Tribute to kishore da list your top 10

Hi,
My favourite singer is kishore kumar . i am a great fan of him . through this thread i invite every body on hifivision to give his/her favourite top 10 songs of kishore da and also give a tribute to the great singer. i start by giving my favourite top 10 songs of kishore da although i think the list of his songs is endless.

1. chingari koi bhadke (film : amar prem)
2. kuch to log kahenge ( film :amar prem)
3. o majhi re ( film :khushboo)
4. zindgi ka safar ( film :safar)
5. woh shaam kuch ajib thi ( film : khamoshi)
6. meri bhigi bhigi si ( film : anamika)
7. pal pal dil ke paas tum (film: balck mail)
8. hum bewafa (film : shalimar)
9. chalte chalte ( film : chalte chalte)
10. raat kali ek khwab me aayi ( film : buddha mil gaya)

Please list your fav kishore da's top 10 songs:)

Attachments

• kishore-kumar-020207.jpg
    kishore-kumar-020207.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 174
Nice list. I too like most of the songs from your list. As far sharing lists , music reviews and discussing music w/o bringing in any Hardware etc is concerned , you will always get a lukewarm or no responce on this forum. I tried that in the past. Reasons? Just watch the traffic on this forum for a week or so!

Hi Sushil and Suhas
Now i am not much into listening Hindi movie classics. But that does not mean I dont like them. I definately dont mind at all listening to them whenever it is played on radio or some TV channel

So please dont get offended when i say that I never knew all the songs Sushil has listed had been sung by Kishore Da. He is definately a legend, but its just that I have not followed much of older songs

Out of Sushils list I have heard the following and definately like listening to them

chingari koi bhadke
o majhi re
zindagi ka safar
meri bhigi bhigi si
pal pal dil ke paas tum
hum bewafa
chalte chalte
raat kali ek khwab me aayi

I would be going a little off topic but just out of curosity would you people who follow hindi movie classics would like such songs digitally remastered and presented in a better quality?
Or you would prefer that original tone?

There is one song of Kishore that always brings tears to my eyes and that is 'Choo Kar Mere Man Ko'. Of course nearly every song of Kishore is superb. Actually, very strangely, I never used to like Kishore for a long time, as I was leaning towards Rafi, Mukesh, and Talat. But over the last few years, I have kind of rediscovered Kishore, and am madly collecting as many songs as I can. May be what put me off was Kishore association with Rajesh Khanna where there were a number of very depressing songs. Though Mukesh also sang sad songs, they were sad, not depressing. For some reason I found some of Kishore's songs very depressing and used to avoid them. Of course I have changed now.

Hi Sushil and Suhas
I would be going a little off topic but just out of curosity would you people who follow hindi movie classics would like such songs digitally remastered and presented in a better quality?

Or you would prefer that original tone?

Rikhav for a long time, I was very firm that old films songs should be heard only with their cute scratch noises. But sometime ago, SareGama introduced what they called 'Classic Revivals', where they have cleaned all the old songs. They sound wonderful. I have heard both versions of many songs, and I can't identify any tone or emotion that has been left out in the remastered versions.

Cheers

There is one song of Kishore that always brings tears to my eyes and that is 'Choo Kar Mere Man Ko'. Of course nearly every song of Kishore is superb. Actually, very strangely, I never used to like Kishore for a long time, as I was leaning towards Rafi, Mukesh, and Talat. But over the last few years, I have kind of rediscovered Kishore, and am madly collecting as many songs as I can. May be what put me off was Kishore association with Rajesh Khanna where there were a number of very depressing songs.

Cheers

hi Venkatcr,
although kishore da was in film industry for a long time but he firmly found his foot in singing only after he started singing for Rajesh khanna ji and never looked back. kishore da has sung many romantic and jolly mood kind of songs for Rajesh khanna ji . i would just list a few.

1. jindgi ek safar hai suhana form film andaaz
2. mere sapno ki rani kab aayegi from film Aaradhana
3. roop tera mastana from film Aaradhana
4. yeh kya hua kaise hua from film Amar Prem
5. jeevan se bhari teri aankhen from film safar
6. o mere dil ke chain From mere jeevan saathi
7. deewan leke aayya hai from film mere jeevan saathi
8. hamein tum se pyaar kitna film kudrat
9. yeh jo mohabbat hai film kati patang
10. pyaar deewan hota hai from film kati patang
11. Yeh sham mastani from film kati patang

list is endless these songs are just few which comes instantly to my mind

as far as recording goes although saragam has a majority of kishore da songs in its collection but if you compare with universal, recording of universal records is much much better than saregama

Attachments

• kishore-kumar-020207-2.jpg
    kishore-kumar-020207-2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 148
Nice list. I too like most of the songs from your list. As far sharing lists , music reviews and discussing music w/o bringing in any Hardware etc is concerned , you will always get a lukewarm or no responce on this forum. I tried that in the past. Reasons?

Hello suhasG,
you are absolutly correct. in fact i have found that a majority of members on hifivision are more interested in discussing western music. i also love English songs but only a limited choice like pink floyd and george micheal. but i would still prefer that i take part in discussion regarding music which is from indian shores.

hi Venkatcr,

as far as recording goes although saragam has a majority of kishore da songs in its collection but if you compare with universal, recording of universal records is much much better than saregama

Sushil. I will certainly look up Universal. The recording I was referring to was a set of about 60 CDs that SaReGaMa (HMV/RPG) released a few years ago. They have a cross sections of songs from 1955 to about 1980. Roughly 800 odd songs.

Cheers

Wonderful set of songs cited by the members and a great thread by Sushil!

I am a die-hard fan of Kishore Kumar. I value versatility in artists and Kishore had versatility by the ton! He had the ability to emote through songs. More importantly he had the ability to give voice to a range of emotions - from extremely sad to pensive to happy to devil may care to soothing whispers to catcalls to raucous, bawdy hollering and of course his signature yodelling.

Now, it would be very difficult for any other singer to show the same kind of expertise across the sound spectrum as this genius. And when you consider that singing was not the only thing he did, well - the list becomes exclusive and the competition almost vanishes.

There are dozens of songs sung by Kishore that I cherish. It is going to be very hard for me to list down just a few. But I will make an attempt. Although I will have to ask you to bear with me if I make a few changes as and when my memory is rekindled and I have to revise my list:)

(In no particular order)

- Yeh Kya Hua

This is a very unique sad song. It flows fast and has almost a merry tempo but it stops at the end of each stanza and accentuates the pain. The beauty and genius of Kishore lie in portraying the ebb and flow of emotions. After all sorrow like anything else in this world is just not black and white. It has shades of grey.

- Jeevan se Bhari Teri Aankhen

The intensely dreamy quality of this song transports us to another world. A world where there is only you and your paramour and you speak and sing of her. Speak and sing of her in such ways that you would never find the heard to admit directly to her. A gem of a song. Wonderful composition which was given life and soul to by Kishore.

- O Majhi Re

This is a song you only to hear to associate it with the gentle sways of a boat on a river. Such is the power of the composition and of the singer. It also helps that the lyrics are immensely powerful.

- Koi Humdum Na Raha

A sad song which revels in the celebration of sorrow even as one drowns in it. The power and presence of Kishore's voice especially in the stanzas lift this from being a very good song to an invaluable gem.

- Koi Lauta De Mere

A sad song, a wistful song, a song which brazenly throws away reality and whimpers and aches for lost moments. A song in which Kishore gets to show off his skills of emoting at this finest. When he goes in that line 'Aise bhi din the Kabhi meri duniya thi meri' it is very hard for people to not identify with the concept and to not revel in self pity - that most common of emotions.

- Mere Naina Saawan Bha Do

One of the rare Kishore classicals. Pitch, presence and power - this song scores at all levels.

- Tum Bin Jaaoon Kahaan

A song in which Kishore easily upstages Rafi (as they both sang the same song). That this is a classically based song is another feather in the cap of Kishore. While this, in no way, demeans the powers of Rafi as a classical singer, this can be considered an honourable exception.

Again a wistful, achy song which never fails to pull at your heart strings.

- Woh Shaam Kuch Ajeeb thi

Talk of a dreamy song and you cannot miss this one. In fact this goes beyond dreamy. It steps into the realms of ethereal. Kishore's voice in this song goes far beyond the realms of normality and issues a quiet but strident call for trust in one's own love. An undying, ethereal love of almost divine quality. The lyrics are simply overpowering too.

- Deewana Leke Aaya hai

Another song which is worth hearing only to listen to Kishore's tuneful and powerful humming and the string notes. A mesmerizing song, gracefully sung.

- Jin Raaton Ki Bhor Nahin hai

An often neglected song composed by Kishore himself, this is an outstandingly sung piece. A piece full of lamentation and everlasting regret and a tangible bitterness. A song for the soulful.

- Jo Raah Chuni Tune

A song with a deep message which probably should have been sung by Manna Dey or by S.D.Burman I felt. But to do justice to this, Kishore has tried very hard. And succeeded.

Oops - I just noticed I got 11 instead of 10! Oh well, I will leave it on there. There are so many others that I have not mentioned here. And they do deserve mention. The problem, as always, is one of numbers and of prioritization. Tough, pretty tough.

But the above songs should give listeners a fair idea of the mastery over voice and emotions that Kishore showcased for a long time in Hindi cinema.

thanks thevortex,
the list you have provided also are my favourites. one more song which comes to my mind at this moment is " yeh dard bhara afsana sunle anjan" superbly sung by kishoreda.

Attachments

• kishore-kumar-020207.jpg
    kishore-kumar-020207.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 117
You are welcome Sushil! And yes, that is a lovely song. Its amazing how Kishore can imbibe a small but unmistakable dance quality to even a melancholy song.

Oh man this is a great thread because I was just discussing the same topic with my father who is a Rafi fan. Recently we picked up a "Best of Kishore Kumar" CD and I was blown away with the range of Kishore da's vocals.

Nikhil:

I just noticed this in your current systems - Philips "Chapathi" Player !!! What in gods name is this?:)

Cheers

well I will spend 90% of my time listening to Kishore Kumar when I finish with my new setup.
I like the fun songs more than the sad ones - depends on the mood though.

Some of my favourites:

Ek Ajnabi Hasina Se - Ajnabee
Yeh naina YEh kajal - Dil se mile dil.
Rimjhim gire saawan - Manjil
Ghungooroo ki tarah -
Chookar mere man ko
Saagar kinare

1.) Koi Humdum Na Raha (Jhumroo);great composition by him!!
2.) Zindagi Ka Safar(Safar)
3.) Roop Tera Mastana(Aradhana)
4.) Chingari Koi Bhadke (Amar Prem)
5.) Tum Bin Jaoon Kahaan (Pyaar Ka Mausam);especially the yodelling part
6.) Woh Shaam Kuch Ajeeb Thi (Khamoshi)
7.) Samaa Hai Suhana(Ghar Ghar Ki Kahaani)
8.) Zindagi Ke Safar Mein(Aap Ki Kasam)
9.) O Mere Dil Ke Chain (Mere Jeevan Sathi)
10.) Yeh Jeevan Hai (Piya Ka Ghar)

And just as you said, the list is endless!!!!!!
My tribute to the greatest singer Kishoreda!!!!!! hats off! :clapping:

My Favorite Top 10 Songs

Sad

Kabhi Palkon Pe Aansoo - Harjaai
Hum Bewafa - Shalimaar
Na Koi Dil Mein - Aa Gale Lag Ja
O Manjhi Re - Khushaboo
Phir Wahi Rat Hai - Ghar

Melody

O Hansni Kahan Ud Chali - Zehreela Insaan
Ek Roz Main Tadap - Bemisaal
Chala Jata Hoon - Mere Jeevan Saathi
O Mere Dil Ke Chain - Mere Jeevan Saathi
Main Akela Apni Dhun Mein - Manapasand

As a long time Kishore Kumar admirer and die hard fan, I have started building my own choice of songs, a bit hatke. I like all those songs listed here but they are everybody's favourite. Exclusive list:-

1. Maine tumse kuchh nahin manga (Katha)
2. Ek Ajnabi haseena se (Ajnabee)
3. Moti ho to bandh ke rakh doo (Daulat)
4. Janeman Janeman, Janeman kisika naam nahin
5. Phoolon ke range se
6. Aap Sa Koi Haseen (Chandi Sona)
7. Tune humein kya diya re
8. Shokhiyon Mein Ghola Jaye (Prem Pujari)
9. Rahon Pe Rehte hain (Namkin)
10. Gulmohar Gar Tumhara Naam Hota (Devta)
11. Har Haseen Cheez Ka Main Talabgar (Saudagar)

** Please don't misunderstand me, I like all the common, hit, award winning Kishore Kumar songs. These are exclusive songs :)

All of above and ..
Few look like missed in the list ->

Hamein Tumse Pyar Kitna - Kudrat ( based of Raaga Shivranjini) also sung by Lata ji and Parveen Sultana ji's version.
Ina mina dika - Asha
Main Hoon Zoomaroo (Title song of Zoomaroo)
Ek Ladki Bhigi Bhagisi (Chalti ka naam gaadi)
Ruk Jaana nahi Haarke

List will never end for me :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back