Are you in it for the music or the setup?

I have recently introduced a third dimension. That of just gazing at my gear and photographing from various angles. A fourth dimension would be to keep shuffling gear (buy and sell). A fifth would be to organise and reorganise digital library, clean LPs, make furniture etc. Why only listen to music or admire sound all the time?

I am a music lover first and foremost. Gear is there to enjoy the music. Music is so much primary that it's very difficult for me to listen critically. I am always lost in enjoying music. But, I enjoy my music better with better gear. I strive to be in a position to enjoy my music better.

To continue to be honest, I lust after certain type of gear though. Vintage and Large Drivers make me go weak in knee whenever I look at them. (I have never had an occasion to listen to them though other than Demo videos, It's Just my inherent quirk.)

The difference being that we select the car that best meets our requirements (including the driver-centric parameters) and then simply start using it (including enjoying driving it). We might add an accessory or two as we go, but we don’t keep thinking about the mods everyday. I doubt we plan our trips with the primary purpose of checking out the car’s performance. While that might happen immediately after we purchase the car, our trips are mostly decided by our work, shopping and vacation choices.

I think the difference is that the car, though it’s a complex system, is designed and put together by the manufacturer. Whereas the hifi system is configured and put together by us. There are far too many components to decide between, and their interplay so unpredictable! Add the room effect and the hundreds of ways in which things can change (cables crossing after home cleaning resulting in distortion for example), that we just never stop ‘balancing/optimising’ it. Imagine if we had the freedom to buy the chassis, gear assembly, braking system et al from manufacturers and put together our own car, we’d then be spending all the time making it work perfectly and probably never get onto the road, except for test drives!
That was just an analogy and since you have dug deeper, yes, there are hobbies where people assemble their rides.

The point I am trying to make is that OP has a question that for most of us, will be difficult to answer by choosing one of those two categories.

As another analogy :), if I am having lunch in a restaurant and somebody asks me if I am there because I am hungry or because I like the restaurant, I do not know how I can answer that question.

Well, i m in for the setup, just into getting the optimal sound from my music room.
While i watch others(friends) having a blast listening to music with their bluetooth speakers :rolleyes:

Is it safe to assume then that no one buys gear without intending to listen to music?
Rare exceptions will always make the headlines. But they are just that.

if I am having lunch in a restaurant and somebody asks me if I am there because I am hungry or because I like the restaurant, I do not know how I can answer that question.
I can help you with the answer, we eat because we get hungry, we don't go to a restaurant if we ain't hungry simple. :)

That was just an analogy and since you have dug deeper, yes, there are hobbies where people assemble their rides.

The point I am trying to make is that OP has a question that for most of us, will be difficult to answer by choosing one of those two categories.

As another analogy :), if I am having lunch in a restaurant and somebody asks me if I am there because I am hungry or because I like the restaurant, I do not know how I can answer that question.
But, more often than not, I'm at a restaurant for reasons that I'm not at home or 'cause I'm bored with same old homely food and that the Restaurant can serve to My Taste buds. Other wise its just an social gathering and with an icing that the restaurant can serve to My Taste.

It doesn't matter when I'm hungry though.

Yes, choosing one over the other is always an compromise. its more of an cohesion between these two that bring up your music to a heightened level of gratification.

edit - spelling

Very interesting thread.

Even though I have huge collection of high quality music files, I more or less listen to songs on YouTube either alone or with my wife.

But sadly, most of the current generation Bollywood tracks are mostly remixes with very few originals, which I guess is another topic for discussion 😄.

As long as we enjoy the music in whatever system we have, it is okay. It is a personal choice whether to go for convenience or perfection.

There was a time, during my college days, used to hear FM on 50 rs radio and 100rs earphone and would still enjoy it in its lowest volume.

When I first purchased Sennheiser earphone, it changed my perspective for enjoying the music and it evolved me in terms of my choices and preferences.

Whenever one updates their equipment and if they are able to appreciate the improvement then it is money we'll spend.

You need gear of some sort to listen to music, even live music that's unamplified as you need instruments. I think the point of the question is simply to understand whether your in it for the gear/sound or the music. Most people who buy any significant amount of gear (either in number of equipment or money spent) are typically in it for the gear, at least that is what one might guess looking at audio forums. Elitism exists to a large extent in audio but it's more about the money spent or the objective data, but that is another topic. I don't believe that was the OP's intent nor any of the posters. If I am not mistaken music was initially used for religious/ceremonial reasons. Today it is primarily for recreational use. In my opinion the "raison d'etre" of music is for it to be enjoyed, for the hobby (listening to music/acquiring music/equipment etc) I think each individual has their own reason. Most people are not inherently music lovers but they can understand the language of music and appreciate it, to some extent. In the end I believe music lovers are those that are inclined inherently to appreciate and enjoy sound. I've observed most people tend to be visual and tend to prefer display devices or audio to support video with lower interest in music. Either way, gear head or not, one is free to pursue the hobby as they wish and no one really cares as everyone is too busy with life. It is only on forums that such questions are raised, and answered. Most people don't know, don't care. They just push "play". And that is how it should be.

While getting Usha Uthup to autograph an old LP from my childhood was a huge thrill, what she wrote was even better. Guess most musicians don’t care how you listen to music, as long as you listen to music :)
Music always. Amen!

View attachment 79385
One of the unconventional talented singers, very different style in her own way.

Reading this thread, I am reminded that my impression is that perhaps most people are just gearheads with little love for music, at least on forums. I had this same view reading other forums.

I am a music first guy,

if someone doesn't close their eyes sit in the sweet spot and listen to music while doing nothing else then I won't take them or their opinions about music

If you are a music first guy, you will listen to music on a pocket radio.

There are so many famous and capable musicians out there who don't own audiophile gear nor do they listen to music in some sweet spot. Beethoven was almost deaf with no speakers to listen to in a sweet spot. So, his opinions about music is not valid ?

If you are a music first guy, you will listen to music on a pocket radio.

There are so many famous and capable musicians out there who don't own audiophile gear nor do they listen to music in some sweet spot. Beethoven was almost deaf with no speakers to listen to in a sweet spot. So, his opinions about music is not valid ?

Sure, as long as it is my music with my sound.

People tend to be into music for the "scene" or the people (artists) as much as the music, if not more. Many people care about the human connection. I do not. I don't care about the artists or the scene, for most of the music I've been listening to for years I don't even know the name of the people in the band (forget their faces), if its a band. With this in mind I don't really give any extra importance to people, Beethoven or otherwise, so my criteria for who I take seriously stands. I only care about the music.

My music, my sound. Everything else doesn't matter.

How many speakers are good for music just 2 speakers are a surround 5.1 or 9.1etc..cause av receiver are we need a intergrated amplifier for a music setup

Maybe you missed to note that he said "driving experience" instead of "travelling experience". I also agree that for someone moving from hyundai i10 to and entry level sedan will also experience a big change in driving experience. So a lot of these things are quite relative to where one is coming from.
And the definition of “A good car” is also relative and what one wants to get out of it.
There have been numerous uber luxurious/super expensive/temperamental cars which are called “good cars”. Well are they really ? Or are they a liability ? An entry level Toyota, Honda, Mazda can also be a good car and sometimes a great car.
Well I digress……

For me it will always be music first. I have stopped analysing systems in the usual “audiophile terms” like tight bass, clear mids, liquid high’s and all that jazz. No I cant see down the singers throat and dont to either 😂. The soundstage has little consequence to me and so does imaging. The bovine crap that we have been fed /subjected to over the years to describe a system sounds so funny to me now. If the system helps me enjoy my music more then yes I may upgrade but to a point and I will never ever let my passion for music surpass my fondness for good gear. Dont want to go down that rabbit hole. If I want to hear top notch sound I usually go to a live classical music concert at the NCPA, satiate my hunger and come back home happy.

I think I am a little bit of both. I love good gear, I can't lie. But how long can one gaze lovingly at ones Crown Amp. So, I end up listening to music.

ps: In a 'Healthy Living' phase but HIV is making it difficult with every post containing words like 'High', 'Tight' etc

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back