Trying to setup HT for first time

harsha1101

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to setup a HT for the first time. It is for a living space (190 sq.ft area, with one side open) and not an exclusive room.
Also i am constrained with space for placement of front-left and front-right speakers. Cannot do a tower or bookshelf and have to settle with satellite speakers on either side of the TV ( have 6 inches of space on either side).

With the above constraints i have browsed online for possible options and narrowed down to
1. Monitor Audio Mass gen 2. (around 90,000rs)
2. Q Acoustics q7000i. (around 90,000rs)
3. Focal SIB 5.1 (around 70,000rs)

Can you please let me if the above options are good and help me choose one for my requirements.

I am planning to buy Denon AVR-X1600H or Denon AVR-X550BT to power the speakers.

Also, though i want to setup the system myself, i am a little worried about placements/calibration etc. Are there any services available in Hyderabad who can help me with just installation and not with products purchase.

PS: Also, i saw few comments mentioning that it is better to avoid buying the sub-woofers in these packages and go for a separate one to get a better low-sound effects. Will be glad if you can comment on that too.

Appreciate your help,

- Harsha.

Thanks @rksingh1 . That was a good watch.

Also, I have been hearing that a 5.1 is not worth for my setup. As i have open wall on one side and the front left and right should be very close to the TV. (65'' LG CX) . Is is better to go for a 2.1.2 or 3.1.2 setups in my case ? Also with these constraints, should i consider a soundbar instead of spending on a full setup.

1608173060516.png

Thanks @rksingh1 . That was a good watch.

Also, I have been hearing that a 5.1 is not worth for my setup. As i have open wall on one side and the front left and right should be very close to the TV. (65'' LG CX) . Is is better to go for a 2.1.2 or 3.1.2 setups in my case ? Also with these constraints, should i consider a soundbar instead of spending on a full setup.

View attachment 52949
A decent 5.1.2 can be done in this layout.

Your TV wall is 12.5 feet? 65 inch TV width is 5.6 feet. Even if you allow 3 feet for the door, there should be enough space for 5.1.2 dolby atmos system as correctly mentioned.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to setup a HT for the first time. It is for a living space (190 sq.ft area, with one side open) and not an exclusive room.
Also i am constrained with space for placement of front-left and front-right speakers. Cannot do a tower or bookshelf and have to settle with satellite speakers on either side of the TV ( have 6 inches of space on either side).

With the above constraints i have browsed online for possible options and narrowed down to
1. Monitor Audio Mass gen 2. (around 90,000rs)
2. Q Acoustics q7000i. (around 90,000rs)
3. Focal SIB 5.1 (around 70,000rs)

Can you please let me if the above options are good and help me choose one for my requirements.

I am planning to buy Denon AVR-X1600H or Denon AVR-X550BT to power the speakers.

Also, though i want to setup the system myself, i am a little worried about placements/calibration etc. Are there any services available in Hyderabad who can help me with just installation and not with products purchase.

PS: Also, i saw few comments mentioning that it is better to avoid buying the sub-woofers in these packages and go for a separate one to get a better low-sound effects. Will be glad if you can comment on that too.

Appreciate your help,

- Harsha.

Can you share an actual picture of the room if you have moved in already, that would help in suggesting what would be the best way forward. I say this because the 3020i/Concept 20 are not very large and can be easily wallmounted with a small glass slab being fixed to the wall. Bookshelfs make a very good difference for both stereo and movies alike over satellite speakers.

If you feel that you need to mandatorily go for satellites than @drkrack has Monitor Audio Mass in his setup for surrounds if am not wrong, he can shed some more light on the same. I have read stellar reviews on the QAcoustics q7000i series while I was evaluating 5.1 systems in the past.

I have not moved in and wood work is still going on. the plan for the TV wall is below. The left of the TV shelf is left for door opening doing a wall mount or tower is not possible. Similarly, on the right we have a cupboard and cannot do a wall mount. My only option is to do satellite speaker just beside TV mounted onto the TV panel or place bookshelves on the bottom cupboard.

I should have planned a little early but as this is my first time did not think all these things then. :(.

If a 5.1 or 5.1.2 is not possible ... then my fallback is to buy to 3.1/3.1.2 setup with good bookshelves and center channel (at add atmos later).

On a sidenote, even though i dont do surrounds now ...I am planning to run pipe across ceiling to the opposite wall and keep the cabling ready ...just in case. Finolex/Polycab 1.5 sq.mm 2 cord cable should be good enough for this right. Also, running one pipe from TV wall to opposite wall and then it divides into at the other end for two surrounds (like a T shape). Running single two speaker cables in the same pipe should not matter much right or i should do two independent pipes.

1608198166436.png

I have not moved in and wood work is still going on. the plan for the TV wall is below. The left of the TV shelf is left for door opening doing a wall mount or tower is not possible. Similarly, on the right we have a cupboard and cannot do a wall mount. My only option is to do satellite speaker just beside TV mounted onto the TV panel or place bookshelves on the bottom cupboard.

I should have planned a little early but as this is my first time did not think all these things then. :(.

If a 5.1 or 5.1.2 is not possible ... then my fallback is to buy to 3.1/3.1.2 setup with good bookshelves and center channel (at add atmos later).

On a sidenote, even though i dont do surrounds now ...I am planning to run pipe across ceiling to the opposite wall and keep the cabling ready ...just in case. Finolex/Polycab 1.5 sq.mm 2 cord cable should be good enough for this right. Also, running one pipe from TV wall to opposite wall and then it divides into at the other end for two surrounds (like a T shape). Running single two speaker cables in the same pipe should not matter much right or i should do two independent pipes.

View attachment 52958

No worries, all of us make some or the other mistakes whilst planning. I too had overdone the TV Unit and hence there was no place for floorstanders there. The design make sme think bookshelfs can be easily achieved, can you let us know how much space is there below the TV unit and above the shelf and also you mentioned 6 inches to both left and right of the TV right ?

TV is not yet mounted. So can move it as per the center channel.
so the panel is 65'' wide and my 65'' inch TV would take arnd 57'' width and i will left with 4'' on either side. On left side i have 6'' of wall space and on right side i have wooden plank of 12'' inches. So either i can mount the L/R on the TV panel (4'' gap) or go a little beyond and put the L on the wall and R on the wooden plank.

Your TV unit is somewhat similar to mine. But mine was 69 inches. Please do refer to my HT thread on for how I have placed my TV and speakers for some understanding. My television is 40 inches. I got suggestions for rising the Center speakers but this is all I could do.

Thanks @jagadeeshwarank . Gone through your thread. The spacing constraints looked similar to mine.

after more hours on fourms, below is what i have in mind now. (moving away from my earlier choice of satellites towards smaller bookshelves (anything less than 11'' depth)). Will be glad if anyone can provide their suggestions.

AVR - Denon 1600h - 65K
L&R - QA 3020i - 22K
Center - QA 3090Ci - 22K
Sub - yet to decide - (in range of 20-25K)
Surround - Will expand later with some small ones from QA or Polk/Klipsch.

Not sure if i can audition such a customized setup. For speakers WOX Studio (near kondapur) has QA speakers. not sure if they are 3020i/3090Ci.

Pls advice.

PS: Wanted to limit the AVR budget in 40-45 range ..but if we need wifi then i have to spend more i guess :(. For longer life of the AV, felt wifi is mandatory to get the firmware updates etc.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back