Transporting LCD TV by air

BlueDart can ship LCD TVs. I recently shipped a 26" LCD TV. Be warned they will charge a bomb... and that too in road transport. If sent via their air cargo, I think it would be more profitable to buy a new TV. As Elvis said it would be better to insure it so that they take extra precautions. I had mine insured.
I had approached GATI but they said they do not ship TVs. You can speak to them and see. If they are willing to ship then let me know. I will phone up the representative who told me they don't ship and give him an earfull.
Regarding your query about buying a TV at one location and having a local dealer deliver it at another, I don't think they will agree. You see it is only at big metros that you get such good discounts. Some smaller towns or far flung areas even sell TVs at MRP only. Why else are so many LCD TVs (which are lower than MRP but way higher than street price) being sold on eBay?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys. So it seems like best option will be buy it here and carry it with me when I go home next time. Although I would enquire about the different shipping companies and their rates.

I carried a Sony 32'' LCD from Bangkok last year. It was brand new packed/sealed in it's original packing. Without me even asking for it, the lady doing the check-in pasted at least 5-6 Fragile - Handle with Care stickers at different places on the box. When i got the TV, it was in perfect state.

I feel the original packing of LCDs can withstand a lot of things. Just make sure you get the Fragile sticker pasted on it.

Usually the box packaging of these electronic components is designed to withstand a fair bit of abuse as they pass through the various distribution channels and transporters and so on, and I've generally seen people checking in their LCD/plasma TVs on international (and domestic) flights. Also, the biggest danger to fragile items is when bags are 'thrown' by the handlers. Something like an LCD TV would be too heavy to 'throw' so it's likely that on account of the sheer weight of it, it'll be handled with some amount of care (they wouldn't want to drop one on their feet either).

Considering these factors, it should be pretty safe to check in an LCD TV in its original packing. However, if it gives you greater peace of mind, by all means add some bubble wrap to it.

I carried a Sony 32'' LCD from Bangkok last year. It was brand new packed/sealed in it's original packing. Without me even asking for it, the lady doing the check-in pasted at least 5-6 Fragile - Handle with Care stickers at different places on the box. When i got the TV, it was in perfect state.

I feel the original packing of LCDs can withstand a lot of things. Just make sure you get the Fragile sticker pasted on it.

psychotropic, pavit,

Please see my earlier post. For smaller sized TVs like 32 inch, the factory packaging may suffice. But as the size gets bigger like 40 inch and 46 inch, it is advisable to use at least bubble wrap. Sony's packaging at least for this year's models are pretty bad. Am speaking from personal experience:)

I recntly relocated to india from abroad. I carried my sony 40 inch lcd with me as check in baggage. the TV was in good condition when i opened at my house in bangalore. Then i got a job in kolkata hence shipped the lcd through DECCAN 360 cargo. They assured the TV will reach safely. Then once it reached kolkata i had a shock of my life THE FRONT SCREEN WAS BROKEN now i have to spend around 20 - 25 k to replace the screen. So please do not rely on indian transport. They do not have technology to transport fragile items. Especially DECCAN360, when you hear of it take a 360 degree round and forget your valuable goods

I assume you mean checking in TV in to check-in baggage when you are flying. I think quite a few members here would have shipped TV & other electronics through airlines. I recently took home a 40 inch Sony LCD TV from Dubai to Chennai. I shipped it using the factory packing and the only extra packaging I applied was to bubble wrap the part of television not protected by thermocol. I applied almost 6 meters of bubble wrap in the front & back panels and in other areas not covered by thermocol and that was it. There was actually two areas where the box had been damaged in handling when I picked it up after arriving in Chennai, but there was not even a scratch on the TV itself the bubble wraps had protected the TV well.

Ship it in factory packaging and use bubble wrap or multiple 10 mm thermocol sheets to protect the areas which is not protected in the factory packing. Bubble wrap & thermocol have a bit of give in that when sudden pressure (like when the package is dropped few centimeters) hits them, they actually give in (a bit like elastic) and take the pressure. Hence very less pressure reaches the TV. But please do not use clothes (even softer ones like microfiber) to add extra padding to the package. By experience, I can tell you that clothes can actually damage electronics when the packages are handled roughly.

Hi, I want to send a 32"LCD tv from dubai to India. Can you please let me know which cargo service you had used to send it.

thanks.

I recntly relocated to india from abroad. I carried my sony 40 inch lcd with me as check in baggage. the TV was in good condition when i opened at my house in bangalore. Then i got a job in kolkata hence shipped the lcd through DECCAN 360 cargo. They assured the TV will reach safely. Then once it reached kolkata i had a shock of my life THE FRONT SCREEN WAS BROKEN now i have to spend around 20 - 25 k to replace the screen. So please do not rely on indian transport. They do not have technology to transport fragile items. Especially DECCAN360, when you hear of it take a 360 degree round and forget your valuable goods

They didn't pay damage?

Hi,
Did you face any issues with the customs in Chennai, once you had collected your tele?
Thanks.

I assume you mean checking in TV in to check-in baggage when you are flying. I think quite a few members here would have shipped TV & other electronics through airlines. I recently took home a 40 inch Sony LCD TV from Dubai to Chennai. I shipped it using the factory packing and the only extra packaging I applied was to bubble wrap the part of television not protected by thermocol. I applied almost 6 meters of bubble wrap in the front & back panels and in other areas not covered by thermocol and that was it. There was actually two areas where the box had been damaged in handling when I picked it up after arriving in Chennai, but there was not even a scratch on the TV itself the bubble wraps had protected the TV well.

Ship it in factory packaging and use bubble wrap or multiple 10 mm thermocol sheets to protect the areas which is not protected in the factory packing. Bubble wrap & thermocol have a bit of give in that when sudden pressure (like when the package is dropped few centimeters) hits them, they actually give in (a bit like elastic) and take the pressure. Hence very less pressure reaches the TV. But please do not use clothes (even softer ones like microfiber) to add extra padding to the package. By experience, I can tell you that clothes can actually damage electronics when the packages are handled roughly.

Hi,
Did you face any issues with the customs in Chennai, once you had collected your tele?
Thanks.

I had to pay a customs charge of Rs. 3500. They were courteous and asked me to deposit the money in the airport SBI branch (to the customs account) and provided me with receipt for the payment.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back