toys from the attic!thanks granpa!

metalmickey

been always curious about vintage gear so would always try to persuade granny to let me into the old stuff place!(officially called store room)...but never suceeded....as she holds memories to things my late great grandpop used...and mr.silly me is famous for record breaking breaks!:D

about my grandpa...was quite an icon in our family...being a graduate from the british reign and went on to become the commissionner of police for chennai city:cool:...thAt man always had his style and charsima...old era anna nagar ians(chennai)would easily remember him as one of the founder members of the anna nagar towers club!

getting back to the toys...i somehow sniffed my way into the store room and after much research found an old gramophone thingy and next to it was a big box with the tag "jack daniels!"hehe now grandpa got me curious with loads of excitement though my mind knows obviously it would contain something else still i opened besides the glass rattling sounds from inside to only find box filled with funny looking BULBS:mad:...

NOW why would grandpa store away fused/used 0 wat bulbs?..when about to close the box i found something labelled on the bulbs!....due to the bad lighting i brought it out to shriek the name 'MULLARD" :clapping: yikeeeees now am all excited and i slowly take out the entire stuff of about 100 tubes namely from rca,telefunken,philips mini watts to sylviana, mullard,etc.....

I have now shifted them to another box and brought them home...though i have gotten into valve amps my knowledge with them are pathetic:eek:
so requesting fellow valve afficianados to help me make use of them or else they would go on sale?!.....

some snaps....from my crappy bb cam!

Last edited:
Did you find an easy way or did you have to rub a magic lamp to get in there? ;)

Whatever it was, now you have found some cool stuff to play with. Rejoice!

Rajiv is the right person to discuss here in chennai about valves. Why can you take the valve(bulb) box to his house to get sorted out. Of course sorting out means the value/usage.

Regards

Well,
Let me teach you something here .I have a book if you like i will share that with you ,I assure you if you read it ,you will know more about values then professors these days .I am still not done with the same as i have to read still .but i have read a few chapters already .These Things are amazing .But this is not the only thing thats to be learned in vintage restoration .You have to be a pro with capacitors ,resistances etc etc .Over this period of time i have collected a few vintage test and measurement material like

1 : VTVM's : This Are Called Vacuum Tube Voltmeters ,These Analog Multimeters Have a Impedence of 10+1 Megaohms to measure any vintage and mordern equiptment.Its a Shame They Are Not Made Anymore .I have collected stuff From RCA Like WV-98B And WV-98C ,BK Precision Like Dynascan 177 And Also One Knight VTVM That Got Damaged While Coming To India .I Tried Restoring One VTVM The WV-98B But i Failed I Will Get To It Soon As i had to colelct few operation theatre stuff like the ciag deoxit contact cleaners and a calibrator to give me reference voltage in DC/AC and Current In DC/AC And Resistance .

2 : VOMS : Done a Few restorations ,Earlier i though i will keep a Avometer for my routine use ,but hey i was wrong this damn multimeter does not work good on vertical position .I have access to More UK made avometers ,USA made sears ,micronta ,triplett and simpson That Are Being operated Upon .

3 : FET VOMS :Hee hee just like you i got mad one day and ordered this too .Lets See How It Works when i get it to india ,Heard they too have high impedance unlike VOMS As They work with mosfets instead of values .

4 : Capacitor Analyser : Was Planning to buy a heathkit IT-11 or IT-28 capacitor analyser but then saw this and ended up buying this .Lets See when i get this sencore in hand ,Hee hee its best to buy on saturday and sunday when those amaricans are sleeping :D

5 : Transistor tester : yup i have this too its a RCA And Damn Good ,Very Soon i Will Have My Vintage Equiptment Ready For Work .

That i can say that i am still going to invest in old stuff and hopefully once my life is more organized i will have a perfect dream lab and then pursue my Career In Data Recovery And Electronics Just The Way i wanted too .Take Care of these tubes ,even little hard cleaning on these will render the print bad on these vintage tubes .Its perfect to have a valve tester ,Do you know there are 2 to 3 DIY projects that are awesome in tube tester ,I might make one one day . :)

Rajiv is the right person to discuss here in chennai about valves. Why can you take the valve(bulb) box to his house to get sorted out. Of course sorting out means the value/usage.

Regards

ofcourse thats what i intend to....and srini sir i called/texted no response from you?thought i will collect your topping amp!..........

@amar ji-thanks a lot...thats a big heap of info...educate and illuminate!......
@ranjeetrain-thanks and am all excited though on the way i realised two mullards got broken but still have a lot to figure out and hopefully rajeev sir helps....
@cor-hey alice wake up wake up!.........

Last edited:
Try also to get in touch with Virenji ..... Lyrita Audio ...
Man, what a collection you have chanced upon! If its possible, why not you try and make a listing of all the tubes ... model etc. Maybe, you have just the right combinations to get made a few half a dozen amps ... I am FIRST in cue for that .......... :licklips:

Your Grandpa left you a treasure you lucky bloke :). If there are any 45 tubes, please put me in Q.

Yes, Viren, Rajiv, Stevieboy & aks07 are the "Go To" people for anything on tubes.

Last edited:
Wow they look like a whole bunch of rectifier tubes! Perhaps old valve radio use if he had one?

Regards

@santhosh,stevie,avid-thanks and am indeed all excited!...@stevie-yes i believe he had a valve radio...yet to be recovered :p .........though i am noobish on valves...yeah i will try to get in touch with the 'recommended' people : ) now waiting for the weekend to travel back to chennai!...and everyone who's on cue : p i would love to share but you got to travel to chennai for that as shipping them would be killing them old souls!...

Last edited:
Hi Metalmickey,

Seems that your find is, second to the one at the temple at Trivandrum. :yahoo:

Good luck with your treasures. :licklips:

N.Murali

@murali-lol.......guru they will land up at your place by 6 or7th!if its ok with you....sunday morning?will give a call soon.....

Seems that your find is, second to the one at the temple at Trivandrum. :yahoo:

ROFTL.

@Metalmickey, buddy, the way you are handling them is sending shivers down my spine. They are too precious to be stacked like that.

I suggest you wrap each of them with adequate pieces of bubble wrap. If not, at least wrap them with news paper sheets thoroughly crushed. Spread open the crushed news paper sheets and wrap the tubes in it.

My 2 cents of advice.

@capt-lol yeah captain i know i need to pack them good but funny this is how i found them all up together in a box:p but yeah on sunday i have decided to sort out and pack them neat! And know what?! it was you i wanted to call once these tubeys found me:p as you are the only person in my contacts who uses these:p

@murali-lol.......guru they will land up at your place by 6 or7th!if its ok with you....sunday morning?will give a call soon.....

Hi MM,

I am a newbie when it comes to tubes, will try to learn about them once my tube pre is ready and running.

Anyway for the time being just browsing the sites where I can get some nice tubes for upgrading. Any way we have good learned gurus like Rajiv at Chennai from whom we can always have a word or two before we take a plunge.

Pl call me before you drive in to chennai.

N.Murali

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back