Transporting LCD TV by air

shredder

Has any one had any experience of transporting their LCD TV by airlines? If so please let me know if there are any precautions to be taken, or if any special packing is required.

Has any one had any experience of transporting their LCD TV by airlines? If so please let me know if there are any precautions to be taken, or if any special packing is required.

I assume you mean checking in TV in to check-in baggage when you are flying. I think quite a few members here would have shipped TV & other electronics through airlines. I recently took home a 40 inch Sony LCD TV from Dubai to Chennai. I shipped it using the factory packing and the only extra packaging I applied was to bubble wrap the part of television not protected by thermocol. I applied almost 6 meters of bubble wrap in the front & back panels and in other areas not covered by thermocol and that was it. There was actually two areas where the box had been damaged in handling when I picked it up after arriving in Chennai, but there was not even a scratch on the TV itself the bubble wraps had protected the TV well.

Ship it in factory packaging and use bubble wrap or multiple 10 mm thermocol sheets to protect the areas which is not protected in the factory packing. Bubble wrap & thermocol have a bit of give in that when sudden pressure (like when the package is dropped few centimeters) hits them, they actually give in (a bit like elastic) and take the pressure. Hence very less pressure reaches the TV. But please do not use clothes (even softer ones like microfiber) to add extra padding to the package. By experience, I can tell you that clothes can actually damage electronics when the packages are handled roughly.

Last edited:

LCD that you find in the grey market comes in flight with the OEM box,so you don't need any special packing,they then are transported by train to others parts of india.
While the box can get damaged at the sides,the lcd is well protected,

Last edited:
LCD that you find in the grey market comes in flight with the OEM box,so you don't need any special packing,they then are transported by train to others parts of india.
While the box can get damaged at the sides,the lcd is well protected,

adder, I am not so sure that it would not get damaged. Please see my response above. What you say may be right for manufacturers who provide very good packaging. On the other hand some manufacturers packaging is not very assuring like Sonys. I used bubble wrap to protect the front & back panels of my LCD TV and it helped a lot since there were major damages to the box where it covers the front & back panel. Not all boxes will get damaged, but having had the experience of my Sony HTiB that years ago getting damaged in shipment and requiring major repairs as soon as it landed in India, I would err on the side of being cautious. The packaging of the main unit of that Sony HTiB had a dent right in the middle of the rear panel and it looked like someone had hit it with a hammer.

I was talking about sony lcd packaging,the 05,06 lcds had thermocol at front and rear of tv ,from 07 the box size have decreased & the thermocol are located only on the edges, the 09,10 lcd packaging are even thinner.
Anyway there is nothing wrong in taking precautions. :) i used also add some amount of bubble rap in front of the screen

@ Topic

I had got a Bravia 32" LCD from Malaysia around 2 years back. And like someone else had mentioned Sony's packing is not very assuring.

The thermocol is just at the sides and not at front and rear. I took the gamble and gladly it paid off. Even the box wasnt damaged. But I have to say my heart was in my mouth until I plugged it in and checked all was fine.

1 thing you definitely should do is-

ASK FOR THE "FRAGILE" STICKERS FROM THE AIRLINE STAFF AND PASTE THEM ON ALL OVER THE BOX SO THAT THE CONCERNED STAFF HANDLES IT CAREFULLY.

I assume one would want to ship a fragile item like TV from abroad t save on the price. There is always a danger of TV getting damagd despite precutions.

Also, the warranty may not remain valid on being shippd to India.

No I'm not shipping from the US. I'm talking about a domestic flight from Delhi to Kolkata on Kingfisher. I'm getting the LCD in Delhi and then I'm going to Cal.

I was talking about sony lcd packaging,the 05,06 lcds had thermocol at front and rear of tv ,from 07 the box size have decreased & the thermocol are located only on the edges, the 09,10 lcd packaging are even thinner.
Anyway there is nothing wrong in taking precautions. :) i used also add some amount of bubble rap in front of the screen

Ok, from your initial post, I thought you were talking about current year models. I have purchased two Sony LCDs this year in Dubai and the packaging was worse. I suspect that Sony TV boxes can withstand long distance shipping only a couple of times. The cardboard box is very thin. Yes indeed doesn't hurt to take precautions:)

@Topic

I had got a Bravia 32" LCD from Malaysia around 2 years back. And like someone else had mentioned Sony's packing is not very assuring.

The thermocol is just at the sides and not at front and rear. I took the gamble and gladly it paid off. Even the box wasnt damaged. But I have to say my heart was in my mouth until I plugged it in and checked all was fine.

"@Topic"? I suppose all of are discussing the same topic!

Anyway, the 32 inch size may explain why your TV arrived safely. They are relatively smaller and can survive better in their original packaging. In comparison to 32 inch TV, 40 inch TVs are on an average 56% larger and hence there will be a corresponding increase in weight, fragility and risk of damage during shipment.

@
ASK FOR THE "FRAGILE" STICKERS FROM THE AIRLINE STAFF AND PASTE THEM ON ALL OVER THE BOX SO THAT THE CONCERNED STAFF HANDLES IT CAREFULLY.

Having traveled quite a few times, I can say that cargo handlers especially in India care the least about such stickers. It is safe to use additional bubble wrap or thermocol sheets to protect the TV.

No I'm not shipping from the US. I'm talking about a domestic flight from Delhi to Kolkata on Kingfisher. I'm getting the LCD in Delhi and then I'm going to Cal.

shredder, Just put in additional bubble wraps or thermocol to protect the front & back panels and it should be fine.

Usually the box packaging of these electronic components is designed to withstand a fair bit of abuse as they pass through the various distribution channels and transporters and so on, and I've generally seen people checking in their LCD/plasma TVs on international (and domestic) flights. Also, the biggest danger to fragile items is when bags are 'thrown' by the handlers. Something like an LCD TV would be too heavy to 'throw' so it's likely that on account of the sheer weight of it, it'll be handled with some amount of care (they wouldn't want to drop one on their feet either).

Considering these factors, it should be pretty safe to check in an LCD TV in its original packing. However, if it gives you greater peace of mind, by all means add some bubble wrap to it.

"@Topic"? I suppose all of are discussing the same topic!

Sometimes people are not talking on topic and are replying to someone's post. It didnt cost me anything to clarify a bit more.

I can say that cargo handlers especially in India care the least about such stickers. It is safe to use additional bubble wrap or thermocol sheets to protect the TV.

We should do what we can do......we cant control what cargo handlers would do!

Can anyone help me out in one doubt here. Which all courier companies do ship TV's domestically? I mean if I want to buy a LCD/Plasma here and want to get it shipped to another place(my natives) then what would be best way if I'm not travelling? Who normally handles these type of items? Any pointers will help and if anyone have done this before and share his experience then it'll be even more helpful.

Can anyone help me out in one doubt here. Which all courier companies do ship TV's domestically? I mean if I want to buy a LCD/Plasma here and want to get it shipped to another place(my natives) then what would be best way if I'm not travelling? Who normally handles these type of items? Any pointers will help and if anyone have done this before and share his experience then it'll be even more helpful.

KonfuSed, I have seen some forum members using GATI couriers to ship items. Recently magma shipped speaker stands (though not as fragile as LCD) to alcy through GATI. Check them out. Although when shipping items such as LCD TV through courier, you may want to insure the TV for shipping.

Sometimes people are not talking on topic and are replying to someone's post. It didnt cost me anything to clarify a bit more.

Agree. However, as far as I can see this thread has stayed on topic and thats what I was highlighting earlier.

We should do what we can do......we cant control what cargo handlers would do!

Yep. Doesn't cost us anything to stick the "Fragile" stickers all over.

KonfuSed, I have seen some forum members using GATI couriers to ship items. Recently magma shipped speaker stands (though not as fragile as LCD) to alcy through GATI. Check them out. Although when shipping items such as LCD TV through courier, you may want to insure the TV for shipping.
Thanks, yeah GATI ships even bikes so they can ship TV also but I guess it might be a test of luck? I don't wanna send a damaged TV home. And I suppose plasma will be even more fragile than LCD and might be a real bad idea to get shipped?
Anyway, if I myself is travelling then I can take the TV as my check in baggage, right? Only thing I need to worry about is the check-in charges for overweight. Am I right?
And another thing, say, instead of doing all this, can I pay the Samsung/LG dealer here and get the item delivered by their other shops in my natives? Something like taking gift coupons or proof of purchase with delivery option in my natives? I did that for my car in my natives but lucky to have the same dealership in both places. Any idea?

Last edited:
And another thing, say, instead of doing all this, can I pay the Samsung/LG dealer here and get the item delivered by their other shops in my natives? Something like taking gift coupons or proof of purchase with delivery option in my natives? I did that for my car in my natives but lucky to have the same dealership in both places. Any idea?

The price may vary at two places as different states have different rates of taxes. You will need to double check from the dealer about it.

@ konfused

I am not sure but you can also check with Bluedart. They are one of the best in the business.

If you have to send your "passport" via courier generally no courier company take the risk but Blue Dart does that efficiently. So maybe they have some deal for fragile items also.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back