Trouble with Panasonic microwave owen.

dotMac

Hello,

My apologies if this is a wrong place to post this.

This post is about the Panasonic microwave owen NN-C784MF. This is not listed in Indian Panasonic website but found on Malaysian site.

I bought it two week back. After a week of usage(though not heavy usage), the owen has developed a strange problem. The Grill/Convection/Combination mode works perfectly. The Microwave mode stops after 3 seconds of operation. This is random. i.e. Microwave some times works and sometime stops. If it stops it is exactly after 3 seconds. The service man had come and acknowledge that such a problem could come and said a circuit board will be replaced.

Are there anyone here who use this model? Did you ever face this issue?
I just want to know whether this is a flaw in this model.

A owen going kapot with just a week of usage seems odd. Also the way the service man got convinced about the issue, I feel suspicious about it.

Though I may be getting a new replacement(or a free repair), I would like to return the product in case many Users have faced the same problem.

Thanks.

I feel uncomfortable with a new item being repaired --- it means we bought a refurbished thing, not a new one! However, it seems to be fairly standard here, with dealers not wanting to take any more responsibility after taking the cash.

On the other hand... with the new board, if it works just fine?

nb... in English it is an oven; we do not pronounce w as v --- but Owen is an common English family name, to spell checkers do not catch it.

... The Microwave mode stops after 3 seconds of operation. This is random. i.e. Microwave some times works and sometime stops. If it stops it is exactly after 3 seconds. The service man had come and acknowledge that such a problem could come and said a circuit board will be replaced.

This could be due a number of issues. For instance,

something in the relay is making the mwave think its completed the cooking time

some relay or conneciton to the door may be loose making the mwave think the door is open causing it to shut off

there could be an issue with a chip on the circuit board causing it to flilp ...

With that said, there are some solutions that have worked before if you are out of warranty and have basic DIY skills

You could open upt he control panel behind the foil and reconnect or check the connections.

You could try to replace the glass platter with a heavier one or simply add a ceramic (microwavable) plate on top of the glass so the relay does not think the cooking time is over....

FInally if someone is fixing it for you, then go for it. microwaves are those types of machine that choke early on or work for years if you are reasonable careful with them and maintain them. They are very cheap electronics with low maintenance.

Also this is not limited to Panasonic - quite a few brands are plagued by the issue.

Tough luck, man.

I had a full internal stainless 27 L sensor cook, invertor drive MWO, purchased in India, some 5 years ago.

It was a state-of-the-art machine, while it was working. Did not even have to stand in front of the machine to do regular inspection of the food (to be heated or cooked) due to the sensor cook function. It operated like a dream for 4 years before THE malfunction.

Once it happened, then ....... virtually, no back up :mad: from Panasonic. A local Panasonic dealer after inspection said there was something wrong with the power board, and replacement cost was @ Rs. 7500. To top it all, there was no word from the Panasonic main sales office in Delhi .... even after repeated follow-ups.

Disgusted .... dumped that machine, and bought a simple MWO (price Rs. 7500) from LG,..... now, after checking the after sales service records of the company.

Suggest, try to call Panasonic's service direct. If you don't get any response, DUMP the box ..... and swear never to procure ANY equipment from that company. I came very close to buy a C10 Plasma from Panasonic 3 months ago, but the previous experience stopped me from going ahead. Contemplating to get this gadget from LG now ......

That is a very bad experience, and I am not surprised that it has put you off the brand.

My Panasonic is about six years old and has not given any trouble --- but it is of the simpler kind, being only microwave + grill and I have never used the grill. It does not like low voltage, and I connect it via a stabiliser.

It is very sad when we hear of manufacturers that are respected world-wide giving bad performance and bad service in India. Had been thinking that Panasonic was one of the better makes for AC (not in the market at the moment, but we have one Samsung that keeps giving trouble) now it looks as if I had better think again.

The local service personnel refused to give a new piece. I then called the Panasonic regional head in Chennai. He was given the report that the transformer had blown off due to a surge. I complained that how can they report about a blown up transformer even without opening the oven!!
He was shocked that the local serviceman didn't even do the inspection right.

I insisted that whatever may be the technical issue, I would not be accepting a repaired piece unless they prove that it was my usage fault. The regional head then assured that he will look into the matter and get back.

The next day, my local dealer sent me a new piece. He told me that Panasonic had asked him to deliver it.

I have informed them that if this piece also develops the same fault, I would want a full refund.
I happy that Panasonic considered for a replacement.

On the other note, the box that contained the new piece did not have the staples on them. Appeared that it was opened after the box had left the factory. However the plastic covering the whole box was intact. Planning to call that Chennai manager again and report it.

The new oven is working and the device itself looks new. So it is at-least a refurbished unit. Since the screws are not painted, I cannot make out whether it was opened. Looks and feels new.

I was anticipating some feedback from forum readers who have this model. Looks like its not so popular here.

Panasonic's marketing is a mess ......... after sales service is a bigger mess.

Only lately, have I found they are going overboard with their TV advertisements.

The product may be good, better than the rest, and, of up-to-date technology..... BUT, what about after-sales-service .....? .... zilch....

I remember contemplating getting in touch with their HO in Japan to consider taking me on as their India CEO :lol: .... Would have set right their entire operations and could have given the Koreans a run for their money.

But, realized that they would be looking out for an MBA. I am not one, and somehow not acceptable .... since MBA = MUCH BELOW AVERAGE ... :eek:hyeah:

dotMac.... Looks like a good outcome, and I hope it stays that way.

Suppliers and retailers are so short-sighted. Even if this oven works well for life, you will still be left with a bad impression of the brand, and may not buy it again. I wish they would just think a little.

Possible that your oven may have been unpacked for testing before delivery?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back