Are you in it for the music or the setup?

Vivek Batra

Hello everyone,

My musical journey began with a deep appreciation for old Hindi Bollywood music, which gradually expanded to include a fondness for Ghazals. Even now, these genres hold a special place in my heart, and I continue to derive immense joy from listening to them. However, my pursuit of the ultimate auditory experience took an unexpected turn after I acquired my first HiFi system. What was initially intended to be a simple upgrade from using my phone as a music player evolved into a quest for the highest quality sound reproduction.

Recently, I found myself pondering over a thought that struck me this morning: What exactly am I experiencing when I listen to my system? Is it the intrinsic beauty of the music I cherish, or is it primarily the pursuit of achieving the best possible sound from my equipment? Regrettably, the answer leans towards the latter. It's not that I've forsaken the music I hold dear, but rather, I've found myself gravitating towards impeccably recorded tracks that can showcase the capabilities of my system. While I still have a deep affinity for the music that initiated my musical journey, I must admit that my preferences have evolved to appreciate well-engineered recordings.

I'm curious to know about your experiences. Do you find yourself primarily drawn to the music you have a personal connection with, or do you find that your quest for optimal audio quality often shapes your listening choices?

Regards
Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Nice thought to ponder on. My first preference would be to listen to tracks as per my tastes. But if the recording is good, then it will take the listening experience to another level.
In the small collection of CD's and mp3's that I have, I have felt that most of the old tracks of Kishore kumar, Mohd. Rafi etc sound flat. I do enjoy those songs but cannot hear them at a desired volume level.

Where as the ones recorded well are a joy to listen. The newer tracks with recent singers have good recordings which also makes me hear more of them.

So yes, I look forward to hearing tracks of my choice with good recording quality which the gear can bring it out in the best possible way to make it a pleasurable listening experience.
Some of the old
tracks remastered without tampering much of the main flow is a joy to listen. There is always some give and take since nothing is perfect.

Regards,
Nitin

@Vivek Batra - Just like you my journey started with Hindi Music primarily. Quality was never a concern, just listening to the songs! However I am in a different state than you and I am also thoroughly perplexed, I feel I am cheating :) For me the quality of the content has taken a complete back seat at-least these days & I am listening to more and more stuff that I like.

Now - My thoughts below are not a comment on anyone's dedication to the hobby, but rather my current state of mind as far as audiophilia is concerned - so please read it as that :) No offence was intended.

Presently I am in the music first, convenience second, sound quality third (not third-class); phase. I hope it lasts as I am really enjoying it. Waking up in the morning - starting a song radio on Spotify has become the first thing I do, I look forward to that these days. I am humming and making my coffee, tapping my feet to some beautiful tune in the background. I mostly forget to listen for the accuracy of the tuba in Tubby the Tuba - I just find myself making (bhon bhon) sound at my dog every time the tuba plays :)

Doing this I am getting more & more inclined over setups which are easy in the sense that they can work with most amps/cable/dacs & can do most things well - Spotify, CD, Youtube. As far as the music does "what" it was intended to do, make you tap your feet, feel the emotion, sing along. I have also started listening to a lot of songs with lyrics again - as I had forgotten how much I like singing along, till my throat is sore or someone asks me to shut up :).

My choice of source has also gravitated towards convenience & ease of use. After using CD, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz (which I still have the subscription for) - I ended up using Spotify & Youtube as my primary drivers. The Hard Disks are locked away, haven't used them in a while. Is spotify that bad? I do not know, it just makes sure I end up listening to music instead of analysing it.

It is a strange feeling. I feel I am doing it all wrong, the setup should sound accurate, but when I look for accurate, I forget what I was listening to.

I've come to know that this quote has wrongly been attributed to Alan Parsons but it summarizes things nicely!

quote-audiophiles-don-t-use-their-equipment-to-listen-to-your-music-audiophiles-use-your-music-alan-parsons-80-35-88.jpg

I surely lost music somewhere along the way. In the pursuit of building a system that is very detailed aka impressive with massive scale in a small room, I think i pushed the envelope too much. The net result is reduced listening hours, as it is a sensory overload and not enjoyable in the long run.

But iam making amends now :)

I have seen this kind of question in several places but what I do not understand is how these two (music vs gear) can be separate things. In order to have a good driving experience, you need to have a good car. Yes, one can say that he/she loves good driving experience but is okay with the Honda Activa scooter and in such cases, something ELSE is governing the choice/decision that is not worth a discussion here.

I have seen this kind of question in several places but what I do not understand is how these two (music vs gear) can be separate things. In order to have a good driving experience, you need to have a good car. Yes, one can say that he/she loves good driving experience but is okay with the Honda Activa scooter and in such cases, something ELSE is governing the choice/decision that is not worth a discussion here.
Is it though? Skull candy's current revenue is well over $50 Mil, and Stax around $5 Mil - I found through quick google search (numbers maybe different). Going by their price I would say there are millions more Skull candy users than Stax. Are all skull candy users not music lovers?

If you do not have a good car, you can't be a driving enthusiast? I don't have a great motorcycle (like the Tenere 700) but I love motorcycling. Many other factors come in - like affordability, practicality, availability :) but that's not a reflection of passion.

I am really sorry @bornfi - but I think your blanket statement is a bit unfair. Not trying to instigate you, please take my comments as a disagreement to your opinion. & in case I misunderstood what you were trying to put down, I apologise.

Very true...and the gear does matter. But as I lately realised, the question to ask when analyzing gear is wether it draws you into the music and makes you want to continue listening. If your listening increases after a gear swap, then it is the right purchase. But despite all the technical correctness of the box, if ones listening reduces, then it is just wrong. Just the 2 cents I've very lately learnt :)

am sure 99% of the music loving population are happy with just any system, the rest like to enhance the music experience and a smaller percentage become audiophiles :)

If you are in this forum then you care about equipment and its impact on sound reproduction then you are an audiophile..does not matter what you call yourself 😇

Last edited:
am sure 99% of the music loving population are happy with just any system, the rest like to enhance the music experience and a smaller percentage become audiophiles :)

If you are in this forum then you care about equipment and its impact on sound reproduction then you are an audiophile..does not matter what you call yourself 😇
🤣 True that!

As in many issues around us today the question “Are you in it for the music or the setup?” seems to assume there it there is an absolute either this or that…that either one can be a music lover and not care about how it is reproduced for playback or one is a gear head who only cares about the equipment and does not care for music.
Maybe the question can be framed differently to include shades of gray?
Personally I struggle to answer if I ask myself how much music and/or equipment is important to me (expressed in terms of percentage)

As in many issues around us today the question “Are you in it for the music or the setup?” seems to assume there it there is an absolute either this or that…that either one can be a music lover and not care about how it is reproduced for playback or one is a gear head who only cares about the equipment and does not care for music.
Maybe the question can be framed differently to include shades of gray?
Personally I struggle to answer if I ask myself how much music and/or equipment is important to me (expressed in terms of percentage)

In the past I used to define being an Audiophile as an Continuum.

One end is someone who loves music first and equipment is just a means to get the music. hardly comes to audio forums and only listens to music and goes by emotion and feel for music.

Other end the equipment geek who knows the specs and perhaps measures every component. may listen only to few music albums almmost all being test records and audiophile music. will always be part of audio forums

All of us are somewhere in the middle..some lean more to the left and other more to the right at any given time and this position is not permanent.

Last edited:
Is it though? Skull candy's current revenue is well over $50 Mil, and Stax around $5 Mil - I found through quick google search (numbers maybe different). Going by their price I would say there are millions more Skull candy users than Stax. Are all skull candy users not music lovers?

If you do not have a good car, you can't be a driving enthusiast? I don't have a great motorcycle (like the Tenere 700) but I love motorcycling. Many other factors come in - like affordability, practicality, availability :) but that's not a reflection of passion.

I am really sorry @bornfi - but I think your blanket statement is a bit unfair. Not trying to instigate you, please take my comments as a disagreement to your opinion. & in case I misunderstood what you were trying to put down, I apologise.
Maybe you missed to note that he said "driving experience" instead of "travelling experience". I also agree that for someone moving from hyundai i10 to and entry level sedan will also experience a big change in driving experience. So a lot of these things are quite relative to where one is coming from.

Reading this thread, I am reminded that my impression is that perhaps most people are just gearheads with little love for music, at least on forums. I had this same view reading other forums.

I am a music first guy, I like specific music, sounding a specific way. Either I get that and listen to music, or I just don't listen at all. I never listen to music I don't like (other than a first one or two listens to see if I like it) and haven't bothered about gear other than as a tool for years. I don't take gearheads seriously, if someone doesn't close their eyes sit in the sweet spot and listen to music while doing nothing else then I won't take them or their opinions about music or gear seriously. This is just my view of course, I know gearheads are the majority by a mile in the audio equipment community. As a side note I understand the obsession with gear as I started as a music first guy, fell into the gear rabbit hole, and them emerged again to become a music first guy once more. Most of this dawned on me when I continued buying gear but going back to old gear and realizing I was satisfied. Why was I even buying gear? Still open to experimentation as long as the other gear is not disturbed and the changes are reversible, so any gear I buy now I buy knowing that I might not use it for more than a few hours.

Do you find yourself primarily drawn to the music you have a personal connection with, or do you find that your quest for optimal audio quality often shapes your listening choices?
Interesting post/question.

I've been a music first person from the get go. Like yourself, there was a point that shifted towards the pursuit of owning a really good stereo. I later realized that I can appreciate music played out of a little JBL boombox (If thats all I've got) and a good system as well. Depends on the situation.

As others have also said, recording quality matters. In saying that, that does not mean I'm not going to listen to shitty Led Zeppelin recordings. I mean, even though the recordings are so bad and no amount of remastering can fix it, the music, the composition, the lyrics are what appeal the most.

I want a nice stereo as you enjoy, appreciate music better. It brings joy to you, as a listener. At the same time, I do enjoy little dancing disco lights from a Sony FH-B900.

Hello,

Good to know that not everyone is solely focused on superficial sounds, but rather the essence of music itself. This realization has led me to an important juncture—it's time for me to revisit my initial passion, the music that truly moves me, rather than getting caught up in the cycle of constant system evaluations or pursuing the elusive "perfect" sound.

I've come to acknowledge my identity as a background music enthusiast. Each morning, I kickstart my day by tuning in to the radio, a cherished ritual that spans two to three hours. Although my musical companions at home, particularly my wife, may tease me about my tendency to sing along, I've come to understand that this active participation is integral to my genuine enjoyment.

Currently, I find myself content with my compact FM setup. It offers convenience and a diverse selection of songs that keeps things fresh. Moreover, the sound quality is reasonable, and no complaints from the main music system either.

I realize it's time to return to my musical origins. There's no need to constantly seek out changes or upgrades. Instead, I want to relish the music I've always loved. So, with a content heart, I embrace this choice.

Happy Listening

Hello,

Good to know that not everyone is solely focused on superficial sounds, but rather the essence of music itself. This realization has led me to an important juncture—it's time for me to revisit my initial passion, the music that truly moves me, rather than getting caught up in the cycle of constant system evaluations or pursuing the elusive "perfect" sound.

I've come to acknowledge my identity as a background music enthusiast. Each morning, I kickstart my day by tuning in to the radio, a cherished ritual that spans two to three hours. Although my musical companions at home, particularly my wife, may tease me about my tendency to sing along, I've come to understand that this active participation is integral to my genuine enjoyment.

Currently, I find myself content with my compact FM setup. It offers convenience and a diverse selection of songs that keeps things fresh. Moreover, the sound quality is reasonable, and no complaints from the main music system either.

I realize it's time to return to my musical origins. There's no need to constantly seek out changes or upgrades. Instead, I want to relish the music I've always loved. So, with a content heart, I embrace this choice.

Happy Listening

You might be aware but still posting, that "perfect" sound differs from person to person, most are not even aware of what sound they prefer, much less "perfect" sound. I'm not sure even I know what my "perfect" sound is, I am satisfied with what I have, I can call it "perfect" or close to perfect but I don't know for sure. Many times people think that the typical clear,beautiful,defined sound is perfect sound and when they first hear it they are taken in by its "wow factor" but its something most people may not want for a daily system. I think that many people seek clarity initially since normal systems people may hear in daily life might not have it. I guess perfect sound is sound where you want for nothing as you listen, in that respect I am almost there as on occasion I wonder if it could be improved a little by this or that, it doesn't mean I am not satisfied. Everyone wants just a little more, right?

Happy Listening Indeed!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back