)

Regards
Rajiv

@reub and karthick-thanks guys : ) yeah its quite an treasure!
@rajiv-sir the problem is...the label on most of the valves seems to have completely faded away so figuring out the model by a noob : P has become tough!

Dear Sir,

Respects to your esteemed late Grandfather.

Was he a HAM operator? From what is visible. most of these seem like tetrodes and rectifiers. I can see 807, 6L6G. 6SJ7, 6SK7 etc. In sort what a typical HAM of the day would have in his junk box. In the 3rd pic I can see a few EL84 and small signal triodes which is good news audio wise.

Can they be used for audio? Of course!! 807 and 6L6 will make fine power amp. 6SJ7 is a great driver pentode similar to EF86. I think I see one 5Y3 rectifier. This will be great for a preamplifier. That tube with the white ceramic base looks like ATS25 which is the high altitude version of the 807. This was designed to take even greater abuse. So this is could be a rare valve at your hands. He must have a source for these in the defense.

Your late grandpa seem to be quite a Rambo. From the numbers of 807, he must be running thro them like like a mill. Pretty extraordinary since 807 beam tetrodes are considers virtually indestructible. 800 VDC at anode? Anyone?

Can you can take close up pictures and post here? That will help in identification

More than than you have Shri Rajiv in close proximity and he is your best guide as far as valves are concerned.

Last edited:
@aks-sir thanks a lot...yes am about to pm rajiv sir for an meet during the weekend!...thanks for the identification...wish you can were in chennai too?!...am hoping the valves work even now.....i will try to get close shots of the tubes when possible...probably on gj day?!any chance of valve suggestions for this humble amp!
Yaqin MC-10L

Hi,

But 52 WPC in Class A?

am too noob!is that a good thing or bad?

I guess aks 07 was wondering how they managed to get 52 watts per channel in class A from a pair of EL34 tubes. With two EL34's per side you can possibly get around 20 watts running in pure class A.

52 watts per channel from a pair of EL34's sounds like class AB. The link below might give you a better understanding.

EL34 Push Pull in Class A - diyAudio

Regards
Rajiv

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back