Are you in it for the music or the setup?

Hello,

Good to know that not everyone is solely focused on superficial sounds, but rather the essence of music itself. This realization has led me to an important juncture—it's time for me to revisit my initial passion, the music that truly moves me, rather than getting caught up in the cycle of constant system evaluations or pursuing the elusive "perfect" sound.

I've come to acknowledge my identity as a background music enthusiast. Each morning, I kickstart my day by tuning in to the radio, a cherished ritual that spans two to three hours. Although my musical companions at home, particularly my wife, may tease me about my tendency to sing along, I've come to understand that this active participation is integral to my genuine enjoyment.

Currently, I find myself content with my compact FM setup. It offers convenience and a diverse selection of songs that keeps things fresh. Moreover, the sound quality is reasonable, and no complaints from the main music system either.

I realize it's time to return to my musical origins. There's no need to constantly seek out changes or upgrades. Instead, I want to relish the music I've always loved. So, with a content heart, I embrace this choice.

Happy Listening
haha...nice :)

Iam doing something similar too. I got a vintage akai integrated amp, so that i can enjoy music without the usual analysis. And next step is OB speakers, that are claimed to sound like real music.

Hello everyone,

My musical journey began with a deep appreciation for old Hindi Bollywood music, which gradually expanded to include a fondness for Ghazals. Even now, these genres hold a special place in my heart, and I continue to derive immense joy from listening to them. However, my pursuit of the ultimate auditory experience took an unexpected turn after I acquired my first HiFi system. What was initially intended to be a simple upgrade from using my phone as a music player evolved into a quest for the highest quality sound reproduction.

Recently, I found myself pondering over a thought that struck me this morning: What exactly am I experiencing when I listen to my system? Is it the intrinsic beauty of the music I cherish, or is it primarily the pursuit of achieving the best possible sound from my equipment? Regrettably, the answer leans towards the latter. It's not that I've forsaken the music I hold dear, but rather, I've found myself gravitating towards impeccably recorded tracks that can showcase the capabilities of my system. While I still have a deep affinity for the music that initiated my musical journey, I must admit that my preferences have evolved to appreciate well-engineered recordings.

I'm curious to know about your experiences. Do you find yourself primarily drawn to the music you have a personal connection with, or do you find that your quest for optimal audio quality often shapes your listening choices?

Regards
Vivek
I always have thought of myself as a music guy. The gear is a means to an end. However, reality has proven that I maybe equally both. I end up buying more gear and trying new things just to get the music a little better. I’m constantly fighting the law of diminishing returns! I suppose the truth is that I’m equally both parts.

if i had a full ranger setup for jazz and vocal, a 3 way 12/15 incher for rock/edm and a horn setup in lines of Altec for sheer soundstage and warmth, i think i'll be content and i wont look at any other women, er speaker, ever.

haha...nice :)

Iam doing something similar too. I got a vintage akai integrated amp, so that i can enjoy music without the usual analysis. And next step is OB speakers, that are claimed to sound like real music.

OB? I'm not sure but do you listen to rock/metal? If so how will these genres sound on OB?

if i had a full ranger setup for jazz and vocal, a 3 way 12/15 incher for rock/edm and a horn setup in lines of Altec for sheer soundstage and warmth, i think i'll be content and i wont look at any other women, er speaker, ever.

Just get DSP, there will be somethings you probably won't be able to copy with DSP but it will get you there most of the way. Personally I like the same "flavor" applied to all music.

OB? I'm not sure but do you listen to rock/metal? If so how will these genres sound on OB?

Just get DSP, there will be somethings you probably won't be able to copy with DSP but it will get you there most of the way. Personally I like the same "flavor" applied to all music.
Absolutely no clue how OB sounds, as Ive never heard one. But been reading up on a lot of OB reviews and build threads. And really like how everyone considers it to sound more like real music than boxed drivers. And considering that I have a few drivers in the closet, am itching to give it a try. Might not do the lowest bass, which might need fixing with a few subs, but that can be for later. Besides, apart from classical and EDM, metal and rock dont have sub terranean bass anyways.

The first challenge is to make space for new speakers. Tried convincing the wife to move my current speakers to living room, but permission denied :(

Absolutely no clue how OB sounds, as Ive never heard one. But been reading up on a lot of OB reviews and build threads. And really like how everyone considers it to sound more like real music than boxed drivers. And considering that I have a few drivers in the closet, am itching to give it a try. Might not do the lowest bass, which might need fixing with a few subs, but that can be for later. Besides, apart from classical and EDM, metal and rock dont have sub terranean bass anyways.

The first challenge is to make space for new speakers. Tried convincing the wife to move my current speakers to living room, but permission denied :(

Well good luck, we are in the same boat. OB is something I'd also like to try, at some point I hope to try it. I've also read that it sounds natural. Do you have a list of currently available commercial OB speakers/manufacturers from your research? Also are OB available for demo in AV showrooms?

Well good luck, we are in the same boat. OB is something I'd also like to try, at some point I hope to try it. I've also read that it sounds natural. Do you have a list of currently available commercial OB speakers/manufacturers from your research? Also are OB available for demo in AV showrooms?
Iam not considering buying a commercial OB, but they are available for import from Pure audio project and Spatial audio. The only commercial that makes me go week in the knees for the sheer beauty of the wood work is the lii-song from Canada. They are gorgeous to look at, and the reviews are all gushing.

I have loads of time on my hands when Iam home. So want to DIY my own speakers, and just maybe learn something in the process. If Iam very happy with the end result, then I could get it built aesthetically by someone more skilled than me :)

But the first challenge is still to make space for the new speakers :D

Hello everyone,

My musical journey began with a deep appreciation for old Hindi Bollywood music, which gradually expanded to include a fondness for Ghazals. Even now, these genres hold a special place in my heart, and I continue to derive immense joy from listening to them. However, my pursuit of the ultimate auditory experience took an unexpected turn after I acquired my first HiFi system. What was initially intended to be a simple upgrade from using my phone as a music player evolved into a quest for the highest quality sound reproduction.

Recently, I found myself pondering over a thought that struck me this morning: What exactly am I experiencing when I listen to my system? Is it the intrinsic beauty of the music I cherish, or is it primarily the pursuit of achieving the best possible sound from my equipment? Regrettably, the answer leans towards the latter. It's not that I've forsaken the music I hold dear, but rather, I've found myself gravitating towards impeccably recorded tracks that can showcase the capabilities of my system. While I still have a deep affinity for the music that initiated my musical journey, I must admit that my preferences have evolved to appreciate well-engineered recordings.

I'm curious to know about your experiences. Do you find yourself primarily drawn to the music you have a personal connection with, or do you find that your quest for optimal audio quality often shapes your listening choices?

Regards
Vivek
Dear Vivek,

You will constantly evolve yourself over time. This interest is like "keep on upgrading". There is never a full stop until and unless you make up your mind and decide to stop. Good recordings played over a decent separate component 2 channel stereo system always sound wonderful. Sometimes there are some emotional connections to some particular music or tracks that one can listen and enjoy even if the recording is not that good. Basically Music and movies is all about emotional connect and one must give importance to that rather owning expensive audio gears.

As far as my interest goes it is tilted towards music on a hi-fi system. I always had one available since 1985 whether it is tape deck or Cd player or streaming music, amplifiers, speakers. Movies/OTT is not on surround set ups. I use wireless headphones for that is connected directly to my personal TV. TV plays a very important role, it must have good to best picture quality and flawless transmission.

All the best for your music journey.

Shammi Dang

I have seen this kind of question in several places but what I do not understand is how these two (music vs gear) can be separate things. In order to have a good driving experience, you need to have a good car. Yes, one can say that he/she loves good driving experience but is okay with the Honda Activa scooter and in such cases, something ELSE is governing the choice/decision that is not worth a discussion here.
The difference being that we select the car that best meets our requirements (including the driver-centric parameters) and then simply start using it (including enjoying driving it). We might add an accessory or two as we go, but we don’t keep thinking about the mods everyday. I doubt we plan our trips with the primary purpose of checking out the car’s performance. While that might happen immediately after we purchase the car, our trips are mostly decided by our work, shopping and vacation choices.

I think the difference is that the car, though it’s a complex system, is designed and put together by the manufacturer. Whereas the hifi system is configured and put together by us. There are far too many components to decide between, and their interplay so unpredictable! Add the room effect and the hundreds of ways in which things can change (cables crossing after home cleaning resulting in distortion for example), that we just never stop ‘balancing/optimising’ it. Imagine if we had the freedom to buy the chassis, gear assembly, braking system et al from manufacturers and put together our own car, we’d then be spending all the time making it work perfectly and probably never get onto the road, except for test drives!

Last edited:
And next step is OB speakers, that are claimed to sound like real music
Another path, another lure, another set of experimentation. Watch out for possible self-deception if you truly want to get back to music. 😊

(Ironically, I should ask myself: “what am I doing on this forum?” Do some of us non-technophiles feel like imposters here? I know I do sometimes. And then I tell myself it’s the ‘good crowd’ here, so rare to find even offline these days.)

Last edited:
The difference being that we select the car that best meets our requirements (including the driver-centric parameters) and then simply start using it (including enjoying driving it). We might add an accessory or two as we go, but we don’t keep thinking about the mods everyday. I doubt we plan our trips with the primary purpose of checking out the car’s performance. While that might happen immediately after we purchase the car, our trips are mostly decided by our work, shopping and vacation choices.

I think the difference is that the car, though it’s a complex system, is designed and put together by the manufacturer. Whereas the hifi system is configured and put together by us. There are far too many components to decide between, and their interplay so unpredictable! Add the room effect and the hundreds of ways in which things can change (cables crossing after home cleaning resulting in distortion for example), that we just never stop ‘balancing/optimising’ it. Imagine if we had the freedom to buy the chassis, gear assembly, braking system et al from manufacturers and put together our own car, we’d then be spending all the time making it work perfectly and probably never get onto the road, except for test drives!
Nice explanation Sachin

This discussion is just a red herring.

It happens all the time with regularity on similar forums. It becomes a tool for 'music lovers' to sneer at gear heads, and feel superior that they have a nobler purpose. Gear folks like to imagine that without the purity of sound that their equipment provides, music would sound distorted, coloured, and incapable of nuanced enjoyment. People should just chill. Most of us have a bit of this and a bit of that, and its just a waste time to get patronizing over one camp or the other. Life is too short for all this kolaveri. Just put on a record, get out that beer, and boogie

It happens all the time with regularity on similar forums. It becomes a tool for 'music lovers' to sneer at gear heads, and feel superior that they have a nobler purpose. Gear folks like to imagine that without the purity of sound that their equipment provides, music would sound distorted, coloured, and incapable of nuanced enjoyment. People should just chill. Most of us have a bit of this and a bit of that, and its just a waste time to get patronizing over one camp or the other. Life is too short for all this kolaveri. Just put on a record, get out that beer, and boogie
Thats not the intent at all to start this conversation. Just everyone's own views ,how they enjoy this hobby.

May be you have a big room, so easy to say. Last time I put on a record, had a few beers and boogied, I broke the bloody stylus 🤣

Maybe the question can be framed differently to include shades of gray?

It could, but it would then not draw as many impassioned responses. Nuance rarely does.

Lots in music to find a connection with (lyrics, tune, singing...), even without a full-fledged audio setup. Goose bumps are (primarily in) the territory of audio reproduction, however. A spontaneous, involuntary reaction to how you heard something reproduced on a setup. That seemingly stays with you forever. It's the raison d'etre for the hobby, IMO.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back